Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Motorcycle Shipping Who to use?  (Read 10043 times)

uawman

• Full CVO Member
Any shipping referrals?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 05:30:25 PM »

I bought a bike in AZ and need it shipped to St. Louis area. I've had experience with shippers when I sold a couple of CVO's
and didn't really care for their methods. One guy came with a 3/4 ton truck and a long trailer packed full of different crap.
He spent about an hour unloading stuff in my front yard and then I had to help him get the bike (2011 SERG bought on this website) in the trailer in which he marred the fairing. I called the buyer and gave him a heads-up.
 What I'm asking for is "First Hand"  experience with a shipper he could recommend.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
Re: Any shipping referrals?
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 06:06:13 PM »

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 06:07:12 PM »

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 06:19:09 PM »

Looks like a nice two day ride. That way you have it quicker. Most transport companies takes 3-4 weeks.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Motorcycle Shipping Who to use?
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 06:53:26 PM »

Keyboard Carriage Motorcycle shipping. 

They have special built steel pallets that they load your bike on so that if the tie downs came loose they still couldn't possibly bang in to each other.  They only haul the two most fragile things.....pianos and motorcycles (not in the same trucks).

Jon and I shipped from Sacramento to Atlanta......no issues!  I know of many other members on this forum that have used them with no issues.  As a matter of fact, I don't ever recall hearing or reading about any issues with them.  :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 09:45:29 PM »

GMR has my bike now, Massachusetts to Texas. Keyboard Carriage is the shipper they offer a round trip discount and claim they did all the shipping for OCC. My bike was loaded onto a well used wooden pallet and I had to instruct the driver to attach the soft ties to the triple tree and not the top of the engine case guard, I'll try to post a pic or two.  Steve inspected my bike when it arrived at his shop he noted the bike arrived unscathed "PHEW" I was sure nervous as all hell. My bike left here and went back to their shipping facility in Kentucky for about a week then to Texas total shipping time was less than three weeks......BostonBoy

BostonboyDH

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 09:58:09 PM »

I tried to post a pic I took with my Iphony but the file is too large  :nixweiss:

uawman

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 06:35:12 AM »

Looks like a nice two day ride. That way you have it quicker. Most transport companies takes 3-4 weeks.

Kind of leaning that way.
Ironically I was three hours away (Phoenix) a couple of days before I bought this one located in Sierra Vista, AZ.
Any locals on here?

mark

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2016, 09:58:38 AM »

Keyboard Carriage Motorcycle shipping. 

They have special built steel pallets that they load your bike on so that if the tie downs came loose they still couldn't possibly bang in to each other.  They only haul the two most fragile things.....pianos and motorcycles (not in the same trucks).

Jon and I shipped from Sacramento to Atlanta......no issues!  I know of many other members on this forum that have used them with no issues.  As a matter of fact, I don't ever recall hearing or reading about any issues with them.  :nixweiss:

I spoke to the owner of Keyboard one year at Sturgis while his guys were unloading a couple of his 18 wheelers.  He went thru the entire loading, shipping, unloading process, and how his pallet system works, etc.  Also, the owner and his daughter both had their personal CVOs there, which were immaculate...another indicator that I liked.  Based on what I saw, I wouldn't hesitate to use them.  Also, the trailers he had at Sturgis were set up with an upper and lower deck, so it did require the removal of your windshield, but they had soft bags or a wrap for that too.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2016, 09:39:06 PM »

What happened to actually riding your bike??

A "friend" asked if I would consider trailer my bike to Sturgis this year??????

WTF?  1,300 miles is an easy two days? 

I am sure there are good reasons for shipping especially if you are handicapped or really old. (Well snow is a darn good reason to)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2016, 11:24:17 PM »

What happened to actually riding your bike??

A "friend" asked if I would consider trailer my bike to Sturgis this year??????

WTF?  1,300 miles is an easy two days? 

I am sure there are good reasons for shipping especially if you are handicapped or really old. (Well snow is a darn good reason to)

Unless somebody wants to smell the flowers along the way.

I used to think just like you.  Until we had a cross country ocean to ocean trip planned, visiting several people along the way, seeing the sites and cramming in a few days at the Cripple Creek, Colorado GTG....all of that in only 13 days.  We were trying to cram 20 days worth of things to do in two weeks of vacation so no choice but to ship one way.  Another situation.....when I moved 1,000 miles away I had to drive my truck with a loaded trailer.    Heat is another factor.....if it's in the triple digits and you're not able to spend hours in that kind of weather without getting heat sick.  There's a few other reasons I'm aware of now that are damn valid reasons that I didn't consider when I was a little less experienced.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 01:28:14 PM »

Just curious. What are these guys charging a mile for delivery?
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 02:51:07 PM »

I have used Federal a couple times.   What I like about them is that they have a terminal only 20 miles from my house.  So I ride my bike to the terminal and load and strap my bike to the pallet myself.

I then ship the bike to a terminal near to my destination.  They will then move the bike from the terminal with a forklift to the parking lot and then I remove the bike from the pallet myself.

You are able to inspect the bike while it is still on the pallet....no problems on four shipments. 

This also save couple hundred buck from the curb to curb delivery.

When I picked my bike up at the Salt Lake terminal, I was amazed at how many bikes they had palletized in the terminal....at least 50 of them.

luc.who

• Senior CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Slate gray/Black
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2017, 06:36:33 AM »

Hey guys I know this is an old thread.. I am in nebraska and having some issues with my bike... primary noise, tranny?  and it needs some motor work ..so I am looking to ship my bike to wide open cycles in Va... he has done great work for me before i moved west....so I am looking at calling keyboard shipping. 

Anyone use them recently?  Still recommended?
2012 FLHXSE3 Slate Gray/ Diamond Black
Drago Heads & 580 Cams
118 HP and 125 TQ
Built & Tuned by Wide Open Cycles in Virginia
TTS Master Tuner
Fullsac DX Header
Rinehart 4inch slip ons

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 12:05:52 AM »

When I bought my bike in Bend Oregon (I live in San Diego) Oct 13th I got stuck in the largest storm to hit the Pacific Northwest since 1984 and ended up having to stop in Medford and ship bike. Dealer suggested Haulbikes.com that they use regularly. At the time they had a $450 deal from anywhere to anywhere so since dealer recommended anyway I used them. Service was excellent with great communication every step of the way. Picked bike day up they said they would and dropped off day promised with no delays.
I absolutely will use them if I need to ship a bike again.
Alan
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.538 seconds with 21 queries.