Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 07 SERK Ride Reveiw FLHRSE3 vs FLHRI  (Read 1959 times)

Wizenheimer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
07 SERK Ride Reveiw FLHRSE3 vs FLHRI
« on: September 30, 2006, 10:09:36 PM »

Purchased my SERK today.  Rode it home.  Will take a real ride tomorrow.  Going to my hunting ground 400+ acres.  Can't haul the gear but can at least scout the area and pull the valve core on anyone trying to move in on me.  

My comments about the 07 FLHRSE3 are based on my experience with the 06 FLHRI I purchased.  This is not a direct comparison, it is my input with the FLHRI experience.  All previous bikes have been disposables, I mean metrics.  Will likely provide more tomorrow as I am sure there are peple out there waiting on one of these and itching for info.

First the clutch.  You will not 'ease' this bike anywhere.  The clutch is exactly as they state.  Off or on.  Very little release lets it fully engage.  Guess the extra travel is just for finger exercise.  Really takes some getting used to.

The windshield.  I can only say this is like many people I know...Not bad looking but a little on the dumb side.  I see why most posts I have seen the people have replaced this.  Regardless of the convex shape it is a wind funnel which blasts and buffets your head with the wind and rain.  Will follow the others lead and replace this.  The 06 had a great screen.  Previous metrics without screens produced a more enjoyable experience.

Performance - out of the box.  Wow, and I was impressed with the fuel injected 88cid.  A small twist of the grip translates to a large increase of power to the rear wheel.  Took it easy with it but still lost traction twice on the ride home due to the wet roads.

Air breather cover.  Beautiful to look at, a joy to behold but sure keeps you from snuggling up to your bike.  It could be set in about an inch.  

Paint...The graphics are beautiful.  Can't wait to see them in the sun.  The leafing however is not smooth with the paint.  I'm not a painter but would think it should be.

Security system.  Works great.  Much better than I expected.  This makes me hate the previous fob where you had to be so close to your bike and then press it, press it, and sometimes press it again.  It just disarms.  Really sweet.  Oh, and if you want to check out the siren please do so in an open space.  This caused me to vacate my garage faster than if it were on fire.  Wasn't just me, anything with ears came shooting out with me.  

Console, this is really nice.  However there is so much packed here, speedo, tach, 6 indicator lights, and the odometer that it will take awhile for me to get used to what is what.  The 06 had a big round odometer.  I knew how fast I was going.  This one is hard to read going down the road.  Not that it matters much though.  The indicators such as 6th gear were a bit hard for me to discern.  The rain didn't help things.  The red backlighting is really neat.  When I read something which told me it was red I figured I wouldn't care much for it.  I love it.  

Exhaust.  Sounds a lot better than the stock exaust on the FLHRI but it has a long way to go.  The sound did improve over the first 150 miles, hoping this continues.  Hate to void my warranty but I didn't pay 30k to be mistaken for a metric.

Starter, had to bring this up.  The increased engine size and compression definatley called for the high torque starter.  Due to the clutch I killed it while rolling.  Starter really works to turn this engine.  Started to get worried.  Figure this has something to do with the auto compression release not kicking in right away when rolling.  Don't know, will get used to the clutch then it won't be a problem.

Tomorrow is supposed to be really nice.  Will be riding, scouting, then riding.  Will try to post some pics tomorrow.  For those of you waiting on delivery.  I know what it is like to not know what your bike looks like.  If you have any special requests IE closeup of the console let me know and I will be happy to accommodate your request.  

grifman

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: 07 SERK Ride Reveiw FLHRSE3 vs FLHRI
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 08:13:56 AM »

Thanks a bunch for that initial review.  Very helpful.  I am waiting on my Red SERK, won't see it until November.  So for now, I must wait in envy for all you dudes lucky enough to find one early on.  Please continue with a more detailed review and pictures, please.  I also currently ride an 06 FLHRI.  Love the bike but once I got a peek at the 07 SERK it was all over.  Thanks again and Ride Safe.
Rick

e4seter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 11:13:00 AM »

1st,  congrads on the new ride.   These bikes are great.

2nd,  you state " The clutch is exactly as they state.  Off or on.  Very little release lets it fully engage.  Guess the extra travel is just for finger exercise.  Really takes some getting used to. "  

My clutch was exactly the same.  However after a week there was fluid leaking out of the hydrolic line on the right side of the connector where it went into the trans.  I finally lost enough fluid that the clutch would not disingage.  It was on or on, no off. Lots of fun.  Please ckeck your line for any signs of fluid leaking.  Just a FYI

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 12:26:38 PM »

Purchased my SERK today.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 12:29:00 PM by SPIDERMAN »

Wizenheimer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 05:53:25 AM »

I think I'd be very impressed with my 88" if in actuality it was a 110"

Wizenheimer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 06:35:51 AM »

For any of you who have been waiting on more input sorry about the delay.  I sit in front of a computer all day long.  Yes, I have been riding.

Let's continue with the review.  I have 800+ miles on the bike now.

