Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Lifetime HOG membership change?  (Read 8487 times)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Lifetime HOG membership change?
« on: November 24, 2012, 05:02:41 PM »

I received and email today from my local HOG chapter that stated that HOG National has changed the policy concerning Lifetime membership.
According to the local chapter you can be a National Lifetime member but you can't be a local lifetime member anymore! They are choosing to allow you to keep the lifetime status locally if you have continually signed a waiver each year and continue to do so. If you fail to sign a waiver each year then you are dropped from their rolls and you have to join again and pay yearly dues!!!!!!
Seems to me a waiver is just to deal with liability issues at club rides and events not a membership issue.

I know many on this site are not HOG members but those who are members have you run into this issue locally?

I guess Lifetime doesn't mean lifetime anymore!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Lifetime HOG membership change?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 05:15:08 PM »

Have been a life member for some gawdawful number of years I can't remember.  Had a GF at the time who thought it was cool and (then) it was cheap.  So for a h.....  well, I joined.  Never did the local thing though.  Seemed like all I ever heard of them doing was riding a few blocks from the dealership to go to dinner.  Of course I never listened that closely.  Come to think of it that played some role with that ex-GF too....

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 05:27:10 PM »

Have been a life national member for many years and have had to pay local dues at several different chapters. As far as I ever knew that was always the way it worked. Anyway, what's another $25 a year, last year I spent $100,000.00 at the dealer including my bike. If you want to play the game you got to pay the entry fee.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 05:44:25 PM »

My suggestion, get a Life Membership in the NRA rather than HOG, that does something to support our rights.  HOG Gives you nothing.   :nixweiss:
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 06:13:59 PM »

Only National H.O.G. offers Lifetime memberships.  The local chapters have never had that category.  National does not dictate to them except to limit how much to charge for dues.  The maximum amount was $24 as of a couple years ago - may have gone up I don't know.

With that said our local chapter has for some time given gratis annual memberships to a couple of old timers who were instrumental in getting the chapter started over 25 years ago.

While membership in National H.O.G. is a prerequisite for joining a local chapter none of the dues paid for National membership goes to the local chapter.  All funds for the local chapters come from the chapter themselves in the form of dues, fundraisers, etc., and maybe from the sponsoring dealer.  National H.O.G. does not give any monetary support to the local chapters.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 06:29:45 PM »

Local Chapters have always had a membership fee, usually in the $20.00 range.  There has never been a Life Membership at the local Chapter level.  You need to be a National Member to join a local Chapter though but you don't have to belong to any local Chapters if you don't want to.  You can also join as many Chapters as you like.

Cheers, Moe
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 07:37:37 PM »

I have been a national member since I got back in to riding (Harley's) and was a chapter member for a few years. Currently I'm still a national member but don't belong to a chapter... didn't participate in the local meetings/events so decided not to belong to local chapter anymore.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 03:05:54 AM »

I was wondering how widespread the local chapter issue was. I guess many local chapters didn't offer lifetime status.
My local chapter had a lifetime status that you could buy if you had a national lifetime membership.(I think you had to be a member for something like 5 years before you could buy lifetime status.)
My disagreement is that I was told for X amount of dollars I would have a Lifetime National membership with no additional fees, then locally I paid X amount of dollars and was told no more dues and I would be a local member for life.
The local chapter is now saying if you had missed signing the waiver or in the future if you fail to sign one year then you just wasted the money you paid  to get a lifetime local membership and have to start paying yearly dues.
I know chapter membership is optional and not necessary to ride my H-D. To me it just comes across as paying for something that was promised and is now taken away. I used the dealership HOG member discount a lot and now I run the risk of loosing that benefit as well or I have to start paying yearly dues to get the discount , something I thought was over for me too.

As far as the NRA over HOG, I agree with protection of rights. I have been a Benefactor Life member there for years. Maybe a membership to the American Motorcyclist Association is a better option for membership if i want my money to protect motorcycling rights?
http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 03:09:38 AM by VaEagle »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 10:10:39 AM »

The local chapter's life membership was obviously just a local chapter thing.  When purchased what documentation did they provide?  What terms or exclusions were used to define "life" and how the program may or may not end?

The chapter may not have the option to do what they're doing now based on how the initial "life" membership was purchased.  Or you may not have a leg to stand on relative to every whim and whimsy of an idea they'd like to change.  Will depend on the details of the agreement when you purchased.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 10:15:39 AM »

If you survive long enough, everything you purchase/join/etc. will be a 'lifetime' membership/guarantee.  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »

I'm Lifetime and just pay my local dues to keep my 15% discount with the dealer. We do a lot of Pick Up rides on weekdays around here and let the HOG chapters have the roads on weekends.

Willie D

• Senior CVO Member
  • Live Life at Full Throttle !

