Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: New Electric Harley?  (Read 11110 times)

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
Re: New Electric Harley?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 08:35:36 AM »

I'd rather have your 2009 Yellow Bird than any electric bike. Just saying.

:2vrolijk_21:

YB
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 08:36:01 AM »

The CVO street version would of course get special paint and upgraded batteries to extend the range from 65 miles to 74 miles. The long distance touring model will come with solar panel saddlebags and a really, really long extension cord. The CVO touring model also adds 3 years of free towing to the nearest charging station for when you get beyond the battery range. :2vrolijk_21:
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 08:40:03 AM »

Project Livewire. WhaWhaWha.  :soapbox:

Some electric sport bike wannabe that you can't buy but can ride on a Livewire Tour IF you live in New York, Boston, or Philly.

HD can't get the compensator, crank or tappets in the new bikes right but wanna go electric?? Just the thought of all them volts running through that Livewire, and given Harleys past history with "new things" like watercooling, makes my boys tingle. ZZZAP!!!

Heck, they'd have to have saddlebags full of battery packs to get up to HBRR standards.  ;D ;D
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 08:54:33 AM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/harley-davidson-introduces-electric-motorcycle-24207699

Harley-Davidson Introduces Electric Motorcycle

MILWAUKEE — Jun 19, 2014, 7:59 AM
By M.L. JOHNSON Associated Press
Associated Press

Harley-Davidson will unveil its first electric motorcycle next week, and President Matt Levatich said he expects the company known for its big touring bikes and iconic brand to become a leader in developing technology and standards for electric vehicles.

Harley will show handmade demonstration models Monday at an invitation-only event in New York. The company will then take several dozen riders on a 30-city tour to test drive the bikes and provide feedback. Harley will use the information it gathers to continue refining the bike, which might not hit the market for several more years.

The venture is a risk for Harley because there's currently almost no market for full-size electric motorcycles. The millions of two-wheeled electric vehicles sold each year are almost exclusively scooters and low-powered bikes that appeal to Chinese commuters. But one analyst said investment by a major manufacturer could help create demand, and Levatich emphasized in an interview with The Associated Press that Harley is interested in the long-term potential, regardless of immediate demand.

"We think that the trends in both EV technology and customer openness to EV products, both automotive and motorcycles, is only going to increase, and when you think about sustainability and environmental trends, we just see that being an increasing part of the lifestyle and the requirements of riders," Levatich said. "So, nobody can predict right now how big that industry will be or how significant it will be."

At the same time, Levatich and others involved in creating the sleek, futuristic LiveWire predicted it would sell based on performance, not environmental awareness. With no need to shift gears, the slim, sporty bike can go from 0 to 60 mph in about 4 seconds. The engine is silent, but the meshing of gears emits a hum like a jet airplane taking off.

"Some people may get on it thinking, 'golf cart,'" lead engineer Jeff Richlen said. "And they get off thinking, 'rocket ship.'"

One hurdle the company has yet to address is the limited range offered by electric motorcycles. The batteries must be recharged after about 130 miles, and that can take 30 minutes to an hour.

San Jose State University police Capt. Alan Cavallo helped his department buy two bikes from Zero Motorcycles, the current top-selling brand, and said officers have been "super happy" with the quiet, environmentally friendly bikes made nearby in Scotts Valley, California. But he said American riders who like to hit the highway would likely lose patience with the technology.

"That's the deal with the cars; you can't jump in a Tesla and drive to LA, it won't make it," Cavallo said, adding later, "People want the convenience of 'I pull into a gas station, I pour some gas in my tank and I go.'"

Zero Motorcycles introduced its first full-size motorcycle in 2010 and expects to sell about 2,400 bikes this year, said Scott Harden, the company's vice president of global marketing. That would give it about half of the global market for full-size, high-powered electric motorcycles.

In comparison, Harley-Davidson alone sold more than 260,000 conventional motorcycles last year.

