Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fat front end  (Read 3821 times)

coaldigger

fat front end
« on: December 19, 2009, 09:53:21 PM »

i want to put a fat bob front end on my 2000 FXR4,or one like it. does anyone have the specs on the forks,etc. and what would this conversion take?

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Re: fat front end
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 08:22:44 PM »

Hi,
 I looked into it also.Harley was too expensive so I thoguht about the Ultima 117-13. Its a 49mm that has sliders for the late dual disk brake setup. It looks nice. I ended up spend the money on a new S&S V111 and custom S.S. 2 into 1 exhaust and a Barnnet Scorpian Clutch. May one day the new front end. They make aftremarket FatBob front fenders. I did away with all my research when I did the other upgrades. Sorry!
Ltank

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 09:19:57 AM »

I bought a set new chrome Fatbob FXDF lower legs # 48748-08 for $225. Hope to get all the other parts at. A good price. Decided to go standard Dyna Midglide. 08 lowers use a 25mm. Does anyone know the part number for the 19" front wheel on a FXDC? Has anyone put dual disk on a Midglige Dyna 49 km ?

Ltank

omgtkk

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 05:54:53 PM »

Coaldigger,  If you do make this switch I would be very interested in your stock fork legs.  PM me if they become available.  I want to do a 39mm upgrade to my '86 FXRD

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 09:34:41 PM »

I would like to see pics of all your bikes when there done  :2vrolijk_21:   Will look SWEET  ;)

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »

I ordered a set of Custom Cycle Engineering 49mm conversion triple trees today. Ordered via mail for personal reasons. I will post a pic when I get them.  A cusom axle will be made for my 3/4" stock 19" wheel. I did not want to buy a 450 dollar wheel, this is costing enough already. Should I get the stock FXD length fork tubes?
Does Harley make a seal kit for the 49mm front ends that would have most of the seals and wipers and clips etc.. part number???? Price??????
Triple Tree/Axle/Rotor Spacer plus extra Rotor Spacer ( 753 + 85 for extra rotor spacer) Got a good deal on chromes FXDF lower legs new (225) Peice by peice cost more but i can get it and sort of hide the cost from the wife.
Ltank

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 01:44:16 AM »

Slow down grasshopper......

Gawd with what you are building.....it's a rocket ship right ? ? ?  :orange:

You should consider a FXDX set up, with cartridges.....I have over the years seen many references to the quality of the FXDX Sport's front suspension:

The FXDX's handling received favorable reviews from our testers, so we were elated when we discovered the biggest changes to the Sport were directly related to its back-road manners. The front suspension was changed from a nonadjustable unit to a fully adjustable, cartridge-type 39mm fork similar to those found in sportbikes. The rider can easily adjust the fork's preload, compression and rebound damping to suit riding conditions or personal tastes. The twin gas-charged rear shock absorbers feature adjustable preload of the dual-rate springs and adjustments for compression damping. The rebound function is not alterable. Still, the upshot of these changes is that front and rear preload can be adjusted in a matter of seconds to accommodate a passenger or heavy luggage. Damping adjustments make it possible to tune the suspension from boulevard-soft to back-road firm as rider preference dictates.

ahhhh too bad you already ordered....

Regards,

Tim

Read more: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/2000_harley_davidson_fxdx_dyna_super_glide_sport/viewall.html#ixzz21EVFzMMN
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 05:05:23 PM by FXR2evo99 »

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 08:58:14 AM »

Tim,
 Do you know the part number and prices on the cartridges. for the 49mm front end? I have not bought the
fork springs yet. The dampers and seal ki can be resold. What fork tubes lengths are required? I have not found any reference to them prior to your mention of them.
Thanks
Ltamk

lucille

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 01:29:59 AM »

Canadian price.....
I priced out a FXDX fork setup complete (in parts)......it was the forks/trees, wheel, axle/spacers/bearings/etc., floating discs, calipers/lines, master cylinder, and fender. $3340.- CAN
The bolt-on forks were no longer available here.
Put together a vintage dual disc FXR front end.....not hi-tec, but works well.........much cheaper!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:31:51 AM by lucille »
'92 FXRS Lowrider.....
'91 FXRT.....113 S&S...6 speed

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 05:04:38 PM »

Tim,
 Do you know the part number and prices on the cartridges. for the 49mm front end? I have not bought the
fork springs yet. The dampers and seal ki can be resold. What fork tubes lengths are required? I have not found any reference to them prior to your mention of them.
Thanks
Ltamk

