Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Sena SM10 Bluetooth Transmitter for Harley  (Read 13934 times)

awalker14

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE Black/Crimson
    • CVO2: 19 BMW R1250 GSA
Sena SM10 Bluetooth Transmitter for Harley
« on: August 01, 2012, 11:54:52 AM »

Anybody tried this yet?  Looks like it can plug into the Ultra's audio system and transmit all functions out as a bluetooth signal to a bluetooth headset?  Not bad at $149 + cable.  Only downside appears to be it sits outside on the bike with a cable plugged into the Ultra's console.  I use a Sena SMH10 headset on my other bike for bluetooth connections to the Zumo, phone and MP3 player and it works great.  I've been looking for something like this to use on my 06 FLHTCUSE to allow using the same helmet and headset.  I'm interested in hearing if anyone has tried it.  Thanks.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/sm10.php?tab_menu=overview
06 Black/Candy Crimson FLHTCUSE; V&H TD's Ovals SE AC PCIII; SE Hyd Tens & Camplate Redshift 575's; Detach TP w/ Corbin Gunfighter; Zumo w/ 8gb SDHC (a lot of tunes)Clearview 8" Recurve; Minibeast II 128db Airhorn

awalker14

• Junior CVO Member

Re: Sena SM10 Bluetooth Transmitter for Harley
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 10:35:16 AM »

Just floating this around again to see if anybody's had experience with it yet?  I learned it is a bluetooth transmitter only and that it only receives signals from what's physically plugged into it, so it's not a bluetooth receiver also.  The only limiting feature I see from using it with the Harley HK audio system would be it could not pickup your microphone for use as a CB mike.  You could use your bluetooth headset mike to communicate with another bluetooth headset via intercom, but not through this transmitter.  Same with using your bluetooth headset for making phone calls, by pairing it to your phone either directly or through your GPS.

Still pondering it....
06 Black/Candy Crimson FLHTCUSE; V&H TD's Ovals SE AC PCIII; SE Hyd Tens & Camplate Redshift 575's; Detach TP w/ Corbin Gunfighter; Zumo w/ 8gb SDHC (a lot of tunes)Clearview 8" Recurve; Minibeast II 128db Airhorn

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 11:17:51 AM »

Just floating this around again to see if anybody's had experience with it yet?  I learned it is a bluetooth transmitter only and that it only receives signals from what's physically plugged into it, so it's not a bluetooth receiver also.  The only limiting feature I see from using it with the Harley HK audio system would be it could not pickup your microphone for use as a CB mike.  You could use your bluetooth headset mike to communicate with another bluetooth headset via intercom, but not through this transmitter.  Same with using your bluetooth headset for making phone calls, by pairing it to your phone either directly or through your GPS.

Still pondering it....
I stumbled onto it as well and thought the same as you.  It looks like an interesting wirelss option if you don't use the CB much.  Personally, I use the CB a bit, and I don't like to rely on batteries or recharging my headset.  It's not uncommon for me to put in several 10-12 days of riding in a row.  That makes the wires pretty convienient.
Big Lew
IBA #595

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 07:54:41 PM »

awalker what did you decide on?

How did it workout for you?

I am looking at new adding new handlebars and I am looking into new GPS and its time for a new helmet.

I am thinking weather to keep the cable and headset for the Harley system, or go with Bell Mag9 helmet with Sena bluetooth.
This would give me the phone which I don't use much and the GPS into the bluetooth headset in Bell helmet.
I would like to wire the GPS for power, so I don't always have to charge it.

just bouncing ideas
Feel free to add any .02
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

awalker14

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 11:47:47 PM »

Glad to see somebody else interested and appreciate your post.  I have chosen to hold off at this point as my objective was to get a bluetooth wireless connection using one helmet with the Sena SMH10 headset to utilize the full capability of the Harley HK audio system as well as using the same helmet and Sena SMH10 heaset on my BMW GS1200GSA with a Zumo 550 and phone pairing combination.  There is a separate Sena SM10 wireless adapter available which can plug into the Harley console and receive the output but can't transmit a microphone used for CB.  I've added Jim Bissonett's BOM adapter to the Harley which works great for phone conversations with the hard wired setup using a Zumo 550 and a wired headset to the Ultra console, as well as all other Harley functions, including the Harley CB.  I've given up trying to use one helmet/headset for both bikes and decided as of now to use a wired set up for the Harley with all functions including phone through the Zumo with a J&M headset plugged into the Ultra console, and use a second helmet setup with the Sena SMH10 bluetooth headset for connecting wirelessly to a Zumo 550 paired with my phone on the BMW.   

