Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hot Seat!  (Read 1147 times)

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
Hot Seat!
« on: July 26, 2008, 03:22:17 PM »

Don't know how it is where the rest of you ride, but here in Georgia on a 100 degree day the heat coming through the seat when stuck in traffic can be rough!

In an effort to cut down on the high temps I thought I would try insulating the bottom of the seat.

I used a product from Thermal Sound Direct called ZeroClearance.  Comes in a 21”X48” sheet.  It has thick aluminum facing with fiber insulation material.  It also has adhesive already applied to the fiber.  Just cut to size, peel off the clear backing and stick it on. 

If I had to do it over, I would trace out a pattern onto poster board and use that as a pattern for the insulation.

I used HEAVY scissors to cut it with, but I think sheet metal sheers would do a much better job.  Wear gloves!  Very sharp edges!  If you have heated seats, be sure to bend back edges of the hole for the seat wiring harness.

I checked the seat temp before and after installation and it dropped ten degrees.  Not much, but every little bit helps!

One more tip.  Make sure the insulation fits as tight as possible to the seat in the area on both sides of the tongue that slides into the frame near the gas tank.  If it's not snug enough, you can't get the screw back in that attaches the seat to the fender.  Ounce you stick this stuff on, it's VERY hard to peal off!  I used a hammer to form the material to the seat in this area.

Here's a link to Thermal Sound:
http://www.thermalsound.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZeroClearanceSpecial
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 03:26:19 PM by 07hd110 »

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

16HD117

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Hot Seat!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 03:23:10 PM »

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

16HD117

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 03:23:48 PM »

Don't touch the white part after peeling off clear backing!  You could use this stuff to catch flies!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 03:29:49 PM by 07hd110 »

BigR55

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 11:29:59 AM »

I think I will try this. How about putting small tubing between the seat and insulation to connect to an ice pack in the tour pack?

16HD117

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 12:55:45 PM »

I think I will try this. How about putting small tubing between the seat and insulation to connect to an ice pack in the tour pack?

Sounds like a plan!
 :2vrolijk_21:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 01:03:05 PM »

And if that doesn't work, cut a piece about the size of your a$$, drop your shorts, bend over and apply.  Don't forget an opening for evacuation ....   :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 01:35:54 PM »

And if that doesn't work, cut a piece about the size of your a$$, drop your shorts, bend over and apply.  Don't forget an opening for evacuation ....   :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao:

If my a$$ gets too hot, it's time to stop for a beer!!! :pepper: :drink:

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.