Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 09FLTRSE3 Improper headlight adjustment FROM THE FACTORY!!!  (Read 6792 times)

2009FLTRSE3

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
09FLTRSE3 Improper headlight adjustment FROM THE FACTORY!!!
« on: February 13, 2009, 01:48:43 AM »

I just took by 09 FLTRSE for a night ride and noticed the headlights are pointing down. I took it to the Dealer today and they said if the lights are adjusted correctly the Bezel will not fit correctly. I am waiting for some special HD rep to come to that dealer to look at the bike.
Has anyone heard of this problem or these special reps??

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
Re: 09FLTRSE3 Improper headlight adjustment FROM THE FACTORY!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 05:25:45 AM »

I just took by 09 FLTRSE for a night ride and noticed the headlights are pointing down. I took it to the Dealer today and they said if the lights are adjusted correctly the Bezel will not fit correctly. I am waiting for some special HD rep to come to that dealer to look at the bike.

Installing HIDs would fix that in a heartbeat!

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

hogasm

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:34:10 AM »

So why didn't the dealer find this on his Dealer Prep, that you paid handsomely for :nixweiss:

2009FLTRSE3

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 12:53:24 PM »

Very good point i will be having that conversation with the Dealer who preped it!

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 12:59:17 PM »

Wow, that's quite a statement. Headlights won't fit if adjusted properly. Got another dealer close by?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 01:11:19 PM »

I just took by 09 FLTRSE for a night ride and noticed the headlights are pointing down. I took it to the Dealer today and they said if the lights are adjusted correctly the Bezel will not fit correctly.

Oh my!  That's about the worst case of b__l  s__t I've heard in a while!!    :soapbox:  Adjust the lights by turning the two 4.5 mm hex nuts inside the fairing.  These nuts are in front of the forks and face the rider through the inner fairing.  Turn both equally clockwise to raise the light pattern.  The stops are plastic so do not force.  If that does not help, you may need to remove the outer fairing.  If the outer fairing is not properly "hooked" onto the two mounts on either side of the radio, the headlights will point down.  It's a typical problem with the Road Glides.  The dealer just did not want to spend the time to check.  Maybe if you suggest they do....   :nixweiss:

Just in case:  Taking the fairing off is not the easiest procedure.  If you've not done it before, check the manual...  Cover the front fender to avoid scratching it.  Whether you of the dealer does, think about what else you might want to do while it's off.  (Hidden antenna, xenon lights, amp., speakers, etc.)  Good luck!

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 01:25:43 PM »

(Hidden antenna, xenon lights, amp., speakers, etc.)  Good luck!

GK

Garage door opener

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 02:54:13 PM »

Oh my!  That's about the worst case of b__l  s__t I've heard in a while!!    :soapbox:  Adjust the lights by turning the two 4.5 mm hex nuts inside the fairing.  These nuts are in front of the forks and face the rider through the inner fairing.  Turn both equally clockwise to raise the light pattern.  The stops are plastic so do not force.  If that does not help, you may need to remove the outer fairing.  If the outer fairing is not properly "hooked" onto the two mounts on either side of the radio, the headlights will point down.  It's a typical problem with the Road Glides.  The dealer just did not want to spend the time to check.  Maybe if you suggest they do....   :nixweiss:

Just in case:  Taking the fairing off is not the easiest procedure.  If you've not done it before, check the manual...  Cover the front fender to avoid scratching it.  Whether you of the dealer does, think about what else you might want to do while it's off.  (Hidden antenna, xenon lights, amp., speakers, etc.)  Good luck!

GK

That would be my guess.  Of course, that bezel comment from the dealer is a winner also.  It never ceases to amaze me what kind of crap these clowns try to feed us.  Damn shame that dealers and service departments aren't required to have at least a smidgen of mechanical knowledge or aptitude, much less the intimate knowledge of their products we would expect.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 04:45:16 PM »

Garage door opener

Good idea but NO!!  Sorry to disagree Screamin but for the SERG, you can Velcro to the underside of one glove box cover a battery powered opener.  Cost: under $30.  Works perfectly. The HD kit: 91558-01A fits in the fairing but is $129!!!    Why ??? 

Even if you don't have the SERG, surely you could Velcro somewhere or just have it on you key chain. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 04:54:14 PM »

Yeah, but you don't have to ever replace the battery in the moco one!  And if that $80 is bothering you, just send that RG this way, I'll make sure it gets taken care of REAL GOOD!!!!
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

2009FLTRSE3

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 05:01:21 PM »

One thing is for sure I will not be removing the faring, this is a job for the warranty I paid through the nose for.  Besides how does an elite department of HD have an issue like this, it’s disappointing. As far as the garage door opener, I keep it in my side pocket of my jacket 007 style.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 05:05:31 PM »

If they're too stupid to properly align the headlight and give you a statement like they've given you, I wouldn't care if I'd paid them $5k for the warranty, it wouldn't be going back to them.  I'm in that situation right now.  I have 2 different local dealers, but I ride alomst 100 miles to get to one that will properly fix the bike when it needs it.  I'll do all the little stuff myself, thank you very much.  I would run as fast as my fat a$$ would take me away from that STEALER!
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

2009FLTRSE3

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 05:15:23 PM »

agree 100% I purchased the bike in Casper Wy, but have taken it to the Dealer in SoCal who are the ones who gave me the statement. They are waiting on a Factory rep to look at the bike. When he can come in they want the bike again.

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 06:24:42 PM »

Yeah, but you don't have to ever replace the battery in the moco one!  And if that $80 is bothering you, just send that RG this way, I'll make sure it gets taken care of REAL GOOD!!!!

Mr. articdude,

With all due respect,   :sauer007: you sound just like the HD guys!!  :zroflmao: :zroflmao:    :zroflmao: :zroflmao:  How hard it is to replace a battery every five years or so?   :confused5:   :confused5:  The $90+ is still in my hands :bigok: not HD's so, no, it does not bother me.   :huepfenlol2:   :huepfenlol2:  If I can make it work for 20% of their cost...  I'm happy!   :vrolijk_4:

If you're offering to detail my SERG, I accept.   :huepfenjump3:  Come on down here (or invite me to wherever the heck "right here" is).  We'll go for a ride, have a drink  :drink:   :2vrolijk_09:   :smilie_eimer:  and detail them together.  Hey what ever works!!   :sauer021:   :sauer021:  Let's ride!

GK

Sawyer Brown

2009FLTRSE3

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 09:30:58 PM »

I might sound just like the HD guys because I was regurgitating what they told me. I know without a doubt I could identify and rectify the situation. But the way I see it is for the price I paid I shouldn’t have to get dirty or lose any riding time. As a matter of fact I will be pushing for credit of my Dealer setup fee.
Beer sounds good I think I will go have one!!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 21 queries.