Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Busted!  (Read 6278 times)

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
Busted!
« on: December 29, 2007, 11:55:27 AM »

Anybody know someone who can get a speeding ticket from the GA State Patrol fixed???  While out riding last night between rain showers I saw a car that was coming at me jump the center median and do a U turn.  When I saw it was a state trooper my first though was "I wonder who he's after?".  We I looked down at my speedometer, I knew who!  He clocked me at 82, but was nice enough to write the ticket for 70 in a 45 which will make it a speeding charge instead of wreckless driving. 

First ticket since 91, guess I was due!

:( :(

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Busted!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 12:15:28 PM »

I know it depends on the city and the prosecutor (sp), but I have just gone by the prosecutors office and talk to them about it, and a few times, I have gotten them to drop it to an equipment violation without hiring a lawyer. It might be worth a phone call or a visit.  :2vrolijk_21:

Hobo
2001 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide (FLTRSEI2)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 12:27:13 PM »

Anybody know someone who can get a speeding ticket from the GA State Patrol fixed???  While out riding last night between rain showers I saw a car that was coming at me jump the center median and do a U turn.  When I saw it was a state trooper my first though was "I wonder who he's after?".  We I looked down at my speedometer, I knew who!  He clocked me at 82, but was nice enough to write the ticket for 70 in a 45 which will make it a speeding charge instead of wreckless driving. 

You're very, very lucky...in any other jurisdiction that I know of, even 25 mph over the posted spead limit is still reckless driving.  Wow, 82 in a 45?  I hate to say it, but bite the bullet and pay the fine...almost twice the speed limit...you were definitely speeding Bro!!!!  :-*
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 12:37:26 PM »

yep, anything over 15+mph over the limit is a problem in NC.  :-[  aaargh.  :'( spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 12:43:22 PM »

You're very, very lucky...in any other jurisdiction that I know of, even 25 mph over the posted spead limit is still reckless driving.  Wow, 82 in a 45?  I hate to say it, but bite the bullet and pay the fine...almost twice the speed limit...you were definitely speeding Bro!!!!  :-*
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:
Ain't that the truth!!!

Tommy you're lucky that you are not a Virginia resident and got caught here with our Unsafe Driving Fees (Abusive Driver Fees). :nervous:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 01:23:09 PM »

Mi amigo Tommy...if you were in Florida I have a lawyer who I have used his sservices for 15 years which for $69.00 get rid of the ticket...........I hope that you resolve the problem the best way.

Jorge

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 01:29:36 PM »

Bummer man. Sounds like you were overdue. I am.  :nervous:

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 07:14:50 AM »

Tommy,

This is really weird, I got my first ticket in years on Thursday... 61 in a 45.  Mine was a Cobb County motorofficer to top it off!  I was in the car but I had an H-D decal on the back of the truck, you'd think he would have cut me some slack.  I'm glad he reduced the speed at least, I'm sure that would have been ugly.  ???

Bob
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 08:02:41 AM »

It has been advertised all over the papers, the tv and the radio in our area that the police are out in force, and will ticket for anything and everything. No appologies, no exceptions and the tickets in our area are enough to be equal to a house mortgage, plus points on your licence which then in turn affects your insurance.  And in the last three weeks, we have certainly witnessed a lot of LEO out on the roads, and often having someone pulled over.  Tommy, hire a good lawyer. 

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 08:16:23 AM »

Tommy man sorry to hear about your ticket.... You just git caught up in the moment and you get caught....... BUMMER.
One of the service guys got a Speeding ticket the other day and hired a Lawyer and got it reduced to equipment malfunction. I think it cost $250.00 for the lawyer, but the goods news is NO POINTS.  I would MOST DEFFINALY hire a Lawyer.

Like HOBO said go talk to the Prosecuting Attorney Who knows it can't hurt.

Good Luck
~bubba~
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 08:41:57 AM »

Be thankful, Ontario just enacted a law that says if you get caught doing 50 Km/hr (31 mph) over the limt it's an automatic 7 day licence suspension and the vehicle gets impounded for the same length of time.

