Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Harley Recalls 174k Motorcycles for Potential Brake Failure  (Read 8596 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Harley Recalls 174k Motorcycles for Potential Brake Failure
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 01:16:29 PM »

Would check with the dealer to see if they can turn it in and reimburse you.  Would also check to make sure they used Platinum Label DOT 4 brake fluid that was referred to in the recall. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 01:22:02 PM »

Would check with the dealer to see if they can turn it in and reimburse you.  Would also check to make sure they used Platinum Label DOT 4 brake fluid that was referred to in the recall.

Yea, maybe I can get a gift certificate out of them :nixweiss:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 02:22:14 PM »

Yea, maybe I can get a gift certificate out of them :nixweiss:

Would be better than nothing. Usually is my luck - pay for something that is free a week later.  :wall:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 02:33:32 PM »

Harley's woes continue.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 03:51:58 PM »

This problem has been cussed and discussed since the 2008 Touring models started having failures.  Harley is still trying to place the blame on owners not changing fluid every 24 months, even though that wasn't and isn't the root cause of the problem and there were failures reported on more than a few 2008 models within the first 24 months of ownership.  The problem was caused by the materials they used (cost cutting even on safety items).  There are probably many hundreds of millions of older ABS equipped cars and trucks on the roads that have never had the brake fluid changed, and they don't seem to have this problem.  In fact, Harley was among the last of the motorcycle companies to start installing ABS, and they seem to be the only one with this major problem.  Does anyone really think all those Honda and BMW riders have been religiously changing brake fluid every 24 months over the past decade or two?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 06:03:42 PM »

This problem has been cussed and discussed since the 2008 Touring models started having failures.  Harley is still trying to place the blame on owners not changing fluid every 24 months, even though that wasn't and isn't the root cause of the problem and there were failures reported on more than a few 2008 models within the first 24 months of ownership.  The problem was caused by the materials they used (cost cutting even on safety items).  There are probably many hundreds of millions of older ABS equipped cars and trucks on the roads that have never had the brake fluid changed, and they don't seem to have this problem.  In fact, Harley was among the last of the motorcycle companies to start installing ABS, and they seem to be the only one with this major problem.  Does anyone really think all those Honda and BMW riders have been religiously changing brake fluid every 24 months over the past decade or two?

Jerry
Unfortunately Jerry,  I  do it every 2years on my Goldwing,  and have done it on all my cars and SUV's.
I wanted my dealer to change it on my HD,  and they looked at me like I was a Deer in the headlights!
You would not believe what brake fluid looks like,  and how much it deteriorates from heat, which can
Cause rust in 2 years, just saying.
The "TAZMUN"

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 06:15:16 PM »

My car's owner's manual says replace brake fluid every 10 years.  I would typically do it every 2 years on previous cars.  I've switched to 4 years.  It still looks like new at 4 years.

Might explain why the dealer told my buddy (who has a TC bike without ABS running DOT 5) he needs a brake fluid flush (bike is at the dealer for other work).  He looked up his service records and they just did it last year LOL.  I think you can easily go 5 years on DOT 5, although I haven't checked the owner's manual lately.  Who knows what they put in it last time.  Just amateur hour.

mark

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 11:06:47 AM »

HD tried to spin this the best they could, but stating “it’s really the owners fault for not changing fluid every 24 mos.” doesn’t really fly.  Do you really think a corporation would issue a $25-30 mil recall because owners aren’t following the service guidelines?  This, coming on the heels of abysmal quarterly profits and a plant closing is really damaging.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 01:02:43 PM »

HD tried to spin this the best they could, but stating “it’s really the owners fault for not changing fluid every 24 mos.” doesn’t really fly.  Do you really think a corporation would issue a $25-30 mil recall because owners aren’t following the service guidelines?  This, coming on the heels of abysmal quarterly profits and a plant closing is really damaging.

Besides that, how would they explain why the problem was so bad on the early versions but not on the bikes built in the past six years?  Remember, the 2008 models started having failures within two years, which Harley blew off as per corporate protocol.  Are we to actually believe that all people buying 2012 and later models are religiously changing brake fluid every two years or less, unlike those bad folks who blew it off on the 2008-2011 models?  This is a good example of another big problem Harley has with many current and previous owners, known as a lack of credibility.  I personally don't do business with people who repeatedly lie to me.  I'm guessing I'm not the only person who feels that way.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mark

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 09:35:32 PM »

Just spitballing here, but could it be degraded brake fluid isn't playing well with metals used in the ABS system, and that's causing the problem?  I just can't see HD issuing a voluntary recall, that will cost them untold millions, for a service item the customer is supped to do.  By comparison, if customers had engine failure due to not changing the oil, would HD cover that too?

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2018, 06:18:03 PM »

HD is getting off light with this recall. The H-D Platinum Label DOT 4 Brake Fluid free flush recall will not be the last we hear of this. Their litigators are most impressive.  :drink:

Ride On

TN

Wut the hell was that maneuver

bluegoose

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra - Riptide Blue
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 11:24:39 PM »

Although I have not received an official recall letter in the mail I verified my vin was part of the recall so I stopped by the local dealer today to schedule the flush.

The service tech told me they would not have any of the required brake fluid in until the end of March.

WTF no brake fluid for a month.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 12:07:51 AM »

'Wondering how much culpability Delphi has in this?? Brembo??  :confused5:

I would think they have to shoulder some responsibility ($$)??

Most all Delphi and Brembo stuff is pretty tight & trouble free...

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 02:15:48 AM by FlaHeatWave »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 12:14:54 AM »

All the people that have already replaced ABS pumps are still screwed for the large repair expense. Heluva deal to have a huge bill and get a quart of brake fluid in return.  And what about all those ABS pumps that now get new fluid but have whatever pitting or other internal issues that have slowly developed over time.  New fluid isn't going to magically repair existing finished surfaces.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 25 queries.