Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Kids on bikes ( Road King trip advise)  (Read 2614 times)

owenja

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Kids on bikes ( Road King trip advise)
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 11:04:47 AM »

Robert,

I had a similar experience last year with my 13 year old son.  He's generally not crazy about going on day rides around here (Nebraska), but when we started planning the trip to Billings last year he got excited and wanted to go.  The opportunity to see new scenery from the vantage of a bike seemed like a great idea to him (imagine that).  We were gone 10 days covered over 3,000 miles and was the best family vacation we have ever taken.  

Post trip, he still don't want to ride around here but we are already planning another bike vacation for this summer.

I say all of the advice you are receiving here is great, but sit down and talk to your son and have him help plan the trip.  If he still wants to go, take him.  It'll be the time of his (and yours) lives.

JIm

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 03:44:03 PM »

Hey guy's , i really have a hard time deciding on if i should take my 12 year old son on a trip of his life !!! we're going to Malaga in Spain from home which is Sosnowiec in Poland. The trip will take about 4,5 day's of goor road time 8 hours per day, 3250 km is the distance. Do you guy's ride with kids ? how old r they ? do u think i should talk him out of the idea ? pls guy's i need your help, he is really looking forward to this trip. The trip on the way back will be by car.What would you do ? he has never been on a longer trip then a fev hours..... ???? [smiley=confused5.gif]
Well...if you want to do it, I'd advise building your sons stamina.  You've got to get the body conditioned for it.  LITERALLY!  I'd take him out on some all day rides.  Get him used to it.  See if he likes it.  He has to realize that when your out, your OUT THERE! 

I've taken my daughters out for day trips.  They want to do the cross country vacation.  I am having a hard time with that one.  I'm always the one that runs into the nastiest of hail storms.  (Even had the sirens go off while I was in a gas station one time.)  It got so bad at one point in time, I had to just pull over to the side of the road and get hailed on.  It hurt a lot less than at any speed.  (sometimes those overpasses are a LONG ways off in the middle of IL or NE)
I don't think she would have faired well in some of those. 

Cheers,
J
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 06:36:09 PM »

Hey guy's , i really have a hard time deciding on if i should take my 12 year old son on a trip of his life !!! we're going to Malaga in Spain from home which is Sosnowiec in Poland. The trip will take about 4,5 day's of goor road time 8 hours per day, 3250 km is the distance. Do you guy's ride with kids ? how old r they ? do u think i should talk him out of the idea ? pls guy's i need your help, he is really looking forward to this trip. The trip on the way back will be by car.What would you do ? he has never been on a longer trip then a fev hours..... ???? [smiley=confused5.gif]

What did you end up doing?

jeffj
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.