• CVO1: FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: FXDWG2
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 11:45:18 AM »

Only National H.O.G. offers Lifetime memberships.  The local chapters have never had that category.  National does not dictate to them except to limit how much to charge for dues.  The maximum amount was $24 as of a couple years ago - may have gone up I don't know.

With that said our local chapter has for some time given gratis annual memberships to a couple of old timers who were instrumental in getting the chapter started over 25 years ago.

While membership in National H.O.G. is a prerequisite for joining a local chapter none of the dues paid for National membership goes to the local chapter.  All funds for the local chapters come from the chapter themselves in the form of dues, fundraisers, etc., and maybe from the sponsoring dealer.  National H.O.G. does not give any monetary support to the local chapters.

Sounds like Our Chapter. Life Member is only for National.
 :2vrolijk_21:
'Keep your Knees in the Breeze'
01 FXDWG- 11,000 + sold
02 FLHRSEI-66k + traded
New 06 FLTRI - Sold
08 XL1200 N - sold
2010 FLSTFB - Trade
2012 FLSTSE3 - Satin Pewter - 'Brush Gold'
2015 BMW F700GS
2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse  TS 111

Master Guns

• Senior CVO Member
  • USMC MGySgt Retired (1968 - 1990)

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 12:13:07 PM »

I've never heard of local chapter members getting a discount at the Harley Dealer.  Is this an individual chapter/dealer thing or is it common practice?  I belong to High Country HOG.
Semper Fi

You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 12:19:24 PM »

I've never heard of local chapter members getting a discount at the Harley Dealer.  Is this an individual chapter/dealer thing or is it common practice?  I belong to High Country HOG.
It's pretty common (or was, until the recession has changed operating behaviors) around these parts of the country.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 07:16:16 PM »

Some dealers switched to a points system, but my dealer still has 10% off for chapter members and 15% off for charter members.

SupDude

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 10:09:32 PM »

Many years ago I was the Membership Officer in a HOG Chapter.   In order to join a local chapter you must first be a national member. Several of our members had lifetime National HOG Memberships.  National members still had to pay annual dues to the local chapter every year.  If someone's national membership expired in the middle of the year their local membership was suspended until they rejoined Nationl.  That was my experience.   I have not been a member of a HOG Chapter in many years so things may have changed.
2013 CVO Road Glide Anniversary

ultrarider123

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 08:29:33 AM »

Been a national HOG member for a while now but have not moved to Life membership.  I should have years ago when it was much cheaper... :nixweiss:   Not sure if our local chapters offer the lifetime deal but have not ever heard it mentioned so would assume they do not.

As for local chapters and discounts, the local dealers have their own discount program but also have some specials for the local HOG chapter members.  Both the K'ville chapter and SMHD/Maryville chapters are very active here in East Tennessee.  However, I chose not to be a member of the local groups.  I was in a home owners association once and did not like it.  Went to a couple local HOG meetings and felt about the same as the HOA meetings and decided it was not for me.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 08:31:47 AM by Ultrarider1 »

Yoda

• Full CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Black Onyx, Heavy Breather, SE Slip Ons, HDRT, 10.5/1 pistons, 263E Cams
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 09:37:46 AM »

I do not claim to be an expert.  I inquired about chapter life memberships when I was the Director of our local chapter and got some education on the matter from both our local dealer and National HOG.  What if the dealerships goes out of business?  What if the dealership decides to close the HOG Chapter?  What if the dealership is sold and the new owner does not want a HOG Chapter?  Now you could use some of the same argument with National HOG life memberships also.  Just my experience.
I have gone to a lifetime HOG membersip and I hope I have the years left in the saddle to reap the benefits of it.

Yoda

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 09:50:34 AM »

Just wondering--(too lazy to look)--does anyone know how much Life Membership to National is?
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Yoda

• Full CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon Copper & Black Onyx, Heavy Breather, SE Slip Ons, HDRT, 10.5/1 pistons, 263E Cams
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 09:55:54 AM »

Current prices are as follows (in $US):
Full membership: One year: $45
Two years: $85
Three years: $120
Associate membership: One year: $25
Two years: $45
Three years: $65
Full life membership: $650
Full life membership after five consecutive years of membership:  $400
Associate life membership:  $325
Associate life membership after five consecutive years of membership:  $200

Note: Memberships are non-refundable and non-transferable.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 01:21:57 PM »

I've got more than 5 yrs in so far, so it looks like a lifetime membership would be a good deal. Thanks
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 04:32:46 PM »

Our Local Chapter has only charged $15/yr for quite some time... and the only "Lifetime" members of the Local Chapter are the Charter members.

We're actually dropping out Local Dues for 2013, but the Liability Signature is still a requirement to be on the Local register and to participate in anything the Chapter does as a group.   8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 21 queries.