This is done at the roadside with no chance to appeal the suspension or siezure.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 09:32:48 AM »

Be thankful, Ontario just enacted a law that says if you get caught doing 50 Km/hr (31 mph) over the limt it's an automatic 7 day licence suspension and the vehicle gets impounded for the same length of time.

This is done at the roadside with no chance to appeal the suspension or siezure.
And lots of times, the damage done to the vehicle (scooter) is significant while hauling it in.  :nervous:  aaaargh.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Texas Lurker

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 05:27:46 PM »

I'd defiantly hire a lawyer. If your luck runs like mine you might get another one. I always take defensive driving class or whatever it takes to try & keep it from going on my record. Once they're on, they stay a long time. Just my $.02 worth! Linny

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 07:03:34 PM »

Tommy, I guess I'd ride against the prevailing winds here.  Have been fortunate enough not to have very many tickets.  Though certainly more than "none since '91."

When I got them I just paid them.  After all, I was the one that had screwed up.  And I did so knowing the potential consequences. 

Once I got pulled over and certainly had not done what I was cited for.  Fought and one that.  Aside from that, if I did it I did it.

The cop in this case already gave some pretty consequential favor.  Just because we can jump through some hoops to work things in our favor doesn't mean we always should.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 07:38:09 PM »

Tommy, I guess I'd ride against the prevailing winds here.  Have been fortunate enough not to have very many tickets.  Though certainly more than "none since '91."

When I got them I just paid them.  After all, I was the one that had screwed up.  And I did so knowing the potential consequences. 

Once I got pulled over and certainly had not done what I was cited for.  Fought and one that.  Aside from that, if I did it I did it.

The cop in this case already gave some pretty consequential favor.  Just because we can jump through some hoops to work things in our favor doesn't mean we always should.

a few thoughts on this :
1) Don is correct..as the officer already cut you a "deal" on the side of the road, should you end up in court.... you very easily could end up paying the same fine, plus a bunch of court costs, and getting the same points ( trust me, its in his notes that you got a break)
2) Every place is different, but it is theoretically possible in many places to get it chopped to an equipment violation or the like...in the case of this city, the fine wont change a bit, but the points and violation will

good luck with it

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 08:57:26 PM »

I've been a cop for a while and written many tickets, every one that I have reduced at the roadside was brought to court... that's why I don't reduce them at the roadside anymore.

I can let you know that I don't take it personally if I cut someone a break and they contest the ticket, in fact I don't know anyone on the job who does.

Generally, the only times there would be an issue is if there was some type of confrontation involved, you were doing something that could cause or did cause someone injury, or you have a terrible record.

Always go to court, never just pay... even if you are guilty.

The prosecutors look good when they get convictions, they do that by going to trial and wining or by cutting deals, the latter being the easy way out for everyone involved.

Good luck.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 07:36:34 PM »

Tommy,

It may be a long shot but what county in Georgia?

Jock

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 11:56:19 PM »

Well Tommy I guess we will share the same cell.   I GOT BUSTED TODAY 48 in a 25  :o  I still don't believe I was going that fast 35 maybe but NOT 48. I don't know what that officer was shootin but I'm perdy sure it wasn't me...   Called the Police Dept and they said for $80.00 and defensive driving class another $35.00 that it would not go on my record. So Saturday I get to go play with all the Teenagers from 9:00am to 4:00pm and its suppose to be 60º
here so no riding.  >:(

You started it so its your fault..  ;D ;D ;D

~bubba~
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

h-d mikey

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 SESG Citrus & Gun Stock
    • CVO2: 2000 SERG Triple Red
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 12:26:41 AM »

Well Tommy I guess we will share the same cell.   I GOT BUSTED TODAY 48 in a 25  :o  I still don't believe I was going that fast 35 maybe but NOT 48. I don't know what that officer was shootin but I'm perdy sure it wasn't me...   Called the Police Dept and they said for $80.00 and defensive driving class another $35.00 that it would not go on my record. So Saturday I get to go play with all the Teenagers from 9:00am to 4:00pm and its suppose to be 60º
here so no riding.  >:(

You started it so its your fault..  ;D ;D ;D

~bubba~

bubba,

Let me know where your defensive driving class is going to be and I will come in and do some teaching on HOW NOT TO GET BUSTED 010, while driving 48 in a 25 HOOOO I mean 35 I,am sorry.

