Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: leaking oil after just 3000 miles  (Read 2578 times)

Never_better

leaking oil after just 3000 miles
« on: February 06, 2008, 10:23:27 AM »

I recently bought a SE Road King on looks and performance, OK, mostly looks. Then I started researching the CVO 110 motor, mostly on this site. I was horrified by the thought of this model being subject to gasket leaks and a variety of other mechanical problems. I wrote HD and was told that they would take care of any problems that arose. Well, my engine is laying on the floor in pieces of the local HD dealer due to a oil leak in the seal joining the crank case. With just 7 months left on the factory warranty, I've lost all confidence in this bike and HD's CVO brand.

Good Luck CVO riders!!!! you going to need it.

Never_better

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: leaking oil after just 3000 miles
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 10:29:45 AM »

I recently bought a SE Road King on looks and performance, OK, mostly looks. Then I started researching the CVO 110 motor, mostly on this site. I was horrified by the thought of this model being subject to gasket leaks and a variety of other mechanical problems. I wrote HD and was told that they would take care of any problems that arose. Well, my engine is laying on the floor in pieces of the local HD dealer due to a oil leak in the seal joining the crank case. With just 7 months left on the factory warranty, I've lost all confidence in this bike and HD's CVO brand.

Never_better

That's a new one on me. Is this the split line of the case, or the tranny interface? Neither of these are CVO specific as these are the same pieces used on all 2007 and 2008 big twins. It will be interesting to hear what they find to be the problem. I'm sure this one will be an easy fix for you.

Don't lose hope. :2vrolijk_21:

:indian_chief:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 08:12:44 PM »

Never_better

Are you talking about where the Cylinder meets the cases?   :nixweiss: 

If you are, the lead likely started at the head gasket, leaked oil into the cylinder stud hole...then leaked out at the base joint...

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 10:10:01 PM »

Feel your pain Bro'!!!

I'm on my third go-round (after 27k miles) and sure as sh*t wish the MC would get their act together on this.

I can GAR-AN-TEE that I will be taking it back every time I get a new leak until my warranty runs out 9/2/08.   After that, I will cancel my extended warranty and I'll take it to GMR and get it fixed for good (the refund will pretty much pay for getting up to snuff).

Keep the faith,

Mark

Never_better

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 05:06:25 PM »

I was told it was a case of the "sealant" between the to half's didn't seal properly. I asked about the charge to (out of warranty) fix this ..... $1200, mostly labor. I said that's nice with just 7 months of warranty left and only 3000 miles. He said I could purchase an extended warranty. Again, how nice that I should have to pre pay for what appears to be inevitable .... another leak, maybe a head gasket or something. Maybe I should sell this bike and buy a rice burner for less than half the price ....

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 05:11:31 PM »

I was told it was a case of the "sealant" between the to half's didn't seal properly. I asked about the charge to (out of warranty) fix this ..... $1200, mostly labor. I said that's nice with just 7 months of warranty left and only 3000 miles. He said I could purchase an extended warranty. Again, how nice that I should have to pre pay for what appears to be inevitable .... another leak, maybe a head gasket or something. Maybe I should sell this bike and buy a rice burner for less than half the price ....

Well, you can feel a bit better because leaking case halves is not a normal leak. You just got a bad seal. It sounds like you'll get that taken care of under warranty and you'll be good to go.

As far as a head gasket leak, well, the jury is still out on that. It is true that the baggers see this earlier than the lighter bikes. Unfortunately, if you don't put on many miles/year, you may very well not experience the failure until you are out of the base warranty period.

Hopefully they'll get you going back in quick fashion and you'll have a good year of riding this year.  :)

:indian_chief:

shadygrady

• CVO1: '07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 12:51:08 AM »

Just wanted to chime in and say I've been to the dealer twice so far for this same leak. First time I was told it was a tappet gasket which they replaced. Rode the bike about 100mi. and noticed the leak again. Dropped the bike off at the dealer and followed up the next day. Mechanic showed me that the leak was coming from where the two engine casts come together. He said he had never seen it before and almost missed it. Bike was resealed two days later and was test driven 50mi. by the tech. I have not ridden the bike since getting it back but am planning a good putt tomorrow. Hopefully no more leaks. Only 6 months left on the warranty so cross my fingers. I will post if I have any more leaks.

Never_better

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 04:40:08 AM »

the one good thing that came from the leak is ..... when they put the bike back together, they did so with all the upgraded seals and gaskets. i feel very confident that the bike will not have this problem again. to add to my confidence, i purchased another 3 yrs of extended service for about $1000. the plan is bumper to bumper with hotel room, free rental while in the shop, etc. best wishes for your repair, ride safely.

dennis

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 25 queries.