Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Windshield for Road-Glide  (Read 24301 times)

DEDE

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 se r-g
Windshield for Road-Glide
« on: October 10, 2008, 09:41:07 AM »

I'm looking to buy a windshield I need a picture and your comment, it's very hard with a half helmet to drive long distance, I try a modular helmet it's very good but you can't ear the music.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Windshield for Road-Glide
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 09:45:13 AM »

bsquared62

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 08:38:19 PM »

I've got the 12" Klock Werks, which is mentioned over and over in those threads. It works pretty well (I estimated about 60% improvement), and still maintains the good looks. Others recommend the ClearView.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 09:26:27 PM »

I'm looking to buy a windshield I need a picture and your comment, it's very hard with a half helmet to drive long distance, I try a modular helmet it's very good but you can't ear the music.

Dede,

Bonjour, Go to the Vendor Support Section and look at Clearview Wind Shields. I had a 12" Flip on my 03 Road Glide worked great, have a Smoke Tint 9" Flip on my 04 SEEG and it works great also. The flip directs the wind over you helmet and yet you can still look over the windshield.

When I was in Montreal last Thursday dropped into Visions and visited with Francois, he told me the Silver 09 SERG sold, c'est la vie.

geezerglide

chewmaize

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 09:37:58 PM »

I'm running the 8" FBI Smoked windshield.  Looks good, gives a little more turbulence then I would like from 60mph up, but it's not bad.
2001 SERG
98" Revolution Performance Upgrade
37G, Gear Driven Cams
Power Commander

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 02:08:52 AM »

I had the 12" Klock Werks on order but read too many negative things about it ,flimsy, too much wind around ears, etc. Also it didn't come with a seal and the stock SERG seal won't work. I cancelled the order and now I'm going with the 12" Cee Bailey. It seems to have better reviews, will work with the stock SERG windshield seal, and looks pretty good. The price is $104 US plus $70 US for shipping to Alberta.

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 01:27:06 AM »

Anyone know if the MoCo offers anything that will look good and do a good job of cutting the wind? I do really like the dark grey 12" Cee Bailey but the dealer only orders from Drag Spec. The only way for me to get the Cee Bailey is to order it direct for the company and I'm not too keen on paying another $70 (over $100 Canadian) just for shipping.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 08:59:27 AM »

Anyone know if the MoCo offers anything that will look good and do a good job of cutting the wind? I do really like the dark grey 12" Cee Bailey but the dealer only orders from Drag Spec. The only way for me to get the Cee Bailey is to order it direct for the company and I'm not too keen on paying another $70 (over $100 Canadian) just for shipping.
[/quote

CAll Jenni...She gets Drag Stuff for  20% off.....Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 09:37:48 AM »

I have tried different MoCo shields, KW shields and Clearview.  In the looks department KW is hands down the best looking shield. 

I'm attaching a pic of my bike with the 8" KW mounted.  I've also tried the 14".  The KW works great in normal city driving.  You feel the wind, but it's more than livable.  The 14" is a bit better, but it is made form the same paper thin plastic as the 8".  The 14" relentlessly vibrates at highway speeds.  Short highway runs are fine with either the 8 or 14" KW.  However, if you are touring the KW shields are worthless!  The wind alternates left and right endlessly beating your ears.  You have to wear a helmet or hearing protection if you want to run long distances with the KW shields. 

Clearview is the best I've found from a form/function/quality perspective.  The recurve on the CV works great.  It deflects the wind over your head as well as far enough to the left/right to keep it from hitting your ears.  The CV plastic is also very thick, which is much safer if a rock or something is kicked up while riding.  Another thing I like about CV is they provide everything you need to install it on the bike.  It comes with the rubber trim, mounting hardware, etc.  KW doesn't ship with anything and they don't sell the stuff either. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 09:39:34 AM by Jim Kerr »

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 09:51:19 AM »

You've probably said it a dozen times here Jim but w/ CV did you get and how tall are you? I've decided that CV is the way to go and now just need to get the right height. Thanks.

Jim

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 10:12:56 AM »

You've probably said it a dozen times here Jim but w/ CV did you get and how tall are you? I've decided that CV is the way to go and now just need to get the right height. Thanks.

Jim

I'm 3' 4" tall with a limp... :)  Kidding.  I'm average height. 