But John Gartner, a research director for the consulting firm Navigant, said having large, well-funded companies get into the electric motorcycle market could give it a significant boost. The major automakers helped drive sales for hybrid and electric cars, he noted.

"Their marketing budgets are much larger and they have dealerships set up everywhere, and so it's much easier for companies like Ford, BMW and Honda to advertise about their electric vehicles," he said.

Levatich said true growth will require common standards for rapid charging and other features, as well as places for people to plug in. Harley expects to play a key role in developing electric vehicle standards, and its dealership network could provide charging stations to serve all drivers, he said.

"We've been very silent up to this point about our investment in EV technology," Levatich said. "... but now that we're public, and we're in this space, we expect to be involved and a part of leading the development of the standards, and the technology and the infrastructure necessary to further the acceptance and the utility of electric vehicles."

After all these years, they finally make a real Electra-Glide...
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultrarider123

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 09:02:49 AM »

After all these years, they finally make a real Electra-Glide...[/i]

Now DAT'S phuny rat dare.... :huepfenlol2:

RedMoon

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE 3
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:51:42 AM by RedMoon »

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 09:29:03 AM »

That means the Harley-Davidson Livewire is good for just over 50 miles of mixed city and highway riding that is limited to 92 mph (we’re not really sure how Harley-Davidson came up with that figure). Expect to go 0-60 in around 4 seconds.

Oh boy so it's good for an hour of riding LMAO

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 09:40:46 AM »

Well I am sure with all the marketing research and investment in great technology the new H-D electric bike will be as successful as their newest 500 and 750 bikes have been.   ::)
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 09:43:20 AM »

Now DAT'S phuny rat dare.... :huepfenlol2:

;D

"SparkyGlide"?

"Sparkster"?

"Road-lectric"?

A "Harley-Batteryson"?

"Fat Battery"?

Not gonna touch the AC/DC deal.   :o

Hopefully they will be light weight, so the new owners don't have to push a heavy bike to the nearest outlet.....
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 09:49:18 AM »

Well I am sure with all the marketing research and investment in great technology the new H-D electric bike will be as successful as their newest 500 and 750 bikes have been.   ::)

I'm going by Harbor Freight and getting some Solar Panel seeds and plant me a solar panel tree at Eagles Nest in Maggie Valley.
I can see it now,
Stop in at Eagles Nest, eat an apple (we have 15 Apple trees), hook up and get a buzz.
"Eagles Nest the last Charging Station before the Blue Ridge Parkway."

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

gadgetz

• 1K CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Electric Orange & Vivid Black w/ Ghost Feather Graphics - Road Pig
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 09:57:44 AM »

I'm going by Harbor Freight and getting some Solar Panel seeds and plant me a solar panel tree at Eagles Nest in Maggie Valley.
I can see it now,
Stop in at Eagles Nest, eat an apple (we have 15 Apple trees), hook up and get a buzz.
"Eagles Nest the last Charging Station before the Blue Ridge Parkway."

SBB

Heh, too funny, you need any initial investors?

BTW I'll be at the Eagle Nest location mid July any apples ready for a taste test?   ;D
Charter Member Critter Gawking Society - Got Goat?

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2014, 10:00:11 AM »

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2014, 10:33:55 AM »

I'd love to have one, wonder what they would cost? I would think that someone could come up with a way to use the wheels rolling to help recharge the battery.

BigLew

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
Re: Project Live Wire - The New Harley
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 10:34:11 AM »

Should attract more of the younger generation riders
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

ultrarider123

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 10:47:58 AM »

Just considered something....now instead of leaking oil, they will leak battery acid.... ;D

Just don't know that the same enthusiasm will be there in 50 years for an antique electric HD as it currently is for, say, an old Shovel/Pan/Knuckle.  Something just doesn't sound right there.  Not saying it's not a novelty that may sell for a bit.  It does have a distinct sound (wonder if the MoCo has already put in a patent for that "whoosh" sound)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.