Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: If you have a Kendon Trailer.......  (Read 8281 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
If you have a Kendon Trailer.......
« on: July 20, 2009, 01:19:21 AM »

Check your ramp NOW!!!

Yesterday I went to load training bikes on the trailer for the Ride Like A Pro West Coast course. As I was attaching the ramp I noticed that severe metal fatigue caused the toungue on the ramp to crack.

So if you have a Kendon, please check your ramp and avert the possibility of catastrophic failure.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

hogasm

Re: If you have a Kendon Trailer.......
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 06:57:09 AM »

Mark

the other day I had my oil pump quit while down in Fla and my Uncle picked me up with a Kendon trailer. Both ramps had the same problem. :soapbox: We attributed it to hooking the ramp on incorrectly.......guess we were mistaken :oops:

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 09:29:06 AM »

Mark,
I had been warned about the tongue problem. As Hogasm said, our problem was partially due to installing the ramp upside down. :o
Installed the ramp correctly when we unloaded and had no problems.  :huepfenjump3:
Still have to get a gusset welded to fix problem.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 10:23:40 AM »

Have to get a gusset welded to fix problem.

That's on the top of my list to do today.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 10:33:59 AM »

Mark,
I had been warned about the tongue problem. As Hogasm said, our problem was partially due to installing the ramp upside down. :o
Installed the ramp correctly when we unloaded and had no problems.  :huepfenjump3:
Still have to get a gusset welded to fix problem.
Mike
 :drink:

Thanks, and we had to try that little experiment with my bike. Thankfully all went well.  ;D

KendonGuy

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 01:40:46 PM »

CVO Members,

Thanks for all your input.  From the pictures in this thread, it looks like the fracture came from the spoon of the ramp placed upside down.  As the manufacturer, I’d like to stress the importance of inserting the ramp with the spoon feed facing upwards.  Our ramps are built to regularly handle up to 1,000 lbs. bikes when inserted correctly.  From our 20 years of manufacturing trailers, we’ve only seen ramp failure due to improper installation of our trailer ramps. 

If you have any questions regarding the ramp operations, please contact Kendon at (800) 847-8618.  Attached are a few images from the Kendon Operations Manual and photos of the ramp with sticker instructions:

KendonGuy

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 02:15:37 PM »

Kendon Manual - Ramp Loading Instructions

KendonGuy

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 02:20:07 PM »

Kendon Ramp - Loading Instructions Step 1

KendonGuy

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 02:20:36 PM »

Kendon Ramp - Loading Instructions Step 2

KendonGuy

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 02:21:01 PM »

Kendon Ramp - Loading Instructions Step 3

KendonGuy

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 02:23:26 PM »

Kendon Ramp w/ Sticker Instructions to face Spoon Feed Up

KendonGuy

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 02:24:26 PM »

Kendon Overhead View of Ramp Installed

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 03:41:49 PM »

Guys I can tell you that I am NOT using the ramp incorrectly. I am using it FREQUENTLY, but not upsidedown or backwards.

I got a call from Kendon Industries this morning from Charles in sales. I was parked right outside a machine shop getting ready to have it welded when the phone rang. We spoke for a while then he put me through to Frank the owner of Kendon Industries. Frank wanted to make sure I was using the ramp correctly when attaching it to the trailer. I assured him I was as I had recieved specfic and proper instruction at the time of purchase. We discussed welds and metalurgy and so on. I asked if he had any advice for the tech who was going to weld it. Frank suggested that instead of welding, he would send me a new ramp which I agreed to. I also asked him for another set of caster wheels as the ones on it now are worn out. Frank said that upon seeing the picture he was surprised because what happened to my ramp has never been an issue. I told him that perhaps unlike most Kendons owners who use their trailers for occasional recreational purposes, I use mine repeatedly, sometimes four or more times a day transporting Kawasaki Police training bikes back and forth to the range. Frank went on to say that the Kendon trailers are used in MANY applications including daily use by dealers and other motorcycle related businesses. I thanked him for his time, prompt response and new ramp. He told me to contact him directly should I have further problems.

I have to say that when I first saw the crack I was very surprised. However I understand that NOTHING in the world is perfect. My main focus this morning was to get the ramp welded so I can use it next weekend for class. Having the company contact me and being able to speak directly to the owner of the company was also a surprise. That does not happen very often these days. It comes down to this. I had a problem with a Kendon product, I spoke with the owner and they are making it right. I made the original post because I was concerned that other Kendon owners may encounter the same thing. Hence my suggestion that all Kendon users check their ramps. When I posted this on other forums I got responses from folks who have experienced similar issues. Now I don't know if they use the ramps correctly like me, or incorrectly as posted by KendonGuy. I did pick up some good ideas from some of the improvments they made.

My opinion, and it's just that an opinion, is that perhaps the repeated high cycle usage that I employ transporting the Police Training bikes back and forth from the range may be considered excessive when compared to the recreational use of other Kendon owners. Whereas some may use their trailer infrequently just to haul a bike to a shop, a show or a rally, I use mine as a workhorse piece of equipment.

But my opinion may be wrong.

Mark

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 04:58:41 PM »

Right or wrong, it's nice to hear that Kendon sent you a new ramp regardless! They make a great product and we have enjoyed ours without any problems.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 07:00:59 PM »

Ironhorse, I got to tell you that goodwill like that shown by Kendon goes a LONG way. I was impressed with the way Mikeytee's carted my bike while down in Florida. A friend asked my opinion of this trailer just last week. I am going to let him know how far the owner of the company went and highly recommend he buy it. One more Kendon sale specifically related to this site.  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 21 queries.