Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: A Sturgis Anniversary I'd just as soon forget  (Read 2513 times)

1Man1God

• 1Man
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Blue-Bullet)
    • CVO2: Non CVO-2003 100th Anniversary Roadking (Pearl)
    • CVO3: Non CVO-1981 FXE (Crazy-Bitch)
A Sturgis Anniversary I'd just as soon forget
« on: August 09, 2010, 04:03:43 AM »

Saturday night last year, spent in the Old Meade County Jail, for DUI. Blew a .09. But the kicker was I wasn't pulled over. I had stopped to render aid. First on scene to two Brothers down. One in the middle if the highway, the other in the ditch not moving. As I lay on that concrete floor all night listening to the four other Bikers snore theirs off, I kept thinking that if I had just rode on by, I wouldn't be where I was. But that's just so wrong on so many levels. The guy in the ditch might not have made it. I told my story to the judge. Told her I did the right thing. Went to jail just cause some Young Buck cop smelled alcohol and I'm no good at passing breath tests. He never even saw me on the Bike. I admitted to riding it. Yea, I'd do it again. Cause it's Us vrs. Them especially at Sturgis. Good luck to all those at the Sturgis Cop Rally.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:25:45 AM by 1Man »
When life hits you hard....you either give up and lay down....or make your mind up that Nothing is gonna get in the way of your happiness. It starts with making that decision

CBW

• 1K CVO Member
  • HOG,AMA,ABATE
    • PA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDFSE
    • CVO3: 1984 FXE,1964 FLH
Re: A Sturgis Anniversary I'd just as soon forget
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 02:30:25 PM »

yeah,even with the other BS you still did the right thing.
RIDE SAFE and Never RIDE faster than your guardian angel can fly.

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 04:52:50 PM »

yeah,even with the other BS you still did the right thing.

I agree you did the right thing.

Jo Mo NYC  :coolblue:

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 05:39:36 PM »

Always carry a pack of gum or mints.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

CVOMOE!!

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • BC

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 08:50:03 PM »

Actually I've always found not drinking and driving to work best but I guess that's just me.  Kudo's to you for helping the injured but the young cop was doing his job and you broke the law.  End of story.

Cheers, Moe
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Banana - Sold
Freedom Tru-duals
Power Commander
Dyno tuned
Now a 107" with Cycle Shack exhaust and Race Tuner
2007 BMW1200GS - What a hoot - Sold May 2010
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 - Sold
2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 - Sold
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere - Sold
2014 Yamaha XT250 - Sold
2014 BMW F800GS - Sold
2014 Kawasaki KLX 351
2017 Triumph Explorer 1200
2017 Harley Ultra Classic Ltd

1Man1God

• 1Man
  • Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 03:41:19 AM »

Yea, I was waiting on that one. Point taken. Thanks brother.....Sheez!
When life hits you hard....you either give up and lay down....or make your mind up that Nothing is gonna get in the way of your happiness. It starts with making that decision

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 12:41:45 PM »

You did the right thing in helping a down biker.

Sorry to hear about the Law Enforcement issue.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 01:59:39 PM »

Actually I've always found not drinking and driving to work best but I guess that's just me.  Kudo's to you for helping the injured but the young cop was doing his job and you broke the law.  End of story.

Cheers, Moe

You did the right thing helping.  So did the young buck cop.   

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 02:08:54 PM »

No good deed goes unpunished...Sucks...

semperfi81

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5B #860 of 999
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 10:56:45 PM »

Cheers, Moe

X2 :2vrolijk_21:

grinner

• Happy Idiot
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: No CVO's At Present
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 09:47:28 AM »

Cop friend of mine told me to always carry one of the small airplane-type bottles of vodka with me at all times.  Said if you ever get pulled over, get out, drop the keys in plain view of the officer, and then chug down the vodka.  Said there would be no way to prove DUI, only charge could be public drunk or interference with an officer.

Never had to try this as I'm one of those "Drink - NO DRIVE" folks, but does sound plausible.  Even if they pull a blood test when they get you to the station it can't prove when the alcohol actually "entered" your system, and the cop's video will certainly provide a good defense and time stamp for at least one stiff drink out of the vehicle.....

And yes, no doubt you did the right thing by stopping.  Sorry they didn't see it that way and give you a break...... :sauer005:

Grinner
1988 Honda Hurricane
2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
2008 Aprilia RSVr (track)
2008 Honda GL1800
2009 Aprilia Tuono 1000R (track)
2009 Aprilia RSVR
2011 BMW G650GS (dual)
2012 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC (Screamer)
2012 HD XR1200x Sportster

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 09:59:43 AM »

You did the right thing to stop an help and kudos to you.  And stopping to help got you off your bike could have saved your life or the life of an innocent person.  No offense but .09 is way, way to far gone to operate a motorcycle or even a cage safely.  You were lucky you did not get hurt imo.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 10:16:24 AM »

Cop friend of mine told me to always carry one of the small airplane-type bottles of vodka with me at all times.  Said if you ever get pulled over, get out, drop the keys in plain view of the officer, and then chug down the vodka.  Said there would be no way to prove DUI, only charge could be public drunk or interference with an officer.

Never had to try this as I'm one of those "Drink - NO DRIVE" folks, but does sound plausible.  Even if they pull a blood test when they get you to the station it can't prove when the alcohol actually "entered" your system, and the cop's video will certainly provide a good defense and time stamp for at least one stiff drink out of the vehicle.....

