Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil consumption  (Read 1161 times)

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
Oil consumption
« on: May 13, 2005, 07:01:25 AM »

Looks like a little over half a qt in the first 450 miles, is this normal? Or maybe it was never full when I picked it up, I trusted them.  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
Re: Oil consumption
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 07:24:20 AM »

mine used just about that amount then it settled right out - same with fuel - guzzled it right down for the 1st tank full and then settled right out (that $6.07 a gallon stuff went fast) [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 07:31:33 AM »

same with fuel - guzzled it right  (that $6.07 a gallon stuff went fast) [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

whats up with the price  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 08:28:12 AM »

(that $6.07 a gallon stuff went fast) nixweiss

WOW

That's why the SEEG and Lowrider like that $3.29 Cam2 110.

shovelhead71

• Senior CVO Member
  • its a way of life
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 11:43:37 AM »

110 octane - from Witchita Falls Tx - did I tell ya HOW GOOD IT SMELLS - then ya have to mix it with 93 so ya don;t FRY the pistons outa the jugs - oh yeah really SMELLS GOOD - anyone want some 115 octane for real horse power junkies - this stuff even smells better

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 02:53:45 PM »

110 octane - from Witchita Falls Tx - did I tell ya HOW GOOD IT SMELLS - then ya have to mix it with 93 so ya don;t FRY the pistons outa the jugs - oh yeah really SMELLS GOOD - anyone want some 115 octane for real horse power junkies - this stuff even smells better

Why would it fry the pistons?

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 03:01:28 PM »

Jimp,

Those racing fuels burn at a much higher temperature then regular pump gas. The extreme heat generated can do some serious damage if you aren't careful.

I wouldn't think about running it in a street bike. Too much pain(damage potential $$$) for a short term gain(whoooosh! [smiley=laugh.gif]) if you know what I mean...........

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 03:34:52 PM »

Actually race gas slow's down the flame front in the combustion process, the engine is now running in a too-rich condition on lower compression stock motors which would mean cooler.
The bottom line is this: let's say your motor needs 93 octane to run correctly and you fill up with 115 octane wonder gas. You will not run any faster. In fact, you might end up running slower because of a radically slowed flame front.
You don't get any increase in the performance with racing fuel. Not a bit. Not any racing gas. Good racing fuel allows you to run your timing more radical, to extract more horsepower out of what you've got.
Race gas will absorb more heat and tends to cool the intake charge,  most is leaded above 100 octane. I would consider using the 100 octane unleaded Sunoco pump gas in my stock motored SEEG to make the motor run cooler in the summer.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 03:56:43 PM by jimp »

hd2003-se2005

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 04:15:22 PM »

[smiley=shocked2.gif] [smiley=shocked2.gif]

What a wide difference in opinions about race gas.
Especially in an oil consumption thread.

Keep em coming,,,, this is fun [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 04:17:01 PM by hd2003-se2005 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 04:24:57 PM »

then ya have to mix it with 93 so ya don;t FRY the pistons outa the jugs -

huh ?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 04:32:28 PM »

Good racing fuel allows you to run your timing more radical, to extract more horsepower out of what you've got.

Yes, but not completely.  More advanced timing without detonation and/or higher compression without detonation.

The end goal of the higher octane fuel is to allow reaching more demanding limits or ranges of operation (heat, compression, whatever) without suffering detonation in the cylinder while getting there.  But just like jimp wrote above, it's not gonna make your engine run hotter just because you've used the fuel.  

If the engine runs hotter with that fuel in the tank it's because you've done something else to the engine at the same time or because you're pushing it harder.  The fuel is actually helping you.

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 07:43:46 AM »

You gotta love this site!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=beerchug.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] We have Rocket scientists to Rednecks!!! [smiley=beerchug.gif]

I always thought the higher octane would get you drunk faster! [smiley=shocked2.gif]  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=drink.gif].....Guess that makes me a Redneck! [smiley=laugh.gif] I'll shut up now and grab my hogtune headset and go wack some weeds. See Ya!

JR [smiley=laugh.gif]

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 22 queries.