Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: electrical help anyone?!  (Read 1344 times)

alejandro

• Junior CVO Member
  • Freedom isn't free, but God's love is!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
electrical help anyone?!
« on: October 08, 2007, 02:06:59 PM »

do any of you have any idea if i could bypass the hd dimmer switch supplied with the led light pods and hard wire the pods so i can use the accessory switch that is located behind the fork? the hd dimmer switch is supposed to be water proof but i am on my third one and i am really sick of replacing it. i would like to do this myself but i don't even know were the "end" of the accessory switch is at to see if i can just hook the lights up to it. i wonder if the current would be too much for the leds.

help! i am a dork!
 :nixweiss:
Freedom isn't free, but God's love is!

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: electrical help anyone?!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 03:39:02 PM »

do any of you have any idea if i could bypass the hd dimmer switch supplied with the led light pods and hard wire the pods so i can use the accessory switch that is located behind the fork? the hd dimmer switch is supposed to be water proof but i am on my third one and i am really sick of replacing it. i would like to do this myself but i don't even know were the "end" of the accessory switch is at to see if i can just hook the lights up to it. i wonder if the current would be too much for the leds.

help! i am a dork!
 :nixweiss:

If your talking about the LED accent lights from HD then No you cannot eliminate it. It also reduces the voltage to 5 volts. The acc switch controls an orange wire in a 4 pin connector that is typically in front of your battery. You could leave the dimmer unit on and locate it in front of the battery where it will be protected. Then just use the acc lead to power it.

alejandro

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 11:47:35 AM »

If your talking about the LED accent lights from HD then No you cannot eliminate it. It also reduces the voltage to 5 volts. The acc switch controls an orange wire in a 4 pin connector that is typically in front of your battery. You could leave the dimmer unit on and locate it in front of the battery where it will be protected. Then just use the acc lead to power it.

ok...i see...

i guess that's what i would like to do...just keep it on and use the acc switch to power it.

will i need to cut and splice into the orange wire or do you know if there is a accent light connector to 4 pin connector mating piece?

thanks a lot for your help. i appreciate it! ;D

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 11:57:27 AM »

You can pick up a female 4 pin connector to plug right into it then splice you power lead to the controller.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 07:25:17 PM »

ok...i see...

i guess that's what i would like to do...just keep it on and use the acc switch to power it.

will i need to cut and splice into the orange wire or do you know if there is a accent light connector to 4 pin connector mating piece?

thanks a lot for your help. i appreciate it! ;D

For an easy solution, you can buy the Switched Circuit Adapter Harness on page 498 of the P&A book for 14.95.  Then you can splice into one of the leads without touching your harness.  You also get the benefit of using the second connector for another accesory, seat, cigar lighter, etc.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524445409505&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474395672741&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395672741&bmUID=1192058644281&bmLocale=en_US

70264-94A
Any day on the bike is a good day.

alejandro

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 10:49:03 AM »

me likey...me likey...thanks fellas...

i don't know what i'd do without this website...

probably ride a metric  :-X

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.