And yes, no doubt you did the right thing by stopping.  Sorry they didn't see it that way and give you a break...... :sauer005:

Grinner
Don't think that would work as you're still in possession of/access to the vehicle even tho the keys are on the ground.  :( JMHO.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 10:52:15 AM »

Don't think that would work as you're still in possession of/access to the vehicle even tho the keys are on the ground.  :( JMHO.  spyder
Throw them!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 11:14:31 AM »

Hopefully that was an awakening to keep you from drinking and riding!  Glad you survived that night.  If we expect cagers to refrain from drinking and driving, there's no excuse for us not following that law. 

Saturday night last year, spent in the Old Meade County Jail, for DUI. Blew a .09. But the kicker was I wasn't pulled over. I had stopped to render aid. First on scene to two Brothers down. One in the middle if the highway, the other in the ditch not moving. As I lay on that concrete floor all night listening to the four other Bikers snore theirs off, I kept thinking that if I had just rode on by, I wouldn't be where I was. But that's just so wrong on so many levels. The guy in the ditch might not have made it. I told my story to the judge. Told her I did the right thing. Went to jail just cause some Young Buck cop smelled alcohol and I'm no good at passing breath tests. He never even saw me on the Bike. I admitted to riding it. Yea, I'd do it again. Cause it's Us vrs. Them especially at Sturgis. Good luck to all those at the Sturgis Cop Rally.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2010, 01:38:53 PM »

After re-reading the original post I must comment further.  With at attitude like that you are headed for grief.  No one likes to be hassled but when you were admitedly at .09 that was not hassling, that was protecting the public from your irresponsible behavior.  I don't mean to preach or come off as 'holier than thou.'  I really don't.  I have too many faults to even begin to list here but driving while impaired is not one of them.

A good friend of mine lost his young daughter and grandchild (well actually grandchildren as she was expecting her second child at the time) due to a drunk driver.  She had the green light and was crossing a busy four-lane street when she was t-boned by the drunk in a pick up truck doing at least 80 mph by police accounts.  As if this was not bad enought, get this.  He was headed to the county jail to serve his weekend time for you guessed it - a previous DUI conviction.

I have absolutely no compassion for folks who drive under the influence.  You deserve whatever hapens to you.  I only pray some poor innocent does not have to pay the price for your arrogance.

End of rant.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Ultra2010

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2010, 02:03:50 PM »

Learning experience, chit happens, better to be in your shoes than those you stopped to help.  Glad ya stopped, the rest is more or less behind you, until the insurance company finds out......  be looking for an increase IF they even keep ya.  I've never had a DUI, mostly cuz I'm too afraid to have any more than 1 beer and then get on the road.  And when I was younger I was to pretty to spend any time in jail, if ya know what I mean.....

But ya have big balls to come on here and tell all of us!  Stand up guy no matter how ya look at it!

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2010, 02:10:24 PM »

But ya have big balls to come on here and tell all of us!  Stand up guy no matter how ya look at it!

X2
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 10:03:11 PM »

#1 reason for motorcycle accidents and deaths in Sturgis each year.  Two or three drinks, to close to that center line and they tangle handlebars.

The message of the posts above seem to be alcohol and motorcycles don't mix, no matter where you're at.  I didn't always think or feel that way but as I've gotten a little older I've gotten just a bit more wiser. :2vrolijk_21:

Sometimes I wonder how I made it through the 70s riding the way that I use to. :nixweiss:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:04:51 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

My Bagg

• Ferguson, Harley Ferguson
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: Red FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 10:10:47 PM »

#1 reason for motorcycle accidents and deaths in Sturgis each year.  Two or three drinks, to close to that center line and they tangle handlebars.

The message of the posts above seem to be alcohol and motorcycles don't mix, no matter where you're at.  I didn't always think or feel that way but as I've gotten a little older I've gotten just a bit more wiser. :2vrolijk_21:

Sometimes I wonder how I made it through the 70s riding the way that I use to. :nixweiss:

"Ain't" that the truth!

1Man1God

• 1Man
  • Full CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 02:33:38 AM »

Your points are well taken, and believe me well understood. Point being, it's very easy at Sturgis for things to go a little too far. It was my mistake. But I wasn't stumbling drunk. Just so you get it. There's 9 million cops at Sturgis just itching to pull you over for ANY reason. It's a money game! A fund raiser! They wanted to impound the bike! And would have too, cept it was registered in my GF's name n she passed the test. They would have left her standing on the side of the road, blood all over her for Christ Sake! You weren't there to hear the Cops singing,"You're in the Jailhouse Now," Hear em laughing about going out for another "Roundup." Yea, I'm done with the Big Rallys. Cause they're traps. And That Kind of Aggressive Enforcement causes problems. People riding around looking at their speedometers instead of watching where they're going. Afraid of getting pulled over for 34 in a 30! Balls? Nope, that's just how I roll! I ain't scared, cause the truth don't have to be propped up, it stands on it's own. So do I!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:10:17 AM by 1Man »

1Man1God

• 1Man
  • Full CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 03:19:10 AM »

One more thing, and then I'm done with this thread. I said,"I went to jail for DUI. I didn't say I was convicted! Cause like I said before. " IT'S A MONEY GAME!"
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:23:34 AM by 1Man »

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 08:52:02 AM »

If you ask me, you did the right thing.  I also think the cops did the wrong thing.  If they did not see you riding that bike, then they really have no case.  All you have to do is say your girl friend was riding you.

You did the right thing.

I am not advocating riding and drinking.  However it sure sounds like the cops were very wrong in this case.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 22 queries.