Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hauling Bike in a UHAUL or ????  (Read 1328 times)

Woop De Doo

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Hauling Bike in a UHAUL or ????
« on: July 01, 2008, 04:04:55 PM »

Hi
    Going to be moving Mom back to Virginia. Does anyone have any experience hauling a UC in one of these moving trucks along with the furniture? How do yo stabilize the bike? Tried UHAUL and Penske for bike trailers but no go. I would like to ride the bike back to Florida from Virginia.

Thanks,
     Don S

Sean M Cary

Re: Hauling Bike in a UHAUL or ????
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 04:18:20 PM »

Hi
    Going to be moving Mom back to Virginia. Does anyone have any experience hauling a UC in one of these moving trucks along with the furniture? How do yo stabilize the bike? Tried UHAUL and Penske for bike trailers but no go. I would like to ride the bike back to Florida from Virginia.

Thanks,
     Don S

I did my Kawa last year here - removed bolts from the floor of the moving van, not a trailer and put in eye bolts with big a$$ fender washers under the floor/deck. Mounted a wheel chock to a piece of plywood and bolted that to the deck to secure the front wheel. 

Worked well enough but I put stuff too close to the sides and dinged up my plastics - not a big deal on my dual-sport.

I am already trying to figure out how I can move TWO MC's, a 24ft trailer and my "rain car" with one F-150 and a KIA Mini-van next year when we PCS and not have to go up and back at $100 a fill up for my F-150.  Thinking of buying a utility trailer, or renting a u-haul just for the MC's - learned my lesson about packing close to the MC.

Sean

Sean

Sean M Cary

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 04:40:34 PM »

Have your bike shipped ahead of time.

http://www.motorcycleshippers.com/

http://www.auto-car-transport.com/

http://www.1aamotorcycles.com/services.html

http://www.moto-directory.com/services/svc-shipping.asp

DON'T USE ID Transport...not if you want your bike in any reasonable time frame...

The drivers are great, the owner is a liar.

Sean

Woop De Doo

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 09:33:24 PM »

Thanks for the inputs. I have requested quotes from the shippers.

DonS

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 05:31:03 AM »

If you are looking to rent a bike trailer try Rallytime trailers. www.rallytimetrailers.com.They are a manufacturer out of Ohio that is setting up trailer rentals throughout the US. We actually are a dealer for them here in Ontario. This all started when I started getting calls from actual HD dealers wanting to know if my own personal trailer would be available for rent. We now have a fleet that we rent out .THE MUFFMAN

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 06:23:08 AM »

It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 05:47:25 PM »

If you are looking to rent a bike trailer try Rallytime trailers. www.rallytimetrailers.com.They are a manufacturer out of Ohio that is setting up trailer rentals throughout the US. We actually are a dealer for them here in Ontario. This all started when I started getting calls from actual HD dealers wanting to know if my own personal trailer would be available for rent. We now have a fleet that we rent out .THE MUFFMAN

Need to fix your link, the 'they' got grabed as part of it
The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 09:55:58 AM »

Hi

Thanks,
     Don S

When I moved for PA to WA in 1987,  I had a 28" diesel Ryder truck with everything I owned in the world. It filled it about 3/4 full. Then I strapped my Virago in the end (in case the rig broke down) on the center stand with the orange ratchet straps. Last thing on was the gun collection and live plants and then a padlock for the roll up. Pulled a Nissan Stanza on a dolly and 3 1/2 days later I was in Seattle. Zero damage to the bike-not sure about an UC given the fact there is no center stand and it weighs twice as much as that old 920 Yamaha.

Ride Safe! :coolblue:

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 12:45:39 AM »

If your considering the U Haul method make sure you have the bike situated fore and aft rather than sideways like I saw being used last week! You could build a 2x4 tire channel to stabilize the bike and use plenty of tie downs.

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.