Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: If you have a Kendon Trailer.......  (Read 8256 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: If you have a Kendon Trailer.......
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 08:30:22 PM »

I took Terrie's bike up to Brad at Freedom Cycles in Reno to get it dyno tuned.  I've always installed the ramp as shown in the directions and have actually advised others of the proper way to install it.

With the ramp installed in the trailer, I went to load the bike on the trailer (I call it the ambulance because it's only used to get one of the bikes to or from the shop) As I gave it a little gas and feathered the clutch out.....as the back tire came into contact with the ramp, the ramp immediatly slid back and fell flat on the ground.  The bike was left with the front wheel on the trailer and the back wheel hanging in the air and the bike frame resting on the trailer.  The tongue had flatened out and when the back tire caught traction on the edge of the ramp it yanked the ramp right out of the trailer.

Had it not been for Brad and his brother standing right there, I don't know how we'd have gotten the bike up on the trailer or on the groung without causing damage and I'm grateful to them for their help.

I'm in the market for a ramp that's just a tad bit more sturdy on the support end of business.

By the way, thanks for posting this, Mark! :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 08:32:57 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 08:40:15 PM »

........I've always installed the ramp as shown in the directions and have actually advised others of the proper way to install it........ As the back tire came into contact with the ramp, the ramp immediatly slid back and fell flat on the ground.  The bike was left with the front wheel on the trailer and the back wheel hanging in the air and the bike frame resting on the trailer.  The tongue had flatened out and when the back tire caught traction on the edge of the ramp it yanked the ramp right out of the trailer. Had it not been for Brad and his brother standing right there, I don't know how we'd have gotten the bike up on the trailer.

Ouch!! JC it sounds like your angels were working overtime that day.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 12:11:40 AM »

I have a Kendon double as well and do not even use the ramp that came with the trailer. It is too short in my opinion. I have a folding aluminum ramp that is about 7' long. Makes loading and unloading bikes with 1 person a breeze and no worries of lowered bikes bottoming out.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 12:43:36 AM »

I have a Kendon double as well and do not even use the ramp that came with the trailer. It is too short in my opinion. I have a folding aluminum ramp that is about 7' long. Makes loading and unloading bikes with 1 person a breeze and no worries of lowered bikes bottoming out.

Which folding 7' ramp do you use?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 10:18:35 AM »

There are dozens of manufacturers of ramps. Most folding ramps have a load capacity of 500lb to 750lb rating. I generally use my non folding ramp as it has a 1000lb rating and I use my truck so I have space for it. My buddy has a 4' x 7' folding ramp with a higher rating and you can walk up it while loading but they are pricey. For JC, all these ramps have a cable and hook to avoid slip out.  :) Because of the weight distribution, the 1' folding ramp should be fine for the lower Kendon, but I would'nt load a bagger in my 4 x 4 truck with one unless it had a higher rating. (Jim's probably does)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 10:40:50 AM »

There are dozens of manufacturers of ramps. Most folding ramps have a load capacity of 500lb to 750lb rating. I generally use my non folding ramp as it has a 1000lb rating and I use my truck so I have space for it. My buddy has a 4' x 7' folding ramp with a higher rating and you can walk up it while loading but they are pricey. For JC, all these ramps have a cable and hook to avoid slip out.  :) Because of the weight distribution, the 1' folding ramp should be fine for the lower Kendon, but I would'nt load a bagger in my 4 x 4 truck with one unless it had a higher rating. (Jim's probably does)

Are you guys using any of these?

http://www.motorcycleramps.com/?gclid=CNnw17z05psCFdZM5QodnlqD6A

Because my trailer and ramp gets repeated high cycle usage, I am tempted to get one of these ramps to use.
Are any of you guys using one of these that you can recommend?
That cable and hook system sounds like a good feature as it would prevent the ramp slippage that JC experienced.

Mark

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 10:52:47 AM »

Not sure what Jim's ramp is rated at but I've used it several times, when I got the bikes trailered to his shop.  His ramp is very secure and just doesn't leave me with the uneasy feeling that the Kendon ramp does.  It's a wider ramp for one thing, so that's one less thing I have to be occupied with when unloading (or loading).

He loads bikes into the back of his truck (and unloads them) on a regular basis.  It's not been an issue for him so far.

Jim, what's the load rating on that ramp?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 10:12:29 PM »

Which folding 7' ramp do you use?

This one:

It is actually 8' long, 4' folded

http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/3/379/7732094?q=ramp

Retail is 209, let me know if you would like to get one, 159 + shipping

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 10:13:13 PM »

Not sure what Jim's ramp is rated at but I've used it several times, when I got the bikes trailered to his shop.  His ramp is very secure and just doesn't leave me with the uneasy feeling that the Kendon ramp does.  It's a wider ramp for one thing, so that's one less thing I have to be occupied with when unloading (or loading).

He loads bikes into the back of his truck (and unloads them) on a regular basis.  It's not been an issue for him so far.

Jim, what's the load rating on that ramp?

1000lbs

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 01:32:11 AM »

This one:

It is actually 8' long, 4' folded

http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/3/379/7732094?q=ramp

Retail is 209, let me know if you would like to get one, 159 + shipping

Jim,

Do you push the bike up the ramp or straddle and walk it? It does not look wide enough. For liability reasons Kendon does not allow folks to straddle walk bikes up the ramp making it a two person job for the heavy bikes.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 01:41:08 AM »

Jim,

Do you push the bike up the ramp or straddle and walk it? It does not look wide enough. For liability reasons Kendon does not allow folks to straddle walk bikes up the ramp making it a two person job for the heavy bikes.

I push it up, standing on the left side of the bike.  The ramp is about 12" wide and has side walls to keep the tire from rolling off the edge of the ramp. The angle of the ramp is minimal with the 8' ramp and the height of the trailer makes it very easy for one person to do. When I load into the truck I always have a second person to help load.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 07:23:49 AM »

I've loaded my Fat Boy in a pickup using a 7' tri-fold aluminum ramp.  It helps to put a thin plank in the center as mine has rungs spaced about 9-inches apart (makes it easy to unload as you can walk it down while sitting on it).  I just ride it up.  Let me tell you, the first time was daunting - sitting on an idling 650-pound bike staring at this ramp that looks impossibly steep, with a vivid image of getting just about to the top and slowly tipping to the left, foot going between the rungs and ending up laying over the edge with the bike on top of me.   But I've done it probably a dozen times since then and it's no big thing.  Getting the speed right so you have room to stop before you run out of bed is the hardest part.  In comparison loading the Road King on my Kendon is a snap.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 08:22:42 AM »

I'll contact that ramp site and see what they say. I'm sure a lot of riders contact them wanting to know which ramp works best with the Kendon trailer. I surfed the site and saw that most of the ramps have wide sturdy edges and securing straps. That gives me a bit more confidence after reading about what happend to JC. I hope to get my Kendon replacement ramp in a day or so. I'll use it until I find something better.

Mark

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 02:31:15 PM »

Jim,

Jim pushes them up and down.  With my long legs, I stradle the bike but my legs are still touching the ground until I can reach the trailer. :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 22 queries.