Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: I'm bikeless!  (Read 4376 times)

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
I'm bikeless!
« on: June 14, 2015, 01:31:48 PM »

I've been thinking about selling my bike for several months.  Yesterday someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

First time without a bike in a loooong time.  Got my first bike (Cushman Eagle) at 14 in 1963.  First Harley (Sprint) in 1965.  I've had a bike since 1963 except for about a 12 year period while my children were young.

Will I buy another bike?  Not sure.  Due to health reasons I have been considering giving up riding,  Then again, I've owned every Harley bike model except a Road Glide.  Maybe I need one more bike!

:nixweiss:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
Re: I'm bikeless!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 02:00:33 PM »

As many of us age I'm certain this has been considered often... I've thought about giving up riding - my balance isn't what it used to be and the new touring bikes are uncomfortably heavy, it's a significant expense overall with the purchase, insurance, excise tax, mods (mostly by my choice), etc., and I'm not getting any younger. However, thinking about it and acting on it are separate issues. I think if I sold my CUSE8 for an offer I couldn't refuse I'd be shopping for a CVO Road Glide...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 02:02:35 PM »

I think I know exactly where you're coming from, since I've been thinking about getting rid of mine for the last two years.  Health issues curtailed my riding for awhile, and what I found is that I didn't miss it as much as I thought I would.  I actually rode much more back when I was working long hours in a high stress job.  Now that I'm retired and my health is stable, I find I don't have the stress and therefore don't need to ride to relieve anything.  Still haven't made up my mind what I'm going to do, but like you I've had a bike for a very long time (roughly 50 years now) and once it isn't sitting out in the garage I might regret not having it.  I would probably prefer going back to something smaller if I continue to ride, but that leads to another quandary, what bike would I get?  The way I feel about H-D is common knowledge around here, and I really can't see me buying a new Harley.

I wish you well in whatever you decide.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 02:02:50 PM »

I've been thinking about selling my bike for several months.  Yesterday someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

First time without a bike in a loooong time.  Got my first bike (Cushman Eagle) at 14 in 1963.  First Harley (Sprint) in 1965.  I've had a bike since 1963 except for about a 12 year period while my children were young.

Will I buy another bike?  Not sure.  Due to health reasons I have been considering giving up riding,  Then again, I've owned every Harley bike model except a Road Glide.  Maybe I need one more bike!

:nixweiss:
Tommy sorry to hear you are dealing with some health issues... take care of yourself and do whatever you need to get those issues corrected (we need you here to keep Chip straight :D) and when things get better you can decide about another bike/riding. Good luck, don't be a stranger, and keep us informed of how things go for you.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 07:44:40 AM »

With my new knees I hope to get another 10 years of riding. Almost gave it up before the operation.
Bill

PinkE

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 08:54:35 AM »

Why don't you guys try a trike?  As I age I noticed my balance was a little off, I love the trike, it gives me the freedom of riding and don't have to worry about laying it down around a turn or holding it up.  I just think those of you that LOVE to ride should keep on riding, if you want to.  Go test drive one...I am seeing more and more of them on the road, young guys and old...Harley makes 2 models, but you might want to consider doing a conversion on the Harley you already own, mine is a Ultra Classic with a Lehman Renegade trike kit.  I LOVE it.  Just a thought... :nixweiss:
MY Broom is an `04 FLHTCUI Lehman Trike and I Love flyin on it!!!

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 09:15:18 AM »

Getting older beats taking a dirt nap but it still sucks at times.  Sad to hear you are currently without a scooter.  Take this break and see how you respond to not having a bike.  If you are missing it more a bit everyday, that should tell you to get back on the horse.  If, however, you find yourself missing it less each day, that might say something, too.  I've had breaks in bike ownership before... just a year in a couple of cases and once for 5 years.  Missed it everyday I was without one.  My knees will be what puts me on a trike at some point but two or three wheels and Lord willing, I'll be riding. 

I'm not telling you or others here something you don't know as a long time rider but riding the motorcycle has been the "something" I have enjoyed over the years in spite of whatever else is or has happened in my life.  As a Christian, I am constantly finding God in all the beauty and glory of this world He created and use the time in the saddle to talk to Him often.  I, like most here, have seen the face of God many, many times riding the bike.  I think back on all the beauty I've seen in the saddle of a big twin motorcycle and it overwhelms me at times.  Would I have seen the same things in a cage....yep.  It's different on the bike and something I don't want to miss ever again.

Yes it's dangerous, yes I could be in an accident at anytime but...I could also trip over the hose in the backyard, fall down the stairs, slip in the bathtub.....but riding is THE thing that I can go to, enjoy with my spouse and see the world.

Tommy, good luck with whatever choice you make in the coming weeks/months and whatever is ailing you at present, I pray the Lord's healing for you. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:30:14 AM by Haird »

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 09:35:27 AM »

With my new knees I hope to get another 10 years of riding. Almost gave it up before the operation.

Hey Bill, same here.   Hope your doing well.  It will be 1 year on the 29th and while it was difficult, I'm glad I did it now and didn't wait any longer... Hope I get at least another 15 years  before it's trike time.  :2vrolijk_21:

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 09:52:13 AM »

Tommy,

Sorry to here your health dictates not riding anymore.  Happy you got a price you couldn't turn down.  Although we never really got to know one and other I look up to you like a statesman, always there to keep us in line.  Wishing you relief from your health issues and hope whatever path you choose you enjoy it.

God Bless You
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:16:32 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 02:38:51 PM »

Tommy, sorry to hear of the health issues. I understand selling the scooter when the price is more than you could turn down.
I hope your health improves and you stay active on the site. Remember bikes are optional at the MV GTG and it would be good to see you and Judy again. You could always sit and ponder with Pado and me. He will be in MV this year.
God Bless and here's to you  :drink:
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 05:24:11 PM »

Tommy, sorry to hear of the health issues. I understand selling the scooter when the price is more than you could turn down.
I hope your health improves and you stay active on the site. Remember bikes are optional at the MV GTG and it would be good to see you and Judy again. You could always sit and ponder with Pado and me. He will be in MV this year.
God Bless and here's to you  :drink:
Mike
 :drink:

Planning on being there with or without a bike!
 :2vrolijk_21:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 08:10:02 PM »

Planning on being there with or without a bike!
 :2vrolijk_21:

Hell, you could borrow one of mine.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 08:11:48 PM »

Remember bikes are optional at the MV GTG

HUH?

:nixweiss: :nervous: :nixweiss:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 08:46:45 PM »

HUH?

:nixweiss: :nervous: :nixweiss:

SBB

At least he didn't say clothing.  :huepfenlol2:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 08:58:08 PM »

.  As a Christian, I am constantly finding God in all the beauty and glory of this world He created and use the time in the saddle to talk to Him often.  I, like most here, have seen the face of God many, many times riding the bike.  I think back on all the beauty I've seen in the saddle of a big twin motorcycle and it overwhelms me at times.  Would I have seen the same things in a cage....yep.  It's different on the bike and something I don't want to miss ever again.

I talk to him more on my  bike than any where else.  Can't think of a time I was on a bike I did not talk to him, and marvel at the world he created.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.