Sorry that they got you,

h-d mikey
2012 SESG Citrus & Gun Stock
2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise (Wrecked By Harley)
2009 SERG Orange & Black (SOLD)
2005 SEEG Banana (SOLD)
2000 SERG Triple Red (SOLD)
1999 Fat Boy (Custom Everthing)

IRyde

• Chrome!! Zippin' by on an Electra Glide... Dual Tail Pipes... Doin' 105... In The Broad Daylight... On a Two Lane... Headin' Outta Town!!!!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2
    • My Website
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 12:32:55 AM »

I can't speak for GA but myself in WA have found a new friend!!  A traffic attorney.  He has gotten me off 4 tickets this year.  Ones for speeding being the easiest.  There are 1001 ways to pick on those radar guns.  Calibration, training, operation error, quality of unit etc..

Each representation cost me 300-400 bucks but with 7 vehicles I am ahead of the three years of insurance increases.

BTW:  how did I meet this guy you may ask?  My insurance agent!!  No lie!!

Just a thought.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 10:45:01 AM »

Not that I would know, but if you have a good driving record up to this point, you might contact the local DA's office and talk to them. I know someone, not me. ;D that got a 21 over the limit changed to 1 one point defective vehicle ticket with a 90 day probation. If another moving violation ticket in 90 days I would be back in court and get the 21 over back on my record with full fines. They did charge $125, and had to still go to court, but cheap compared to the alternative.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 10:53:16 AM by Talon »

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 10:51:57 AM »

Go to court you have nothing to lose.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 11:10:45 AM »

No tickets since '91 just means that you haven't been caught - you got caught- write the check and move on (more slowly) :) Yeah you get points but you don't have any now and I will use VA as an example if you don't get caught with a 12 month period they don't add up to a point that your Insurance is affected unless you are within the age of 16-35 then it doesn't matter what points you have you pay more for insurance because of higher risk (no fear).

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 12:26:09 PM »

Go to court and explain how hard the HD Gauges are to see when you are going that fast!!!!  You can go to court and hope the officer does not post, in Maryland it is then thrown out!!  Good Luck.

napalm
napalm

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 12:51:01 PM »

I just got a call from a family friend who needed some advice on a ticket he got recently, he was of the "just pay" frame of mind as well.

Seems that he had three tickets over a two month period where points were assigned, he never thought it was that big of a deal because he is a man of means.

We have discovered that his licence has accumulated 9 demerit points.

A frame of reference is a Careless Driving conviction, it is the most serious charge we have here that is non criminal, and it is assigned 6 points.

His insurance rates will increase by 200%, he has two teenagers that are also listed on the policy so it was already high…. and now because he is considered a high risk individual his rates for home and health could increase as well.

The MTO (your DMV) is currently in the process of arranging for him to come in for an interview, and based on his response, or if he’s convicted for any other offences, he is looking at an up to six month suspension.

The biggest problem here is not so much what has happened, but what can happen in the future.

If there is a legitimate crash that he is genuinely responsible for, he’s screwed.

I don’t know anyone who has been involved in an accident who could predict that they were going to be in an accident!

Most officers who have access will look at your previous convictions to assist in determining if you should get a break at the roadside.

If you have previous speed related convictions and you’re stopped for speeding we can even toss you in jail for repetition of the offence.

The purpose for the issuance of fines and the assignment of points is three fold, to act as a deterrent, to flag bad drivers, and to give us some tools to work with discretion wise.

