Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: KURYAKYN CVO LICENSE PLATE BRACKET REVIEW  (Read 8497 times)

bigmegina

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Streetglide
KURYAKYN CVO LICENSE PLATE BRACKET REVIEW
« on: December 22, 2011, 05:17:23 PM »

Kuryakyn finally got around to releasing their CVO plate bracket.the stock straight bracket did not go with the custom fat rounded fender.this bracket completes the back of the CVO.you need 2 brackets,1 #3146.this is the backing plate which only comes in chrome.then you need the holder which becomes a personal choice.the chrome holder matches the chrome backing plate part #3144.if you want a black holder part #3125.this is the choice part.to get the black plate holder you have to buy the complete bracket and disreguard the bracket and use just the black plate holder.i think there is not enough volume to make just a black plate holder.it will cost more for the black setup like mine.you could always buy the chrome 1 and paint it which will save you $40.the holder comes with a built in led plate light which is bright but a pita to wire in,but it is worth it.what do you think?if you are going to do this get the parts on ebay,alot cheaper and free shipping.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
Re: KURYAKYN CVO LICENSE PLATE BRACKET REVIEW
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 05:58:49 PM »

FWIW: There are a TON of posts on this subject over in the CVO Street Glide section. 

Most posters want the Kury without having to buy the new upper chrome tab backing plate.  That's why the old universal backing plate was the preferred choice.  You drill it to match the holes in the fender and bolt it up. Then either clip the end with the plug off of your stock tag light system and solder it to the new Kury harness OR re pin and put a new plug on the Kury wire and plug it in.

I think the universal bracket they offer may be a better choice for our CVO's.

The Yaffee is about the same effort (I did the Yaffee this time).  In either case, be sure to place lots of painters tape around the fender to protect the paint during installation. 

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 06:08:33 AM »

I have had the black Yaffee on order for mine since early Nov.  Yaffee said it was out of stock but would ship first week in Dec.  Well it still has not shipped.  I hope it ships soon or I may cancel and go a different route.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

bigmegina

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 12:52:57 AM »

FWIW: There are a TON of posts on this subject over in the CVO Street Glide section. 

Most posters want the Kury without having to buy the new upper chrome tab backing plate.  That's why the old universal backing plate was the preferred choice.  You drill it to match the holes in the fender and bolt it up. Then either clip the end with the plug off of your stock tag light system and solder it to the new Kury harness OR re pin and put a new plug on the Kury wire and plug it in.

I think the universal bracket they offer may be a better choice for our CVO's.

The Yaffee is about the same effort (I did the Yaffee this time).  In either case, be sure to place lots of painters tape around the fender to protect the paint during installation. 

i do not have a street glide custom so i would not know or care what goes on over there.all i am doing is reviewing for road glide CVOS.

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 04:19:43 AM »

i do not have a street glide custom so i would not know or care what goes on over there.all i am doing is reviewing for road glide CVOS.

Considering they use the same bags, rear fender and fascia why wouldn't you? There's some great pics of many different options 'over there'.
2010 FLTRX--Primo paint set
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold

Wanted--black Rumble collection saddlebag latches.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 06:24:09 AM »

Look at the FLTRSE 1/2/3 section, that is where the plate frame mods started for this style rear end as the 09 CVO road glide was the first to have it.

Considering they use the same bags, rear fender and fascia why wouldn't you? There's some great pics of many different options 'over there'.
Exactly, same goes for the 09 CVO Road Glide

I found out about the Yaffee plate frame in the CVO Street Glide section.

Just got the notice, mine shipped yesterday

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 02:50:35 PM »

Look at the FLTRSE 1/2/3 section, that is where the plate frame mods started for this style rear end as the 09 CVO road glide was the first to have it.

Exactly, same goes for the 09 CVO Road Glide

I found out about the Yaffee plate frame in the CVO Street Glide section.

Just got the notice, mine shipped yesterday

Be very, very careful when you attempt to install the Yaffee. 

1. Remove the stock stuff
2. Double painters tape everything around the area. There are very sharp pieces and screws on the bracket.
3. Go to the Hardware store and buy 2 nylon washers and 2 1" x 16mm x 10mm bolts. The kit bolts are too short to go through the connector. Backing plate, rear fender and the nylon washers.  BE PREPARED TO ENLARGE THE FENDER BOLT HOLES WITH A RAT TAIL FILE OR DRILL BIT IF NECESSARY.

You may need to trim the upper right side of yor tag to prevent chaffing of the LED wire by the tag. 

Be absolutely sure you have the correct phillips head bit to tighten the chrome plate to the backing assembly AND be keenly aware that it is very easy to over tighten and strip the screw holes.

It does look nice!!

Good luck!!

Jerry

SHRK2TH

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 Street Glide / Black traded
    • CVO2: 2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / White Starfire Black
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 09:36:08 PM »

Does the back mount come off the plate holder to lay flush on the fender on the black holder #3125?  Holes need to be drilled?

bigmegina

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 09:50:36 PM »

it is a 2 piece deal.no holes need to be drilled.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 05:45:36 AM »

Be very, very careful when you attempt to install the Yaffee. 

1. Remove the stock stuff
2. Double painters tape everything around the area. There are very sharp pieces and screws on the bracket.
3. Go to the Hardware store and buy 2 nylon washers and 2 1" x 16mm x 10mm bolts. The kit bolts are too short to go through the connector. Backing plate, rear fender and the nylon washers.  BE PREPARED TO ENLARGE THE FENDER BOLT HOLES WITH A RAT TAIL FILE OR DRILL BIT IF NECESSARY.

You may need to trim the upper right side of yor tag to prevent chaffing of the LED wire by the tag. 

Be absolutely sure you have the correct phillips head bit to tighten the chrome plate to the backing assembly AND be keenly aware that it is very easy to over tighten and strip the screw holes.

It does look nice!!

Good luck!!

Jerry

Thank you for the pointers and tips.  I ordered the black one because I figured it would really stand out on the White Gold Pearl paint.  Looks like a few extra steps.  However it can not be near as hard as modifying the generic Kuryakyn one I did back in 09 for the CVO road glide, that was a pain.

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.