Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soft Bags (RK) do not fit 09 SERG  (Read 789 times)

bobroadglide

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 Silver SERG
    • CVO2: 05 Cherry SEEG
Soft Bags (RK) do not fit 09 SERG
« on: June 26, 2009, 07:28:02 PM »

I saved my soft bags & leather tour pack from my 03 road glide, they were actually Road King bags, because I really liked them, hate the hard bag lids more than anything.  But after my 1000 mile checkup today, where they actually got the tour pack rack to mount on the attach points, I tried to mount my soft bags.  But they don't fit.  The rear attach point for the bag is not adjustable.  The bag can be positioned to mate the pin, but the rear of the bag is not resting on the bar.  I really like the look of the hard bags but hate the lids.  You can't one had open or close the lids on the hard bags.  And I really wanted to save the $$ on the tour pack.  I like the leather tour pack and I had one so I had hoped to use it on the new bike, and well, I think I will.  I have seen pics of other SERGs with the leather tour pack and hard bags on this site.  I also didn't want to buy another passenger back rest, the stock one is too low for my (BSR?) wife-type.  She likes lounging on the bike which she can do with the leather tour pack.  Guess I'll look for a used hard tour pack that I can somewhat match to the paint scheme, but I won't look real hard.  Anyone mount leather saddle-bags on a 09 SERG?

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Soft Bags (RK) do not fit 09 SERG
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 07:31:26 PM »

I looked at doing that for a friend, NOT anything I would do myself, but it wouldn't be hard, just a little fab work for a rear adjustable mount. Go by a race car fab shop in your area, tell them what you want. Should be pretty easy to do.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 02:27:09 AM »

you hate the lids ?
( remove them and leave the bags open )
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 02:13:13 PM »

I saved my soft bags & leather tour pack from my 03 road glide, they were actually Road King bags, because I really liked them, hate the hard bag lids more than anything.  But after my 1000 mile checkup today, where they actually got the tour pack rack to mount on the attach points, I tried to mount my soft bags.  But they don't fit.  The rear attach point for the bag is not adjustable.  The bag can be positioned to mate the pin, but the rear of the bag is not resting on the bar.  I really like the look of the hard bags but hate the lids.  You can't one had open or close the lids on the hard bags.  And I really wanted to save the $$ on the tour pack.  I like the leather tour pack and I had one so I had hoped to use it on the new bike, and well, I think I will.  I have seen pics of other SERGs with the leather tour pack and hard bags on this site.  I also didn't want to buy another passenger back rest, the stock one is too low for my (BSR?) wife-type.  She likes lounging on the bike which she can do with the leather tour pack.  Guess I'll look for a used hard tour pack that I can somewhat match to the paint scheme, but I won't look real hard.  Anyone mount leather saddle-bags on a 09 SERG?

Rick C has a silver SERG.  He runs the Hard bags with the leather tour pack.  It looks good in person, that is for sure.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

bobroadglide

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 Silver SERG
    • CVO2: 05 Cherry SEEG
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 05:00:22 PM »

Today I mounted the soft bags.  Forward pins can be installed but rear mounting must be modified.  There are some small slots in the rear mounting plates, 2 in #8 screw, some nylon sleeves, rubber grommets and locknuts needed.  Had to drill new holes in bag walls, installed grommets, run screw from inside wheel area thru the sleeves, thru the grommets, installed lock nuts and tighten.  Bags don't sit flush with trim pieces but they work and look reasonable from side.  Now for the bag locks.

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 21 queries.