Ltank,

I am sorry my research never took me in the direction of a 49mm front fork situation so I am without a clue..... :nixweiss:

lucille, I always wondered what the cost of that FXDX-Sp front end would cost to accumulate the parts and make the transformation, where I got stopped with that decision in part was this point, once you commit to those forks then you commit next to a new speedo as well...because as we all know FXR4's use a electronic speedo to go with their 1" forks, so putting the FXDX-SP front forks and wheel on to my FXR2 would also require the speedo change, which means for me I don't like doing things that create confusion in another's mind, like ok so HOW MANY MILES are really on this bike i.e.: you changed the speedo and did you do it appropriately, little things like that sort of bug me...

Soooooooo I too went and did a front fork change.....and I have written about it as well, and was able to do so keeping my cable driven speedo involved in the process.....so my 1999 FXR2 has dual disc brakes, it was a fun and tedious project for sure.....all the little parts that had to be accomplished, I even realized through the modification that the entire time I was running my old speedo drive unit which should have been for a 21" wheel which my bike came with but I had already changed to a 19" which uses a different sized speedo drive unit.....but I got that addressed as well....I am running dual disc evo brakes with an 11/16" master brake cylinder.  Personally I like the dual disc brakes....funny thing about this project is that here I sat with a 19" spoked OEM HD single disc wheel....and now deciding to go with "dual" disc, I thought I needed to get another "Hub" that would accommodate a dual disc set up so I set out to find one, thought I found one only to discover it wasn't the right one.....so not wanting to purchase another $400.00 OEM HD 40 spoke "DUAL" DISC wheel what was I to do, the answer was always in front of me, I got the idea to go see a machinist and ask him if he could drill the 5 rotor holes on the other side, because as I began looking at the HUB I had purchased I noticed how much similar it was to my OEM SINGLE DISC HUB, and sure enough he could do it....and sure enough he did it perfectly.  $40.00 and I wouldn't had to take my laces apart either.....he could have put into his jig to drill press the holes while everything was in tact but I didn't know that, so I took him only my hub and he did the rest.  Funny thing though was when I went to relace my wheel back together I discovered that HD from the factory HAD not properly put the wheel together because they had 1 too many short spokes and 1 too few long spokes so it was never right to begin with....oh well, it's right now...and now I know how to lace a spoked wheel.  I took the wheel to a bicycle shop and for $25.00 they helped me true it together with their help.....so i learned about lacing and truing a wheel, which was a good experience. Our FXR2 and FXR3 Service manuals do not describe how to lace a 19" wheel, and how you lace a 19" wheel is different than a 21" wheel, believe me....they are different procedures....but going to any 2000 dyna which has a spoked wheel or to a 1993-1994 FXR service manual because there was a OEM 19" wheel application will show you how to properly install the laces to the hub.

Anyway it's the details of these projects I enjoy so much......so my 1999 FXR2 has a 19" spoked wheel and is a dual disc set up and I would never take the bike back to a 21" single disc.....

Regards,

Tim

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 05:10:31 PM »

Ltank,

I am not sure you would need to go all the way out to a 49MM fork set up for sure...but I would think the OEM HD FXR4 brakes and forks would handle your engine size at this point.....perhaps it's more of "style" desire for you...? ? ?  Or is it a "stopping" issue?

I am not a good source on trying to figure that out....going to a 49 MM set up....just doesn't appeal to me.....

I wish you well with that project however!!!

Regards,

Tim

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »

Hi Tim,
 The FXR4 uses the same brake calipers as the 49mm Dyna. I am able to use my front wheel with dual disk rotors and brake calipers from my bike. Same brakes just a Manly looking beefy front end. I think it will work fine, Hope so becuause it's costing alot of money! The rest of the bike is so awesome, I want it to look more awesome when parked.
I think there there is a difference of 3mm or 0.118" not enough to worry about. There is more than that amount on the rotors above where the pads wear. If push come to shove the rotors can be turned.
Ltank

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 06:44:14 PM »

:worthless:

So when do we see pictures of this beast? ? ?

Regards,

Tim

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 10:05:31 PM »

Well it should be done at the end of August. After that it will be small stuff. The front end is my last big dollar item. Small items kickstands, different handlebars, longer cables, brake hose change. The new bars
may not be before my trip. I will be paying for the mountain trip with my son and his bike 95" TC SOFTAIL.
Ltank

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.