Having said all that, there is a wireless transmitter/receiver now available at  http://www.spoiledbiker.com/product3326.html which purports to do it all, being both a transmitter and reciever.  The reviews seem a little mixed as to the results using the CB, but it appears to be the unit we're looking for to handle both bluetooth receiving of the Harley HK audio system functions, as well as a bluetooth transmitter of microphone functions through the same Harley HK audio sysem for CB, intercom, phone, etc.  At $249, I'm looking for someone else to try it first as I have my two helmet setup with two bikes presently working OK.  The Spoiled Biker AKE unit can be plugged into either the console, or the tourpack connection and can be supplemented by an extended console cord to keep it out of site which is appealing on the CVO.  Looks good, but I'm on the fence for now until I hear trusted results from other CVO folks.  I've tried several different products/combinations in the past and am tired of spending money for research and development when Harley ought to be the one coming out with a workable bluetooth unit.  They had a module a few years ago that integrated with the HK audio system but abandoned it leaving us without any factory option. 

If you try the Spoiled Biker AKE unit, please post the results.  It seems to be a viable option if it actually does what is says.  Thanks for posting up and let us know what you learn. 

Ride safe and often.

AW

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:18:33 AM »

Still Studying options!
Looks like decent lightweight 3/4 helmet.
I like the thought of this, but noted it also needs to be charged.
Seems like no perfect solution.....until I buy something..*L

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-mag-9-sena-helmet-solids

I think it can be had for less but they do a nice review.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 03:13:22 PM »

First I've seen this and for me it looks like exactly what I have been searching for. A BT adapter to have my Sony head unit output to my Nolan helmet.
The Sony has a BT output but not the profile needed for headsets, "HSP"
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 04:40:40 PM »

If you get it I want to hear what you think of the sound and the helmet.
I am working on my handlebars and GPS for now.

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 03:21:35 PM »

Bump!
Anyone buy anything along this line yet?

lynyrd1959

• CVO1: '13 Anniversary CVO Screamin'Eagle Ultra Classic
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 09:40:29 PM »

Well everybody, I'm going to buy the Spoiled Biker "Harley Bluetooth Adapter: Harley-HC2" for $249.00, and the "SPH10 Stereo Bluetooth Helmet-less Headset & Intercom" for $211.65 tonight.  I will report back as soon as I get it, and again when I have it installed and tested.

For reference, I am riding a 2013 UltraClassic CVO Screamin' Eagle Anniversary Edition that I bought in November of 2012.  Up to now, I have used the helmet speakers with microphone on my Harley half-helmet that Harley included (my wife won't even try her's) and it was dreadfully cumbersome with the wires and weight of the rig.  I have the stock Zumo 660 mounted on the dash and my iPod Nano playing my tunes through the Harmon Kardon stereo unit.  My intention is to upgrade to the 665, as the traffic, weather, and portable XM satellite radio (which my wife is in love with in her Ford) will be welcome additions during our long trips.  I have never had audio entertainment of any kind in my 40 year of street riding, so this has been quite a positive experience on the long road trips. (History: 1968 Yamaha Enduro: 1972 Yamaha 650 Electric; 1984 SofTail still in the garage; 2003 100th Anniversary Road King Classic until I got blindsided by a little old lady on the freeway).

Anyway, what I hope to end up with is playing my recorded tunes, XM Satellite radio, trip routing (with weather and traffic rerouting factored in), and the ability to pair and use my iPhone 5 for needed telephone communications all through the Zumo.  Then I additionally hope to be able to use the CB through the Harmon Kardon stereo system. Did I miss anything?

Does anyone see why this should have problems if everything works as advertised?  If so, please let me know so I can modify my thought process while the products are in-route.

If it all works, does anyone know of someone wanting to buy the Zumo 660 with everything except the motorcycle mount? It will probably be on Craigslist in June, so some advise on its worth would be greatly appreciated.