I went with the large CV shield for winter.  I bought one that I look through so I get max wind protection.  The large window will greatly extend my Chicago riding season.  It isn't as sexy, but it works great!  In the summer, however, I'm going to run a CV -1.  I look over the -1 and get some wind that will keep me cool.  The -1 also works much better than the KW and factory shields. 

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 01:59:50 PM »

bribe36,

As Jim Kerr has suggested I would get a hold of John at Clearview and/or go on his website and size up a Clearview for your height etc. I had the 12" Smoked Recurve on the 03 Road Glide and it was as Jim says real good windshield. Also, you do not have to buy it from DS, he will ship direct from Colorado to you and pricing is very reasonable.

Also, have the 9" Smoked Recurve on my 04 SEEG and it was worked great.

geezerglide

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 02:41:42 PM »

I have tried different MoCo shields, KW shields and Clearview.  In the looks department KW is hands down the best looking shield. 

I'm attaching a pic of my bike with the 8" KW mounted.  I've also tried the 14".  The KW works great in normal city driving.  You feel the wind, but it's more than livable.  The 14" is a bit better, but it is made form the same paper thin plastic as the 8".  The 14" relentlessly vibrates at highway speeds.  Short highway runs are fine with either the 8 or 14" KW.  However, if you are touring the KW shields are worthless!  The wind alternates left and right endlessly beating your ears.  You have to wear a helmet or hearing protection if you want to run long distances with the KW shields. 

Clearview is the best I've found from a form/function/quality perspective.  The recurve on the CV works great.  It deflects the wind over your head as well as far enough to the left/right to keep it from hitting your ears.  The CV plastic is also very thick, which is much safer if a rock or something is kicked up while riding.  Another thing I like about CV is they provide everything you need to install it on the bike.  It comes with the rubber trim, mounting hardware, etc.  KW doesn't ship with anything and they don't sell the stuff either. 

Jim
       Thanks a ton for this post. I like the shape of the 8" KW so much, I was going to sell my 14" Clearview and buy a 14" KW. After reading your post, I'll sit pat with the 8" KW for local riding and the 14" Clearview for long distance.
       By the way, since joining the site, you've been a one man tech manual. I am in awe of the depth of information you've posted in such a short time. What's your background ?  Are you a former H-D Tech, engineer, what ? I think others would enjoy hearing a bit about you as you are an incredibly valuable asset to this website 

B B

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 07:20:52 PM »

Jim
       Thanks a ton for this post. I like the shape of the 8" KW so much, I was going to sell my 14" Clearview and buy a 14" KW. After reading your post, I'll sit pat with the 8" KW for local riding and the 14" Clearview for long distance.

I love the shape of the 8" KW as well.  It really is an excellent looking design.  I just hate it on the highway !!  I believe I have hearing damage from the few times I rode with it.  The SERG is a road bike.  We want it to look cool, but it also has to get us cross country safely.  I would be stone deaf if I rode any distance with KW shields.  They also don't provide any rain/bug protection.  In fact, I'll tell you an embarrassing story of a bee that that hit me in my face almost knocking me off of the bike and then fell into my lap.  Guss where it stung me... Yup, if it were a sneak bite my friends would have let me die.  Instead they just laughed until they peed their pants.  No more KW for me!!

By the way, since joining the site, you've been a one man tech manual. I am in awe of the depth of information you've posted in such a short time. What's your background ?  Are you a former H-D Tech, engineer, what ? I think others would enjoy hearing a bit about you as you are an incredibly valuable asset to this website 

I have been riding motorcycles since I was 5 years old.  I love to go fast and if it has an engine I'm on it running  balls to the walls.  My formal education is in computer engineering, electronic engineering, aeronautical engineering and other boring stuff.  In addition to being a pilot, I have been a licensed aircraft mechanic (A&P) for about 20 years.  Airplanes and motorcycles are very similar, but aircraft are federally regulated.  Every I has to be dotted when you do anything to an airplane.  The strict aviation regulations and my engineering background has trained me to dig into how things work fairly quickly.  Especially when it is things I love.  And I love Harley Davidson Motorcycles and hanging with the wonderful people that ride them. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 07:22:24 PM by Jim Kerr »

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 08:40:03 PM »

DEDE

luv your bike. :2vrolijk_21:

enjoy

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.