Tickets and their ramifications should not be taken lightly.

By the way, most states and provinces have reciprocal agreements now, for example if you get a speeding ticket in Ontario the points will get assigned to your NY drivers licence.

Go to court… the worst that can happen is that you retain the same penalty that was assigned originally.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 04:49:59 PM by murphy »

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 01:00:19 PM »

Every good police officer will look at your previous convictions to assist in determining if you should get a break at the roadside.

Do you guys have the technology to do this on the side of the road

we certainly dont

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 01:04:43 PM »

Our cars have a direct link into the Ministry of Transportation records relating to drivers licenses and vehicles.

We can tell when, where, and what you got convictions for, even the past addresses that you have resided at since being licensed.

This is for Ontario, but I have obtained similar info from NCIC which is the American version of our CPIC.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 01:06:19 PM by murphy »

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 01:11:44 PM »

Our cars have a direct link into the Ministry of Transportation records relating to drivers licenses and vehicles.

We can tell when, where, and what you got convictions for, even the past addresses that you have resided at since being licensed.

This is for Ontario, but I have obtained similar info from NCIC which is the American version of our CPIC.

we have to have our dispatchers request that....  takes too long...

typically we wont do it, unless there is the possibility of a Driving Under Suspension with a Prior alcohol conviction...
(CRS 42-2-138 1(d) 1...automatic 10,000 bond :nervous:

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 01:46:38 PM »

interesting try..

Radar Wins Speed Test Against GPS
A Sonoma County, Calif., judge has ruled a speeding case supported by an officer's radar cannot be thrown out. The speeder's GPS system allegedly recorded a speed contradictory to the radar reading, but the judge ruled radar more reliable.

Roger Rude, a retired Sonoma County sheriff's lieutenant, brought the case to fight a ticket his stepson Shaun Malone received for going 62 mph in a 45 mph zone. Rude had installed a GPS system in the car to track his stepson's speeds. Rude alleged Malone never was speeding based on the GPS tracker.

The court ruled against the GPS data, holding that radar data is more reliable.

JB Harper, Radar Systems Engineer for Decatur Electronics, the manufacturer of the radar that clocked Malone, said radar is a time-tested speed assessment tool.

"Decatur radar has been catching speeders for more than 50 years," he said. "Radar reads a speed at the speed of light rather than calculating geographic and time differences between two separate readings as is done in a GPS system."

Officials with the Petaluma Police Department, which issued the ticket, agreed. Petaluma Police Capt. Dave Sears said GPS is a valuable tool but is not as accurate for tracking speed as radar.

For more information about Decatur, visit www.DecaturRadar.com

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 01:58:37 PM »

I was pulled over a couple of years ago for doing 70ish in a 55 and was able to change the ticket into a warning by stating that the cruise was set based on my GPS reading. The nice officer then proceeded to educate me, the interested listener, that those GPS's were not very reliable and shouldn't be used for setting the cruise.

I thanked him and rode on.

P.S. When my GPS says 71, my speedo reads 75. I, however, kept that nugget of information to myself.  ;D

:indian_chief:

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2008, 02:14:04 PM »

I was pulled over a couple of years ago for doing 70ish in a 55 and was able to change the ticket into a warning by stating that the cruise was set based on my GPS reading. The nice officer then proceeded to educate me, the interested listener, that those GPS's were not very reliable and shouldn't be used for setting the cruise.

I thanked him and rode on.

P.S. When my GPS says 71, my speedo reads 75. I, however, kept that nugget of information to myself.  ;D

nothin says you dont get a break now and then..

I knew a guy in the summer of 91 who got stopped in Missouri  doing 136 in a 55   ::) 

I um, he got off with a verbal warning....

and no, there was no badge involved

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2008, 02:49:14 PM »

I once got a ticket in Tennnessee doing 65 in a 45. The officer noticed the tires on my truck were oversized and told me I might have another shop or officer check my speedo and the judge MIGHT be lenient on me. SO, I decided to get a letter from the local cop, a good ole boy who I drink coffee with. He put his deputy in the truck with me, and drove ahead to the designated spot to clock me as I drove by. His deputy kept an eye on my speedometer and radioed the other cop when I was doing exactly 55 MPH. We drive back and he tells us he clocked me at 62 MPH. That was the exact opposite effect I was hoping for.

