Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Aftermarket Pipes Will Now Void Your Warranty  (Read 15751 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Aftermarket Pipes Will Now Void Your Warranty
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 09:09:33 PM »

I don't believe it's a matter of believing you and I don't believe the OP was calling you a liar.  As I read it, he was saying that you were lied to.....in other words the dealership lied to you.  And we all know that would not have been the first time.

I believe most, if not all, the members on this forum like that you posted what you were told.  I believe the MoCo will push as hard and far as they can but they have to know this might come back to bite them in the butt.  As I mentioned above, a lot of these mods were performed at dealerships.  Maybe that issue doesn't affect the MoCo because that may not have been MoCo endorsed and may lie on the individual dealerships. 

What ever the case, it could be a real thorn in their side for a few years to come on those bikes that are still under factory warranty.  For those buying 2017 MY bikes.....they  better like the way it comes from the factory or be willing to live without the warranty.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 09:39:46 PM »

Not really.  What your bike was repaired under was NOT the factory warranty, which is what this dealer was talking about.  The ESP is NOT a warranty, even though millions of people mistakenly call it that.  It's a service contract (Extended Service Plan), and Harley doesn't control whether or not those claims are approved.  Those are the domain of the ESP company, in this case a company called CNA.  Consider yourself lucky they didn't deny your claim as well, since they have been doing just that quite a bit over the past eight years or so.

Jerry
My bad for the confusing Warranty / ESP. Shame on anyone who accepts denial. I purchased the D and D Exhaust and a Tuner from my local Harley Dealership in 2009 when I purchased the bike, prior to such I inquired, Will this in any was effect my warranty, the answer was no. I have had numerous Warranty claims (stator and oil cooler) and ESP Claims (oil cooler, stator, primary seals, tires, throttle wire and now the complete motor rebuild on 8/31/16) without any issues. So where I sit I can't agree with your assessment. My claims have gone through 3 different Dealerships in  Las Vegas Nevada and 1 Dealership in Kingman AZ, without any problems. I speak the truth from my personal experience my brother.
 Also, while responding the GM one of my local Dealerships returned my call, they have never had an engine rebuild not be covered by Warranty (Warranty the engines are crated up and shipped back) or ESP (rebuilds) due to the Exhaust.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 10:17:11 PM by FLTRCVO »

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 1962 XLCH
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 09:41:28 PM »

[/quote]
I don't believe it's a matter of believing you and I don't believe the OP was calling you a liar.  As I read it, he was saying that you were lied to.....in other words the dealership lied to you.  And we all know that would not have been the first time.

I believe most, if not all, the members on this forum like that you posted what you were told.  I believe the MoCo will push as hard and far as they can but they have to know this might come back to bite them in the butt.  As I mentioned above, a lot of these mods were performed at dealerships.  Maybe that issue doesn't affect the MoCo because that may not have been MoCo endorsed and may lie on the individual dealerships. 

What ever the case, it could be a real thorn in their side for a few years to come on those bikes that are still under factory warranty.  For those buying 2017 MY bikes.....they  better like the way it comes from the factory or be willing to live without the warranty.

Thanks JCZ...I misread that post and apologize for that comment. That being said, both of the people that gave me that info are friends and have no reason to lie either. I truly believe what they told me. I'll be one of those guys that'll give up my warranty on my next bike. There's no way I'll be able to ride around with stock pipes and no engine mods till the warranty runs out. I've been riding Harley's for 25 years and have been lucky enough to never have any engine failures. I'll be rolling the dice on my next new one.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 07:32:32 AM by 1badbagger »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2016, 03:04:30 PM »

As far as the trailer hitch part of the original comment goes. It would be in your best interest if you do have one and your bike us under factory warranty or ESP warranty to remove it before going to the dealer as I believe a few of our members have been denied repairs for having the hitch on when they brought the bike in.

