Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 13 FLHRSE5 Crushed Sapphire Paint  (Read 3108 times)

wizgee

• Vendor

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE - Silver Rush / Midnight Black - GONE
    • CVO2: 13 FLHRSE5 - Crushed Sapphire / Cold Fusion
13 FLHRSE5 Crushed Sapphire Paint
« on: December 04, 2013, 12:28:08 AM »

Very strange thing happened to me the other day. I designed some shift linkage (see picture) and had the final mock-up left unfinished. I wanted it to be really different from the others so I decided to sand it down and paint it. I went to Lowe's to pick up some spray paint, and there were cans of Rust-O-Leum Blue Metallic. It was around $6 for the can, and it looked "close enough" for my purposes. I was really surprised with the results.

wizgee

• Vendor

Re: 13 FLHRSE5 Crushed Sapphire Paint
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 12:31:13 AM »

Here's another picture to show the color match.

ordlord11

• Full CVO Member
  • IYAOYAS I.B.N.F.E Local 8251

• CVO1: 2013 SERK Burgundy Red
    • CVO2: 2009 SEUC Silver/Blue
    • CVO3: non CVO 2007 Road King Classic
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 09:29:17 PM »

Nice Job…. Bike looks great
Rinehart TD, SE AC, SERT Dyno Tune, clearview recurve shield

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 07:07:42 AM »

Very strange thing happened to me the other day. I designed some shift linkage (see picture) and had the final mock-up left unfinished. I wanted it to be really different from the others so I decided to sand it down and paint it. I went to Lowe's to pick up some spray paint, and there were cans of Rust-O-Leum Blue Metallic. It was around $6 for the can, and it looked "close enough" for my purposes. I was really surprised with the results.

Looks really close to me. I like making mine unlike any others. Hard to tell in the pic, do you think it matches close enough to do the horn cover? Or is that to big?
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

wizgee

• Vendor

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 10:53:13 AM »

When I held the linkage next to the tank, I couldn't see any difference in the hue or shading (in bright sunlight.) The paint might not have quite as much flake in it as the factory paint, but it isn't off by much. Here's a trick to see if you'll like the look. Take off your horn cover and wrap it in saran wrap, then spray it. If you don't like the match, just peel off the saran wrap, and your chrome will be fine. If you like the way it looks, then prep the surface carefully and spray away. I'd advise baking the paint (250 for about an hour,) and adding some clear coat. Personally, I never thought about doing the horn cover, but I see a lot of other parts on the bike that could use a little color alteration. The Rust-Oleum product number is #7251 Cobalt Blue Metallic.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 03:14:15 PM »

Owe you a big one Wizgee. Picked up a can and did the speaker grates...........PERFECT match, I can tell NO difference. Will try the horn cover when I dig up an old one, don't want to scuff up my cover and then not be happy. If I don't locate one, gonna use the plastic wrap idea. THANKS AGAIN, Brother.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 03:39:11 PM »

Owe you a big one Wizgee. Picked up a can and did the speaker grates...........PERFECT match, I can tell NO difference. Will try the horn cover when I dig up an old one, don't want to scuff up my cover and then not be happy. If I don't locate one, gonna use the plastic wrap idea. THANKS AGAIN, Brother.
:worthless:
T-MAN 117 kit

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 24 queries.