A week or so later, I stumbled into my uncle who works for another city in the water department. He drank coffee and socialized with all of the cops there. He called in a favor with the local chief of police to help me. He told me where he'd park and instructed me to give him enough time to set up, then drive by at 55 MPH. I knew from the first experience that I'd have to make up the difference  of 62-55 plus the amount I needed my speedometer to be off for traffic court. I drove by the guy at 75 MPH. I turned around and the guys face was shocked as he asked--HOW fast were you going? err...55 MPH just like you asked me to! He wrote me a nice letter, I took it to court and got out of the ticket.

Yup, I'm a shady character.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2008, 02:56:21 PM »

I once got a ticket in Tennnessee doing 65 in a 45. The officer noticed the tires on my truck were oversized and told me I might have another shop or officer check my speedo and the judge MIGHT be lenient on me. SO, I decided to get a letter from the local cop, a good ole boy who I drink coffee with. He put his deputy in the truck with me, and drove ahead to the designated spot to clock me as I drove by. His deputy kept an eye on my speedometer and radioed the other cop when I was doing exactly 55 MPH. We drive back and he tells us he clocked me at 62 MPH. That was the exact opposite effect I was hoping for.

A week or so later, I stumbled into my uncle who works for another city in the water department. He drank coffee and socialized with all of the cops there. He called in a favor with the local chief of police to help me. He told me where he'd park and instructed me to give him enough time to set up, then drive by at 55 MPH. I knew from the first experience that I'd have to make up the difference  of 62-55 plus the amount I needed my speedometer to be off for traffic court. I drove by the guy at 75 MPH. I turned around and the guys face was shocked as he asked--HOW fast were you going? err...55 MPH just like you asked me to! He wrote me a nice letter, I took it to court and got out of the ticket.

Yup, I'm a shady character.

LMAO

good story..glad it worked out....
interesting point though...
in THEORY radar is supposed to be used to confirm what you have visually estimated....  in other words you estimate the speed of the car and then you hit it with the radar...to confirm it and write it up...

more often than not i see ( a certain municipality nearby ranked as #2 speed trap in the nation) motor guys on there freakin Honda's waving the thing like a wand and just nailing people..

one of these days im gonna video tape it...  and save the tape for my next courtroom adventure ( badge or no badge, thats a chitty practice)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2008, 03:05:53 PM »

I always get a chuckle when I pass one of the roadside trailers with radar and a big flashing speed display. I use them to check my GPS. "Yep. Still accurate." Vrooommmm.....  ;D

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2008, 03:12:46 PM »

Interesting.......my SEEG speedo reads 2 mph faster than my GPS anywhere in the mid-range. (ie: 60mph to 80mph) The Dodge trk. reads 1 mph slower at 60 mph.  Wonder what other bike speedo's read compared to the GPS?   :nixweiss:  spyder

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2008, 03:13:14 PM »

I always get a chuckle when I pass one of the roadside trailers with radar and a big flashing speed display. I use them to check my GPS. "Yep. Still accurate." Vrooommmm.....  ;D

in the middle of the night ( certain unnamed LEOs) would get up speed in the Old 9C1 caprices and ring the bell on the smart trailers..

always fun when they pulled the computer and saw 136 on it  ( so im told)
 :P

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2008, 03:14:57 PM »

in the middle of the night ( certain unnamed LEOs) would get up speed in the Old 9C1 caprices and ring the bell on the smart trailers..

always fun when they pulled the computer and saw 136 on it  ( so im told)
 :P

You mean those things record? I didn't know that. :D

This give me lots of bad ideas.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2008, 03:21:47 PM »