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange (sold 2020)
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 03:11:09 PM »

copied and pasted from my 2016 FLHTKSE owners manual

I can see HD saying those after market grips or speakers are the reason your lifters failed, so no warranty!

This limited warranty will not apply to any motorcycle.

1.Which has not been operated or maintained as specified in the owner's manual.

2.Which has been abused, neglected, misused, improperly stored, used "off the highway," or used for racing or competition of any kind.

3.Which is not manufactured to comply with the laws of the market in which it is registered.

4.Which has off-road or competition parts installed to enhance performance, a trailer hitch, or has other unapproved modifications (even if these modifications include genuine Harley-Davidson parts and accessories that are not approved for use on your motorcycle). These modifications may void all or parts of your new motorcycle limited warranty. See an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer for details.

5.Which has been subjected to an act of God, war, riot, insurrection, nuclear contamination, natural disasters, including, but not limited to, lightning, forest fires, dust storms, hail storms, ice storms, earthquakes, or floods, or other circumstances out of Harley-Davidson's control.

6.Which has been in an accident or collision or has been dropped or struck.

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange (sold 2020)
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 03:12:39 PM »

Oh and someone mentioned keeping all the stock stuff for when you need repairs. That all sounds great but when you are 400 miles from home, sitting along the road, broke down with your under warranty motorcycle. That option is really not very viable.

Removing the hitch and trailer along the shoulder of a busy highway does not sound too appealing either.

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 03:19:16 PM »

My bad for the confusing Warranty / ESP. Shame on anyone who accepts denial. I purchased the D and D Exhaust and a Tuner from my local Harley Dealership in 2009 when I purchased the bike, prior to such I inquired, Will this in any was effect my warranty, the answer was no. I have had numerous claims Warranty (stator and oil cooler) and ESP Claims (oil cooler, stator, primary seals, tires, throttle wire and now the motor) without any issues. So where I sit I can't agree with your assessment. My claims have gone through 3 different Dealerships in  Las Vegas Nevada and 1 Dealership in Kingman AZ, I can only speak the truth from my personal experience my brother.
 Also, while responding the GM one of my local Dealerships returned my call, they have never had an engine rebuild not be covered by Warranty (Warranty the engines are crated up and shipped back) or ESP (rebuilds) due to the Exhaust.

My original post wasn't meant to start a big debate but more to inform Harley owners that the Moco will be cracking down on any motor issue they can pin on the consumer rather than taking ownership of like they did in most cases in the past. If you ask that same question that you asked in 2009 I'm guessing your not going to get the same answer. I hope I'm wrong because I like my bikes fast and loud so I don't see me running a stock bike for two years before making changes.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 05:20:12 PM by 1badbagger »

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2016, 04:14:59 PM »

copied and pasted from my 2016 FLHTKSE owners manual

I can see HD saying those after market grips or speakers are the reason your lifters failed, so no warranty!

1.Which has not been operated or maintained as specified in the owner's manual.

2.Which has been abused, neglected, misused, improperly stored, used "off the highway," or used for racing or competition of any kind.

3.Which is not manufactured to comply with the laws of the market in which it is registered.

4.Which has off-road or competition parts installed to enhance performance, a trailer hitch, or has other unapproved modifications (even if these modifications include genuine Harley-Davidson parts and accessories that are not approved for use on your motorcycle). These modifications may void all or parts of your new motorcycle limited warranty. See an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer for details.

5.Which has been subjected to an act of God, war, riot, insurrection, nuclear contamination, natural disasters, including, but not limited to, lightning, forest fires, dust storms, hail storms, ice storms, earthquakes, or floods, or other circumstances out of Harley-Davidson's control.

6.Which has been in an accident or collision or has been dropped or struck.

My 2013 manual says the same thing. Number 4 pretty much sums up what the Moco intends on enforcing more than they did in the past.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2016, 04:36:45 PM »

Oh and someone mentioned keeping all the stock stuff for when you need repairs. That all sounds great but when you are 400 miles from home, sitting along the road, broke down with your under warranty motorcycle. That option is really not very viable.

