Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PPU 82883 ??????  (Read 9149 times)

americas

• CVO1: 2002 FLHRSEI
PPU 82883 ??????
« on: August 16, 2014, 05:49:45 PM »

:( need help , anyone know what that's mean PPU 82883 , d01-10 clear, CE after start comes on for few seconds and off

what  is wrong with my bike ?

thanks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: PPU 82883 ??????
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 06:39:45 PM »

PPUs are not an error code.  That's the speedometer signals Pulse Per Units used calibrating speed displayed on the speedo, cancelling turn signals and bit else.  The number will vary by speedometer part number.

I've only ever seen that display after error codes displayed.  The instrument's diagnostic sequence would first throw any codes then finish with the PPU number.  That PPU number itself isn't an error code it's just part of the instruments diagnostic output so far as I have ever known. 

I have also only seen reporting that included the PPU number when another error was going on.  A couple times after guys changed handlebars and fouled up the wiring while extending it.  Once on a bike with what turned out to be a bad speedo sensor and once on a bike with corrosion in places that was affecting the grounds enough it was reporting low voltage at the speedo sensor. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 06:40:52 PM »

Also, has any work been done to the bike prior to this beginning to happen?  Anything from a handlebar charge to an ECM map update or anywhere in between?

americas

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 02:06:16 AM »

when I bought SERK was everything fine and after run CE turn off, one time when I was on highway at over 90 mph CE turn on and I stop turn ignition off and after few minutes was fine but from that moment allways when I turn ignition on CE off and after start engine CE on for few seconds and off.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 02:11:22 AM »

when I bought SERK was everything fine and after run CE turn off, one time when I was on highway at over 90 mph CE turn on and I stop turn ignition off and after few minutes was fine but from that moment allways when I turn ignition on CE off and after start engine CE on for few seconds and off.

Find then solve what's causing the check engine light.   After that is sorted the speedo's PPU number will stop reporting.

americas

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 02:16:08 AM »

yeah, but what is causing the check engine light ?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 10:14:26 AM »

yeah, but what is causing the check engine light ?

That's simple.  The cause is.... oh, wait, I don't have the bike in front of me.  Never mind.

No one can know without doing more than we can here since there's no description of misbehavior that might suggest a code.  So you need to do some troubleshooting and diagnostics.  Start by pulling the codes and see what error code is actually throwing the CE light.  Go from there.  You're at a point now where it's time to ask less and troubleshoot actually with the bike more.  Report back what trouble codes are stored then the crowd here might be able to help a little. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 10:15:57 AM »

Since the check engine light isn't staying on, you most likely don't have a current fault.  Current faults keep the check engine light illuminated, and historical faults just light it up for a few seconds after you start the bike and then go out.

I'm not fully familiar with the 2002 setup and how you read and clear codes.  If there isn't a way for the owner to do it, then you have a choice of taking the bike to a dealer or independent mechanic that has the equipment to clear the historical code(s).  Eventually historical codes will clear themselves after a set number of engine on and off cycles.

Btw, you could try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see if that will clear the codes.  That used to work on most older bikes as well as cars because the system used volatile memory to store those codes.  That doesn't work with modern systems that store such data in nonvolatile memory.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 10:38:01 AM »

I'm not fully familiar with the 2002 setup and how you read and clear codes. 

I missed in the thread the gentleman saying it was a 2002.  It's my understanding that PPU codes shouldn't present in 03 and earlier bikes.  At least not unless an incorrect ECM flash has been done at some time.

This is long enough ago it stretches the memory a bit but it is my recollection that the only way to suffer PPU codes reporting on 03 and before is if both a code is being thrown and an incorrect ECM flash has been done at some time. 

In any case he still needs to know the codes.  On 03 and before it's more difficult than it is later on to gain the codes without some type of scanning/reading tool.  But you can.  Goes like this:

Get to the data connector under the right side cover.  Connect a jumper wire between pins one and two.  Turn the ignition switch on and wait for 10 seconds waiting for the light to turn on for four seconds then off for six seconds. After this the stored trouble codes will appear as sequential flashes.

The first group of flashes will be first code and it will repeat.  Two or three times but I forget which.  Then after a several second pause a second code will flash (if there is any second error code).

When it's done flashing codes pull the jumper wire and turn off the switch .

On some year and model bikes (and I could never sort out a pattern as to which ones) there was an easier method.  Didn't always work for me; but sometimes....  So it's worth trying it.  Try this before doing the method described above (though it should always work):

Turn the ignition on for four seconds.  Then turn if off for four seconds.   Then turn it back on again.  After a few seconds (if this method words) there will be a group of rapid flashes.  After that will be flashes that count out as the error codes.

americas

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 03:14:39 PM »

I tried any options and I can't delete this... I have to connect to comp and check what is going on..

other way my bike has Daytona Twin Tuner II and what I see and remember when I check first time - when engine was running on display I saw different green value digits but now display show me nothing - only when I push button MODE start show from 0100 up to... but in red colour.
anyone has that module ?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 04:09:55 PM »

I tried any options and I can't delete this... I have to connect to comp and check what is going on..

other way my bike has Daytona Twin Tuner II and what I see and remember when I check first time - when engine was running on display I saw different green value digits but now display show me nothing - only when I push button MODE start show from 0100 up to... but in red colour.
anyone has that module ?

Try taking the add-on module out of the loop and see if the problem goes away.

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.