Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Aftermarket Pipes Will Now Void Your Warranty  (Read 15753 times)

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
Re: Aftermarket Pipes Will Now Void Your Warranty
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2016, 08:25:08 AM »

Grandfathered in what?  Or how?  The major legislation and administrative rulings governing what is allowed and what can legally be altered haven't altered.  The emissions particulate standards continually evolve.  The main guidelines that disallow altering emissions hardware from the Federal level have been consistent for years though.  So this type of remark from a dealership doesn't pass the sniff test.

They might as well say "we didn't pay attention as much on bikes with changes like yours before -- even though the rules said we should -- now on new bikes we don't dare get caught -- we hope we don't get caught on yours -- but god help you if something happens to change our mind tomorrow."
As I stated much earlier in this thread, my bike and I'm sure many others wouldn't be outfitted without Harley Davidson selling the SEPRT, the pipes and installing such and stating your warranty was safe which was obviously the case with me receiving a complete motor rebuild with a cost in excess of $6300. on 9/23/16. However, if warranties were denied and since Harley doesn't buy back the tuners they installed don't you understand there would be litigation and that my friend is why Harley paid so much in the settlement, just my opinion  But for the non SERT people out there nobody cared that Harley wouldn't buy back the SERT from the purchasers (how many hundreds of thousands were sold), they should eat this money; did you read anywhere in the settlement where it stated Harley Davidson had to buy back and or retrieve all previously sold SERT's?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:38:00 AM by FLTRCVO »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Aftermarket Pipes Will Now Void Your Warranty
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2016, 08:41:52 AM »

There will be dealers who take the ultra-conservative approach, and there will be others who will continue to "look the other way" or whatever other euphemism they care to use for violating the law.  It will take some enforcement action by the EPA and CARB in some highly publicized cases to set the tone before some dealers will see the light I suppose.

Other than the stock sound level which seems to be the biggest "issue" with traditional Harley customers, the rest of the emission system would have never been a problem IF Harley had put forth the effort to meet the standards without compromising performance and reliability.  They did not do so, and then they profited from that conscious decision by selling illegal products and devices so the customer could fix it for them at his own cost.  Now the party is over, and I'll bet you they will magically find a way to make a stock bike run well right off the showroom floor just like the auto industry did decades ago.  Early reports on the M-8 seem to suggest they've already done that, but time will tell.

What Harley owners are going through now is similar to what car owners went through in the 70's and 80's.  After a few years of poor drivability and performance, the industry went on to produce the best powertrains in the history of the industry.  I for one prefer having the ability to buy a stock vehicle off the showroom floor and not have to immediately start making modifications to make it run right.

Jerry 
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.