Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Tails of the Dragon  (Read 2673 times)

..Hawk

• Full CVO Member
The Tails of the Dragon
« on: July 07, 2009, 10:10:07 PM »

Heading to the Tail of the Dragon soon.  Heard some rumors and looked at the Web site.  Rumors are some locals dump oil on the road,  most bikes scrape the pegs, nutty 18 wheelers, etc.

Been riding for over 30 years the last 17 on Baggers, rode through the Smokies from Gatlinburg to Cherokee, took the river road to Townsend.  Can't say I scraped the pegs on these rides and don't ride aggressively.  (maybe too fast in a straight line)

Thought the CVO riders are the best at separating fact from fiction.  Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks in advance.

04se103

Re: The Tails of the Dragon
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 10:22:41 PM »

Hawk been to the Dragon alot over the years best time to ride the Dragon is during the week less bikes there at that time. Never heard about oil being dumped on it yes 18 wheelers use it and yes I have scraped floorboards.

..Hawk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 10:37:48 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I might get down there on Sunday night  ride it on Monday.

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 04:15:15 AM »

Riding the Dragon is great fun. In my mind, it is easier on a Harley (except the V-Rod models) than on a sports bike. The reason for that is, that we ride not so digital as they do, but more smoothly, accelerating not so fast, breaking not so hard. This leaves time to better negotiate the next corner. The lighter, faster bikes many times are accelerated too fast to be able to optimally prepare for the next corner, at least for the average rider. Hence they end up in the woods. Other than that, it is over way to soon. Turn around and do it again!

Ride safely,
Louis

PS: There is a good video by Jerry "Motorman" Palladino on the Dragon.

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 07:06:41 AM »

Hawk been to the Dragon alot over the years best time to ride the Dragon is during the week less bikes there at that time. Never heard about oil being dumped on it yes 18 wheelers use it and yes I have scraped floorboards.

Same here, Have never heard anything about the oil, I live in Knoxville about 30 miles from the Dragon and ride it alot, They have doubled the patrol both state and county but not as bad thru the week. Reported on last nights news 2 killed over the week end and 1 yesterday.

Ride Safe  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 07:47:08 AM »

Never heard of "purposely dumping oil" on the Dragon.

Go for it....... I've been in the Smokies 4 times in the last 3 years and always made a pass through the Dragon for the fun of it!

Scrapping floorboards is normal.........that is what I tell Mrs Harley so she quits hitting me on the back of the helmet.

My sig pic is from this years dragon pass.

HAVE FUN IN THE SMOKIES.........

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 08:05:35 AM »

I've ridden the Dragon numerous times over the years and it's always great fun, but it does get crowded on the weekend.  While there, don't forget to check out other great roads in the area too...Cherohala Skyway, about 50 miles long, is a beautiful & twisty ride that runs from Robbinsville, NC to Tellico Plains, TN.  Also, Hwy. 28, aka "Hellbender" http://www.hellbender28.com/ is a great ride.  It begins at the Deal's Gap Resort on HWY. 129 (The Dragon) and runs south from there.  Numerous other great rides in that area...Enjoy your stay...Wish I was there!
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

..Hawk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 09:11:30 AM »

Thanks to all for the infomation.  Looking forward to the ride.

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 09:29:09 AM »

I've ridden it a dozen times , there are BIG trucks, Winnebagoes , and loads of adreneline crazed crotch rockets . I avoid it on weekends in the summer.  I've never seen an oil slick , the law doggies are pretty thick and would likely catch that for the 4 wheeled folks safety.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

charlie

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 12:49:48 PM »

I road it on my old ultra cvo I did'ent scrap the pegs.

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 07:29:52 PM »

Just got back from there - rode it on 7-2.  No issues, more traffic tham I expected for a weekday.  There is an area where oil was dumped on the road (there is a warning painted on the road) but it was a while ago and I didn't even notice where it was.  TN LEO was running radar (again, unusual for a weekday) so watch your speed - especially on the long straights where it is easy to do so.  Enjoy.

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 07:03:00 AM »

not unusual for the bears to be out thru the week anymore, two killed last weekend and one on monday, plus you were there on 7-2 week of the 4th, state is spending 150,000.00 this year to patrol that 11 mile stretch of hwy. and Deals Gap store is selling beer now, I live about 25 miles from the Dragon and have been on it one time this year and really don't care about riding it anymore.

Ride Safe  :2vrolijk_21:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 09:31:38 PM »

I was up there this past Sunday. The picknick table is gone and the bears are out. I came around a curve and run up on the biggest one I have ever seen in the Smokeys. He ran up the bank, stopped and sat down. Guess he wanted to watch the bikes. There is a web sight a guy from NC runs. www.tailofthedragon.com

Heading to the Tail of the Dragon soon.  Heard some rumors and looked at the Web site.  Rumors are some locals dump oil on the road,  most bikes scrape the pegs, nutty 18 wheelers, etc.

Been riding for over 30 years the last 17 on Baggers, rode through the Smokies from Gatlinburg to Cherokee, took the river road to Townsend.  Can't say I scraped the pegs on these rides and don't ride aggressively.  (maybe too fast in a straight line)

Thought the CVO riders are the best at separating fact from fiction.  Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks in advance.

..Hawk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 01:25:29 AM »

Thanks again for the info.

Rode the Dragon on the 13th of July.  Had a great ride, no one in front or behind me, just lucky as it was in the am of a Monday.  Enjoyed the Skyway also.  Waiting on pictures, will post.

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.