Removing the hitch and trailer along the shoulder of a busy highway does not sound too appealing either.
I agree and by no means was I suggesting that. Only saying that others have had denials of ESP or factory warranty denied when someone had a hitch on their bike that was all. I hope all works out for you. And hope you have a better day.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2016, 04:50:15 PM »

Thanks for having my back Jerry. I don't like being called a liar and have no reason to lie about this. I'm actually sorry I even brought it up.  I was just trying to help out other members and let them know what I found out from two different dealers here in Pa. this week. The Moco WILL be picking fly$hit out of pepper on any motor issues under the two year warranty moving forward. I'm sure all the dealers were told the same thing so those that choose not to believe me, ask your local dealer how they are going to handle things if you have an engine failure.

I don't think YOU are being called a liar. I think the point is this: HD has been saying that very thing for many, many years (10+). Just the first you have heard of it. It all comes down to the claim. Most if not all are different in some way. Some get covered, some don't. Some people accept the non-covering, some don't. Decide to take the chance and add non OEM (dealer) parts or don't. Simple.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2016, 05:17:40 PM »

5.Which has been subjected to nuclear contamination

cya much?  I think if this happens, getting warranty service on my bike is going to be way down on the list of things I want done.....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2016, 05:45:40 PM »

I don't think YOU are being called a liar. I think the point is this: HD has been saying that very thing for many, many years (10+). Just the first you have heard of it. It all comes down to the claim. Most if not all are different in some way. Some get covered, some don't. Some people accept the non-covering, some don't. Decide to take the chance and add non OEM (dealer) parts or don't. Simple.

Yeah I misread the liar post.
I did hear of it before, but just heard last week, they are now enforcing it to a new level since they were fined by the EPA. I was looking at a leftover 2016 CVO RGU and was told about the crackdown because they know how I like to tinker with my bikes. Later that night I was talking to a different dealership owner to see if I was getting a good deal and we started shooting the $hit and got on that subject, he told me the same exact thing. Guess we'll see in the future when we start to hear the horror stories. :'(

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2016, 09:19:29 PM »

Yeah I misread the liar post.
I did hear of it before, but just heard last week, they are now enforcing it to a new level since they were fined by the EPA. I was looking at a leftover 2016 CVO RGU and was told about the crackdown because they know how I like to tinker with my bikes. Later that night I was talking to a different dealership owner to see if I was getting a good deal and we started shooting the $hit and got on that subject, he told me the same exact thing. Guess we'll see in the future when we start to hear the horror stories. :'(

I hear ya. I'm sure they have to start cracking down at some point.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2016, 09:55:43 PM »

I wonder if is simply an excuse to avoid fixing their workmanship. They do have a history of not taking responsibility for their products.

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

68 XLCH

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2016, 10:16:34 PM »

The push for some HD's dealerships including mine was, anything that we put on the bike before delivery will be included in your 2 year warranty.   That sounded good, so they pushed the tune, pipes, dyno, lights etc.   

I talked to the owner the other day and he said any work that we did under that agreement will still be covered by us, i don't care who us is as long as the dealer takes care of it.

As for new 2017's no tuning mods, but they do have some HD pipes that still have CC, EPA compliant,  but sound a little better that will not affect the warranty.

It is like the VW dealer that i have a few cars from, their pitch is they do free inspections, oil changes for life, warrantee the engine and now transmission for as long as you own the car.   How many people own the car for life?  Not many, but it is a good selling gimmick, and for those of us that stay will a vehicle it may pay off.

And of course this is only good as long as the dealer is in business.
2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Merc/Smoky Qtz Flames, Stage 1, Fulsac pipes, V&H 450's, Passing Lights, CD front turn Signals.

Retired Army and State Police
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 21 queries.