Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: handlebars  (Read 1898 times)

coaldigger

handlebars
« on: January 24, 2010, 11:11:04 PM »

i have been wanting to change out the risers and handlebars. i just realized that the indicator light is in the top clamp. how does one handle this? any suggestions?

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
Re: handlebars
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 09:08:59 AM »

Hi,
 The top section of the riser clamps holds the indicators. The bolt pattern is the same as other risers used on narrow XL front ends used on FXR and Sportsters. Other risers for this type front end will work with the top half. If you used the top indicator you will have wires and two large plugs hanging from between the risers. You will probably need to unplug the top clamp use your new one and secure the other half of the connector out of site.
Ltank

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 02:55:40 PM »

Coaldigger, I did this change last year.  I used pullback risers and changed the bars.  You'll see how the wires will look and how I "fixed" that issue.  Please check this topic:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=34200.0;all

Any day on the bike is a good day.

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:59:32 AM »

Hi,
 The top section of the riser clamps holds the indicators. The bolt pattern is the same as other risers used on narrow XL front ends used on FXR and Sportsters. Other risers for this type front end will work with the top half. If you used the top indicator you will have wires and two large plugs hanging from between the risers. You will probably need to unplug the top clamp use your new one and secure the other half of the connector out of site.
Ltank

Mi amigo....

I saw the picture of your bike in other thread. I need to change the bars on my FXR4 as well. Did you install the new bars (56085-83T) and nothing else? no change to the clamp?

Thanks for your advise.

Jorge

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 03:13:55 PM »

Mi amigo....

I saw the picture of your bike in other thread. I need to change the bars on my FXR4 as well. Did you install the new bars (56085-83T) and nothing else? no change to the clamp?

Thanks for your advise.

Jorge
I changed to 4.5" pullback risers, top clamp is the original.  I dressed up the exposed indicator light wires.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 06:03:57 PM »

Mi amigo....

Thanks for your advise.

Jorge

I changed the handle bars on my bike and kept the stock risers and clamp.
I put 2002 wide glide bars on my bike .... some peeps call them mini apes
I had to change all the cables, but that gave me reason to go all chrome braided lines .... so I changed the throttle, clutch and brake lines at that time

no problem using the stock risers and clamp

as Skreimeagle said, he changed the risers, and kept the stock top clamp with the indicators in it, no problem

matter of fact, I have the same risers he has, but have not installed them yet, but will soon
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.