Lean angle, yep their right.  It will drag if you take her too far.  Went screaming around a right hand corner.  I can assure you the first point of contact is the footpad.  Just slightly forward of the rear.  Mine is slightly thinner than stock.

Windshield - Initial opinion was correct.  Took it off with 100+ miles on the bike.  Haven't had it on since.  It won't go on.  Will be boxed and retired.  The ride is fantastic without it.  Will get a larger one eventually.

Air breather cover - this is only about 1/4 inch too big.  May look to shave this off the mount if I can sometime.  It does feel nice under your leg when you are using the cruising pegs on the highway bar.

RUST - Riders footpeg mounts have some rust starting.  WTF?

60 mph and over.  Sixth gear is not happy unless you are over 60mph.  A slight twist of the throttle rapidly flips the 6.  60 to 90 is really sweet, near instant.  Don't know why some people are pushing for more horses.  These will get me into enough trouble.  At 60 you are running 2100 rpm.  

Console - I mentioned the console is hard to read.  Part of that is due to my near vision decline.  I still have that opinion.  However, I now know the layout and don't have to study so much to try and understand what it is telling me.  I know where the needle should point at 80mph.  The sixth speed indicator light is difficult to see, I look at the tac but am getting a better feel for the bike so I do it less often.  

Comfort - the swept back bars and backrest make for an excellent ride.  Cornering while stretched out is very easy and enjoyable.  However you will not find this to be the case if your dealer delivers your bike with 41psi as mine did.  I lowered both to 35.  Goodbye to the airtime!  

Clutch - I have found there is a VERY small margin where you can get this bike to ease forward.  I still have the front brake engaged when I am turning it around in and area with limited space.  

Pictures - yeah, I took some but never downloaded them to my computer.  I'm not much of a picture type person.  It's still stock.  Will be taking delivery of the optional tour pak this evening.  My daughter is picking it up from the dealership where I initially had it ordered on her way home for spring break.

Dealer Experience - Sales was great.  Paid MSRP, they would not budge but did give me 3 T shirts.  I got one for the wife and 2 of my 3 kids.  I don't wear anything advertising any specific dealership.  The tags, plates etc come off any cage I buy also.  I called yesterday and told the dealer I really needed the 1000 mi service on Saturday and wanted to know if he could get it in.  He told me to tell him when I would have it there.  He would get it done when I wanted it done.  ??? Is this real?  I'm used to calling two weeks in advance then being put off for another two.  

1st gear noise - yes the bike has thumps, knocks, pings etc.  Is this not part of the Harley experience?  When I lay on the shifter and hear the tack hammer inside the engine it provides me with the assurance that the transmission still has some serious metal inside.  The only odd sound is the siren type sound you will hear if you pull out in first and need to coast such as up to a stop sign.  First time I thought it was an emergency vehicle off in the distance.  

Mileage - who cares?  Sure it is cheaper than running any of my 4wd's but if it were twice as much I'd still be running it.  

Cruise - still haven't used it.  Probably won't ever.  

Balance - lean back in your seat.  Relax your arms, waive at the kiddies.  the bike is very well balanced and the steering is solid.  You don't need to hang on to avoid the metric wobble.  

Hand numbness - I have seen some complaints about this.  Well, I experienced numbness for about 1/2 hour after bringing my bike home the 91 miles from the dealership.  I found my assumption to be correct that I was the cause not the bike.  After the woman sent me sailing through the air and rolling down the highway I figured the first ride might be a bit rough.  Found I was squeezing the grips like I was milking a cow.  No numbness after I got back into my comfort zone.  I am however very aware of the cars, they hurt.  I'm sure even the little ones will.  

Would I buy another???  YES, I wouldn't buy anything else.  

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 06:47:26 AM »

Wizen

Good review!
The clutch will work itself in.
My 07 was "ON" at release but with close to a thousand miles it is fine now.
As far as the power, remember a man can never have to much power.
Ride it and enjoy!

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 03:49:09 PM »

Wizenheimer,

Great reviews, You could not have said it any better. I am just to lazy to do the same.
I have to second most of your points. Except...I have not had any problem with touching on the lean. My clutch had the same issues, but have not had a problem since @ the 1500 mile point. And you are sooooooo right on the power, lots of it. I have also had a bit of rust on my passenger footpeg mounts, remedied with a touch of WD-40. I had numbness with my last RK, but the slight pullback with these bars has eliminated it all together.
 Thanks again for your thoughts. BTW, have you seen the threads about the paint graphics under the passenger portion of the saddle...?

SOKOOL

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 03:53:22 PM »

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 04:57:31 PM »

Wife bike also developed a leak at the cltuch hose. We were on the interstate and she could not shift. All the clucth fluid leaked out. Ran and bought tools and fluid to fix on the interstate. Also make sure to clean all fluid account DOT4 is very corrosive to paint. They are replacing clutch hose account brake fluid attacked hose and turned it milky white. Also had to repalce Right Rear shock account leakin excessive amount of oil.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 10:20:35 PM by hdbrad03 »
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 07:51:10 PM »

The first night I had my Blue SERK, the headlight was falling out of the nacelle and the high beam stopped working.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.