Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: HOW MANY FXR2 & FXR3 & FXR4 OWNERS HAVE GONE AWAY FROM MID CONTROLS:  (Read 10636 times)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE

So I am curious....how many of you guys/gals have ventured into forward controls with your FXR's?

Do you like them?  Why did you do it? 

Regards,

Tim

Trimster

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 99 FXR2
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE

Will be watching this thread, been considering doing just that.
Al

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4

No me, not now, and not ever.  IMHO forwards just screw up the handling.  Not to mention the need to be a contortionist if you had them on a -4.   Most FXR's have highways right where the forwards would be, so any time you need to stretch out, you can.  Personally, I like the mids and buckhorns that most of them started life with.

curmudgeon

Been just "listening" and learning for a couple of years now, but I gotta comment on this one. I went to fwd ctrls mainly for safety. I like my feet in the fwd position on the hwy pegs but don't like to have to take the time time to switch positions in a crisis. I agree with the FXR4 "contortionist" comment but I felt that way even with mid controls. Highway pegs were not comfortable because of the position the drag bars put me in. I always had a stiff neck from leaning forward and having to "look up" to see the road way ahead. I took the drag bars off my FXR4 and went to buckhorns and then to fwd controls.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO

I love the mid controls. Use them 95% of the time. They offer Great control. Easy to stand on if desired.  Will never get rid of them.
Ltank

catd7g

I love the mid controls. Use them 95% of the time. They offer Great control. Easy to stand on if desired.  Will never get rid of them.

x2

93fxrsc

If I were to go away from mids, I'd want to try the FXRP floorboards on my '93 Lowrider Convertible, and then move the seat position forward and up an inch in each direction, rather than increasing the pull back to correct the rider stance. But frankly, these bikes were made for spirited riding, not for sitting back like you're in a lounge chair!!  So sit up straight, twist the throttle, and when the time comes, hang off the side of that seat and lean baby lean.

(As an related aside, I see a lot of short shocks on the FXRs here. I've got 13.5" shocks and want to go to 14+ to get some more canyon carving lean angle because this bike is a blast to ride, and I've dragged a peg all too often, and the exhaust support rod that hangs off the mufflers.)

Carry on.
-Steve

TLS105

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 1999 Blue Flame FXR3

So sit up straight, twist the throttle, and when the time comes, hang off the side of that seat and lean baby lean.

-Steve

I think we may have just found our motto ladies and gentlemen. I like it a lot.

Tom

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

x2

When I looked at your bike....I said to myself quickly now there is something different about this FXR3, and then I realized you put on a different front end....perhaps a "wide glide" front end or perhaps something entirely outside of the realm of a "wide glide" front end?

Regards,

Tim

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member

"...If I were to go away from mids, I'd want to try the FXRP floorboards on my '93 Lowrider Convertible..."
-Steve

Steve,

great news, you of course would only loose the two foot pegs at the mid range replaced by a "roomier" floor board on each side which provides much more foot movement.....I just finished putting the FXRP/FXRT floor boards and hardware on my 1999 FXR2, last summer.....and I just found out a few weeks ago...that I can ALSO use the OEM rear brake pedal instead of changing the "linkage' and set up to the FXRP rear brake pedal.  So another "modification" is getting ready to be accomplished which is to remove the OEM FXRP/FXRT rear brake pedal and to go back to the OEM rear brake pedal....which allows the highway peg on the right side to become accessible again.....in order to fully grasp what I am saying you have to study the actual installation of the FXRP/FXRT hardware to grasp more easily what I am attempting to explain.

I asked my initial question for other purposes....personally I have had forward controls on a 2003 Dyna Low Rider after owning the bike for about 3-4 months so I knew what it was to have mid range controls on that vintage of a bike and so I was like....ok....the forward controls really actually confuse one's mind....because in the canyons as was stated by you Steve above, that when in the canyons you simply ride differently than you do going down some country road between corn fields.....one requires more leverage and turing and shifting....verses a much more casual riding experience going in straight lines for miles and miles....

So on the FXR2 I have never veered away from mid range controls for forward controls....but regardless has anyone else done it.....

Regards,

Tim

FXRbob

Re: HOW MANY FXR2 & FXR3 & FXR4 OWNERS HAVE GONE AWAY FROM MID CONTROLS:
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 11:15:22 PM »

For sale harley davidson 1999 3,500mi 900cc

Harley Davidson fxr2 limited edition with 3,500 miles, in mint condition. Only 900 of these motorcycles were built in 1999 and this one has everything detachable windshield with case, mid glide chrome front end, 21 inch spoke front wheel, custom street pipes, Dyna 2000 I ignition, hyper charger. factory customized. No scratches and never dropped. Serious calls only....

My new FXR was delivered on Friday.  Came with these big gaudy Accutronix forward controls.  Can't wait to take them off.  I was able to find NOS parts to return back to stock.  Including XL front end and air cleaner.  I was lucky enough to find the air cleaner insert(the FXR2 label on the front) new in the package.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:52:34 PM by FXRbob »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 11:32:54 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

A wonderful condition....

NOW RIDE IT!!!!

:pepper: :2

vrolijk_21:

Regards,

Tim

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 09:06:45 AM »

Ltank

I was wondering what you use the other 5% of the time  ???
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 09:12:20 AM »

When I looked at your bike....I said to myself quickly now there is something different about this FXR3, and then I realized you put on a different front end....perhaps a "wide glide" front end or perhaps something entirely outside of the realm of a "wide glide" front end?

Regards,

Tim

I don't know if it's a wide glide, can't see it that well .... but it does have inverted front forks on it ... I've always wanted those on my bike ...... hummmmmm
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 09:15:25 AM »

So I am curious....how many of you guys/gals have ventured into forward controls with your FXR's?

Do you like them?  Why did you do it? 

Regards,

Tim

not me .... I'm quite happy with the mid controls

however when I ride to CO from SC a road glide would be REAL NICE TO HAVE  !!!     :D
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 21 queries.