You mean those things record? I didn't know that. :D

This give me lots of bad ideas.

yea

the whole point of them is to determine traffic enforcement patterns..based on trends

its just data, no video...  at least on the ones we have ;-)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2008, 03:28:25 PM »

yea

the whole point of them is to determine traffic enforcement patterns..based on trends

its just data, no video...  at least on the ones we have ;-)

I never knew they recorded speeds, although I can see why that info would be handy when determining where to post LEOs. I just thought they were there for alert purposes. The desire to "light one up" real good just got more tempting. But I'd never actually act on those reckless desires.  ;D

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2008, 04:26:42 PM »

Interesting.......my SEEG speedo reads 2 mph faster than my GPS anywhere in the mid-range. (ie: 60mph to 80mph) The Dodge trk. reads 1 mph slower at 60 mph.  Wonder what other bike speedo's read compared to the GPS?   :nixweiss:  spyder

Spydy...since I got the Metzler tires on the scoot, the GPS and the bike speedo are within 1 mph or less of each other. I think the Metz's are just a little big bigger in diameter (1/4" or so). With the Dunlops, it the bike speedo read about 3mph faster than the GPS.  My car also shows between 3-4 mph faster than the gps.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2008, 05:02:35 PM »

Do you guys have the technology to do this on the side of the road

we certainly dont

OOOPPPPS.... Sorry cuthbertss...I re-read your post after a very long (and early) dayshift and realized that I may have sounded a little derogatory there.

I have modified the post to say” most officers who have access”… intentions were good, brain NFG!!!

We use a lot more laser technology up here as opposed to radar.

The courts are listening to the GPS defense, but it doesn’t fly… the dude (or dudette) at the side of the road may be a different story… anything is worth a try!

The other posts about tire dimension etc are very true, the moco only calibrates the spedo at birth, there are a ton of factors that can change it afterwards… tire dimensions being one of them.

I am willing to test everyone’s bike against a laser so they will know exactly what their speed reading will be at no cost to you.

Well no cost except the expense of trekking up here to Toronto!

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2008, 07:02:25 AM »

Spydy...since I got the Metzler tires on the scoot, the GPS and the bike speedo are within 1 mph or less of each other. I think the Metz's are just a little big bigger in diameter (1/4" or so). With the Dunlops, it the bike speedo read about 3mph faster than the GPS.  My car also shows between 3-4 mph faster than the gps.

I noticed that too Terry, after installing the Metzlers, mine was much closer to the GPS.

Bob
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2008, 12:06:40 PM »

OOOPPPPS.... Sorry cuthbertss...I re-read your post after a very long (and early) dayshift and realized that I may have sounded a little derogatory there.

I have modified the post to say” most officers who have access”… intentions were good, brain NFG!!!

no worries

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2008, 12:23:18 PM »

Tommy,

It may be a long shot but what county in Georgia?

Jock

Richmond county.  As of now it looks like it's going away.  Not that I don't deserve the ticket, but, I would rather spend the $280 to help satisfy my OCD!

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2008, 05:07:10 PM »

Just read about this law..........http://start.localnet.com/article.php?article=D8TVFIRG0.html

Goes to show that age doesn't necessarily slow you down!
Member 4721
FXDSE2-Candy Cobalt/Midnight Blue

IRyde

• Chrome!! Zippin' by on an Electra Glide... Dual Tail Pipes... Doin' 105... In The Broad Daylight... On a Two Lane... Headin' Outta Town!!!!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE2
    • My Website
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2008, 05:26:43 PM »

Ouch!!! That is just wrong. :(

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2008, 05:28:28 PM »

What age are you suppose to slow down?  :nixweiss:  spyder

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2008, 06:11:28 PM »

What age are you suppose to slow down?  :nixweiss:  spyder
For me it will be the day after I'm buried. Until then full speed ahead. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2008, 10:08:06 AM »

For me it will be the day after I'm buried. Until then full speed ahead. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Good point.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 24 queries.