Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: oil leak on my fxr3 w/ 5600 miles  (Read 1413 times)

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

• CVO1: fxr4 screaming yellow
    • CVO2: fxr2 stone cold blue
oil leak on my fxr3 w/ 5600 miles
« on: October 17, 2007, 08:15:02 PM »

I'd like comments on what seal may be leaking on my fxr3.  Every time i ride over 50 miles or so I notice a drop of oil on my frame plus spray of oil on my kickstand and lower belt guard. the underside of my bike is clean and dry. Shifter linkage looks dry on inside of primary..so we think seal on inside of inner primary does not seem to be the problem. Kind of minor irritation, but still want to fix the problem. any ideas on where to proceed from here?  thanks for any opinions offered.  dave

BlueFXR3

Re: oil leak on my fxr3 w/ 5600 miles
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 06:47:28 PM »

Hi. I vaguely seem to recall having the exact same problem about two years ago and, if I remember correctly, I think it ended up being the rocker box.  Good luck.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 07:49:03 PM »

Dave,

Is it motor oil, or possibly trans lube?  Reason I ask is that transmission mainshaft seals and/or shift shaft seals will deposit oil in those same places you mentioned.  I've had both seals leak.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 07:10:44 PM »

Hello,

Once again was reading old threads and came upon this one....Here is a "thread" that references perhaps what the problem may have been going on here.....my symptoms were very similar it never ever looked like it could be coming from inside the primary because the "leaking" as well as visual evidence was coming further back on the belt guard at first I felt it had to also be coming from the rocker area as well....but eventually with enough careful looking what I found was:

I ended up having to go into my 1999 FXR2 to replace three inner primary seals/o~rings.  It was obvious looking back now here as I am writing this in 2008 that back in 2005 after first acquiring my bike that the seals simply were "dried" up in essence because the bike just wasn't being ridden, and probably while being kept in a garage by the previous owner was experiencing temperature changes seasonally as I purchased my bike from an owner in Gillette WY.

Here is the thread talking about how I dealt with these issues:

http://groups.msn.com/HarleyTechTalk/evo1340.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=681783&LastModified=4675526522536145886

It would be great to hear back from hdfxr3 to see what he actually discovered....

Regards,

FXR2evo99
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 07:13:49 PM by FXR2evo99 »

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.