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 09:43:32 AM »

Wow.  Lynyrd, sounds like you have a excellent plan well thought out.
As for the tunes while you ride.  You will love it!  Nothing like riding thru this beautiful country of ours and your fav songs playing.  I used to put in earbuds on road trips now I have upgraded my Harley's system with Hogtunes with XM and Weather.  I must say though the tunes I love the most are the ones that I have put together.  I burn mp3s to a disk and play those thru the H&K radio system.
Now you tell me that you are selling a Zumo 660..*S  I just bought one...thats the way it goes.  I used it for the first time this weekend and it blew me away when it showed me a pic of the overpass and exit comming up a real picture!!  Then it went back to its map.
I would like to ask you to take pictures of your equipment and describe what each componet does.
I am going to buy a new helmet this year and I am thinking of Bell's Mag-9 SEMA.  with this I will get the Zumo in my headset but not the Harley functions.  Will your setup give both?
Looking forward to your review.
Thanks

lynyrd1959

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 12:22:29 PM »

Wow.  Lynyrd, sounds like you have a excellent plan well thought out.
As for the tunes while you ride.  You will love it!  Nothing like riding thru this beautiful country of ours and your fav songs playing.  I used to put in earbuds on road trips now I have upgraded my Harley's system with Hogtunes with XM and Weather.  I must say though the tunes I love the most are the ones that I have put together.  I burn mp3s to a disk and play those thru the H&K radio system.
Now you tell me that you are selling a Zumo 660..*S  I just bought one...thats the way it goes.  I used it for the first time this weekend and it blew me away when it showed me a pic of the overpass and exit comming up a real picture!!  Then it went back to its map.
I would like to ask you to take pictures of your equipment and describe what each componet does.
I am going to buy a new helmet this year and I am thinking of Bell's Mag-9 SEMA.  with this I will get the Zumo in my headset but not the Harley functions.  Will your setup give both?
Looking forward to your review.
Thanks

Hey RedEagle,
Thanks for the reply.  According to the research I have done, the Spoiled Biker "Harley Bluetooth Adapter: Harley-HC2" is the only setup that will give me bluetooth access to both the Zumo and the Harley functions.  Additionally, it is supposed to allow the microphone to work on bluetooth and I am hoping that this will work for both the iPhone and the CB.  I will update as I get the pieces in for trial. I ordered the "SPH10 Stereo Bluetooth Helmet-less Headset & Intercom" through Amazon.com with Amazon Prime, so it should be in tomorrow.  I'll work up the before and after pictures then & post hopefully by Wednesday night.  I'll then follow up with the upgraded Zumo and bluetooth adapter for the Harley functions.

codten

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 01:47:21 PM »

CAN NOT WAIT.  Thank you

lynyrd1959

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 07:30:37 PM »

I'm going to do this in phases as the equipment arrives.
Phase 1; Received the Sena SPH10 from Amazon in less than 2 days with the Amazon Prime free 2 day shipping.
I charged it last night for use today.  It uses one of those small trapezoid shaped plugs like that used on some phones and accessories.  The plugs all seem to fit snug with rubber plugs that seem like they will resist rain nicely.  I won't know that for sure for a while as it never rains here in SoCal. 
Of note, I have a very large head (most 2X helmets fit), so I don't know how this exact model will work for others. Relative to my big head and 6'5" frame, I have fairly small ears that sit close to my head.  It fits on my ears comfortably.  I will comment on that further as I wear them for a whole week of riding. 
So far, it has paired with everything I have tried it on, including my iPhone 5.  Now it automatically pairs with my iPhone as soon as I turn the headphones on.  The music sounds great and it makes and receives calls through Siri without flaw. I have read that some users have difficulty with Siri due to wind noise.  I have not had this problem yet at speeds under 60 mph.  I will report on normal cruising speed (80-90 mph) sound quality after I hit the freeway tomorrow. Another note; this thing will pair with whatever it has previously paired with that is in range as soon as you turn her on, so know that if you are trying to pair her with your phone, she may already be paired with your computer, or whatever she finds first. She's a bit promiscuous, but you get to tell her who she pairs with.  I turned her on and she started my iTunes and had me ready for whatever I wanted to play before I could even turn on the bluetooth on my iPhone! Bottom line; the bluetooth seems robust and very competent.
Here's a few pictures of what came in the box.

lynyrd1959

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 07:38:39 PM »

Phase 2 will come after I get the Zumo 665 from the dealership on Monday. That will be fun!
Phase 3 will come after the Spoiled Biker unit arrives.  I don't have a delivery date yet.

Here's a link to the Operator's Manual for the Sena SPH10, in case anybody wanted to check it out;

http://www.senabluetooth.com/downloads/manual/UsersGuide_Sena_SPH10-v3.3.pdf
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 07:44:35 PM by lynyrd1959 »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 25 queries.