Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Trailering tips needed  (Read 3854 times)

1Joker

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Trailering tips needed
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 05:52:23 PM »

How come people always make the statement "I usually don't trailer my bike" when they are about to trailer somewhere. :confused5:
you know the old saying "silly yuppie, trailers are for rednecks" :bananarock:
Salmon, the other pink meat!

mustysharley

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 12:44:20 PM »

wow, very interesting comments. i guess it's true what they say about an opinion. i find it interesting that people would leave the bike, tied down and in gear. as much as a bagger jumps around, why would you want the stress on the tranny gears? seeing that i'm kinda anal, when i do tow my bike, i actually put six straps on it. four pulling forward and two back. but then again, i have actually had one fall over in the trailer, even after checking it every 100 miles. ate up the inside of the trailer and then ate my ultra. wasn't pretty. i love this site, because we all have opinions and they all come with experience.  :2vrolijk_21:

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 01:13:02 PM »

wow, very interesting comments. i guess it's true what they say about an opinion. i find it interesting that people would leave the bike, tied down and in gear. as much as a bagger jumps around, why would you want the stress on the tranny gears? seeing that i'm kinda anal, when i do tow my bike, i actually put six straps on it. four pulling forward and two back. but then again, i have actually had one fall over in the trailer, even after checking it every 100 miles. ate up the inside of the trailer and then ate my ultra. wasn't pretty. i love this site, because we all have opinions and they all come with experience.  :2vrolijk_21:

I put it in gear when strapping it down, so it won't move when it come off the kick stand. I have only trailered a few big bikes, usually to get them to a shop in the winter or if their broke. Use to trailer a lot of dirt bikes, much easier!

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 01:27:41 PM »

I will buy this before I trailer or haul my bike anywhere again.  I used to have a toyhauler and have hauled many miles without incident useing tiedowns and soft ties but never as worry free as this would be.  Two parts are permanent on the frame of your bike and you do have to install and uninstall a bracket, looks like two bolts.  This looks like the only way to go for any trailering in my future. 

http://www.framelock.com/

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 07:34:55 PM »

I will buy this before I trailer or haul my bike anywhere again.  I used to have a toyhauler and have hauled many miles without incident using tiedowns and soft ties but never as worry free as this would be.  Two parts are permanent on the frame of your bike and you do have to install and uninstall a bracket, looks like two bolts.  This looks like the only way to go for any trailering in my future. 

I've often wondered how well those work, give us a report when you get one.

Another note: in toy haulers, the self "locking" cabinet doors need to be bungeed together. When hitting large bumps, your cans, bowls, etc. can dislodge, forcing the doors open, flying out and end up denting your tins. Don't ask me how I know this.

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 R-Glide Orange & Black
    • CVO2: 2006 V-Rod Orange & Black
    • CVO3: 2006 V- Rod Destroyer Orange & Black
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 09:01:56 PM »

I use two, 3'' ratchet's with lamb wool protectors strapped around the crash bars. I also have aluminium welded chalks for the rear wheel to keep it from moving side to side... and would never transport my bike with the transmission in gear or the kick stand down ....
Letz Ride

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 06:16:57 AM »

How come people always make the statement "I usually don't trailer my bike" when they are about to trailer somewhere. :confused5:
you know the old saying "silly yuppie, trailers are for rednecks" :bananarock:

When you live in the Great White North and you want to get to Daytona etc either in March or October not much choice in the matter. Not about to ride through snow just to get to the event.. All about feeiling safe on the road.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 07:18:41 AM »

I use two, 3'' ratchet's with lamb wool protectors strapped around the crash bars. I also have aluminium welded chalks for the rear wheel to keep it from moving side to side... and would never transport my bike with the transmission in gear or the kick stand down ....

Just my .02 here, one Texas boy to another, but I see a couple of things in this pic that would worry me. One is the use of only two straps. If one breaks or comes loose, you're SOL. The other thing that bothered me is the straps are down very low on the crash, er,  ah safety bars, so if you were in a panic swerve or a big bump, the bike would be prone to being topheavy.

Another poster mentioned using 6 straps, 4 going forward and 2 going backwards. I use to do this also, but someone, probably here,  posted some guidlines by Pingle, and their recommendations were for all the straps to be pulling forward to keep the bike pressure on the wheel chock. Makes sense to me, so that's how I do it now.

I don't like trailering bikes either, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.   :2vrolijk_21:

2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 07:52:53 AM »

OK, I'll admit it, I go entirely overboard on strapping down the bike in our trailer. However, never had a problem. Here's a pic of the front straps, there are four more holding down the back as well. Too many fears of it coming loose in the trailer an not knowing it so, I spent about $80.00 on Big Daddy 2" straps to hold down a $40k bike. Pretty cheap insurance.....

OH ya, been through some pretty rough roads and a few panic stops, yes I have trailer brakes, and the bike is always just as I left it when I closed the door. Peace of mind......
2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
2006 FLHTCUSE (traded in)
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

mustysharley

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 09:18:15 AM »

i have always been told to PULL the bike into the wheel chock, with the tie downs pulling forward. thats why i use four facing forward, then use two pulling back, to keep the butt end from jumping around. most of the Harley techs i've talked to say it okay to compress the front end, up to 50%. so i still use the handlebars to pull it into the chock. tried the wrapping the tie downs lower but wasn't confortable with it. only my 2 cents

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 11:08:56 AM »

I will buy this before I trailer or haul my bike anywhere again.  I used to have a toyhauler and have hauled many miles without incident useing tiedowns and soft ties but never as worry free as this would be.  Two parts are permanent on the frame of your bike and you do have to install and uninstall a bracket, looks like two bolts.  This looks like the only way to go for any trailering in my future. 

This looks pretty amazing. At $350 it seems a high price unless you trailer often. Then it seems like a reasonable price to be sure your bike is not going anywhere...

willymax4

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 12:10:32 PM »

spring sale price is now $279.95 plus shipping

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 06:32:18 PM »

Just another opinion:I use 2 big boy ratchet straps around the handlebars & 2 regular straps around the
frame above the crash bars just in-case one of the main straps brakes.All pulling foreward.On the back
I just put straps from the bag supports to the side so the bike can't move side to side.I don't put any tension on
them & haven't found that the rearend's moved.I tow from N.Y to Las Vegas & back most winters.I can't explain just how it happens,but
it's possible for the oil pump to pump the oil back into the crank case if the bikes trailered in gear.Scared the crap out of me when
I started the bike after unloading it & it sounded like it was going to blow up.Dealer claimed there was a bulletin out on that.I also compress
the forks enough so there's no movement.Pretty much the way I've seen the new bikes shipped.Not that I've seen more than a few.
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

bknerr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2009, 10:09:47 PM »

i used to hang front straps with bungies from the ceiling so i could get them on before i got off the bike. then got a bike-pro
chock, just ride on and get off bike. great for single-handed loading
1963 flh
1974 fxe

2003 flhrc
2008 flhtcuse3
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 22 queries.