Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What Dyno Results Can Be Expected - RESULTS ARE IN  (Read 3663 times)

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE - 2018 FLHTKSE-ANV (Traded)
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE (Traded) - 2007 FXSTSSE (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2003 100th FLHRCi (Sold) - 2001 FLSTF (Traded)
    • 33 Hotrod Build
What Dyno Results Can Be Expected - RESULTS ARE IN
« on: June 11, 2010, 02:42:36 PM »

I'm having the bike performance tuned next week at American Harley Davidson in North Tonawanda. (my local dealer here in Canada does not have a Dyno.) I have no real engine mods, just the basics, V-H Dresser Duals, Klockwerks Revolver SO's, Heavy Breather and SEPST.  

I'm hoping to get near 90 HP and to keep it over 100 lb-ft torque (true duals will hurt me here). Am i in the ball park?  :nixweiss: What are you guys spec'ing out at?

I'd like to get an idea before I go so that I can tell if i should be happy when they give me my results ::). I don't want to have foolish expectations.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 11:09:56 AM by HDNIK »
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: What Dyno Results Can Be Expected
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 03:07:52 PM »

Our bikes already come stock with a high flow air cleaner.  Exhaust alone is not going to do a whole lot performance wise.  More than performance, the biggest thing you'll notice with a dyno tune is that it runs cooler in hot weather.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

LFMC Pharaoh

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Candy Concord CVO Street Glide "Blue Thunder"
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 03:08:28 PM »

I put V&H Power Duals head pipes with Rinehart slip on mufflers and a Screamin Eagle Race Tuner on mine.  Dealer didn't give me a before Dyno but the after tune was 95 HP and 107 Torque.  Very happy with it.
2010 Candy Concord CVO Street Glide
Klock Werks 8.5" Dark Smoke Windshield
PYO 10" Monkey Bars
Vance & Hines Power Duals
Rinehart Slip On Mufflers
Screamin Eagle Race Tuner
7.25" J&M Speakers w/Amp
HD Center Stand
HD Chopped Tour Pak
RAM Mount w/Ipod MP3 Player
RAM Mount w/Garmin Zumo 550 GPS

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 03:17:53 PM »

HDNIK,

I would expect your 110 to make somewhere around 105-110 tq and 88-95 horsepower.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 03:37:01 PM »

Thanks UNBALANCE

I see you are a mopar fan... Glad to see it! I own a small Chrysler Dealership here in Canada.
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 03:40:14 PM »

Here's my dyno chart. I strongly suggest two things:
Find a tuner with a dyno so that you can really set the air/fuel ratio (AFR) to proper specs and send the header to fullsac to have the cat removed. You'll run cooler and stronger with these two additions to your plan.

This dyno chart is for my SESG with 2.0" fullsac baffles and the cat removed. Pro SERT and dyno tune. No other changes. I couldn't be happier.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 04:38:08 PM »

Michaelbmenaker,

Nice looking dyno, definitely right there in the ballpark for the numbers.  I have to agree only I used and would use the TTS for tuning.  

My 09 had the catless header, RoadGlide Air Cleaner, and Fullsac 2.0 baffles.   Bike ran fantastic.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 04:41:21 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

dkflhxse

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 07:33:44 PM »

Installed '09 catless headers, SERT, and V&H High Outputs and finished with a dyno tune.  Results are 97 HP and 113+ lb/ft torque.  Bike runs strong, great throttle response, and sounds great.  Not the cheapest way to go but very happy with it all the way around.   :2vrolijk_21:

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 11:41:02 PM »

Our bikes already come stock with a high flow air cleaner. 

Yeah ... but the Ventilator isn't regarded as a very good one. I would do the SE Heavy Breather, The Kury High-Five, the Vance and Hines Vo2, or the Arlen Ness Big Sucker (depending on style). Vance and Hine got 5hp and 4lbs/ft of torque with their Vo2 on a 2010 CVO Ventilator swap (stock exhaust and ECM).

Dyno here:
http://www.vanceandhines.com/products/air-duke/dyno.jpg

Heard good things about the SE Heavy Breather as well.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 07:53:53 PM »

Guys Guys Guys... I appreciate all the suggestions but as i said in the opener, I already have a heavy breather, SE Pro Super tuner, V-H Dresser True Duals and 4" KlockWerks Resolver Platinum Series Slip Ons.

Like the old saying, I'm as committed to my setup as a pig is to breakfast (The whole joke is that a chicken is merely a participant to breakfast... where as the pig is in it all the way!!  :P

My question was based on the fact that when I go to get it Dyno'd I wanted to have an idea of where (if the technician is any good at tuning) the numbers might come in so I can know whether to be critical of his tuning skills or be happy with the results.

Any true Dyno numbers or best knowledge from experience you all have would be appreciated.

PS many thanks to all of you who have shared your numbers with me... I'd be totally satisfied with similar stats.
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 09:10:53 AM »

Yeah ... but the Ventilator isn't regarded as a very good one. I would do the SE Heavy Breather, The Kury High-Five, the Vance and Hines Vo2, or the Arlen Ness Big Sucker (depending on style). Vance and Hine got 5hp and 4lbs/ft of torque with their Vo2 on a 2010 CVO Ventilator swap (stock exhaust and ECM).

Dyno here:
http://www.vanceandhines.com/products/air-duke/dyno.jpg

Heard good things about the SE Heavy Breather as well.

I haven't heard (or read) that.  Where are you getting that information?  I mean I know that each manufacturer claims to have the best,biggest, fastest, etc. but do you know of any research across the board on various A/C's?

Not taking anything from your efforts but I'd say that dyno sheet is an example of needing a tuner that really knows how to tune.  All those dips should be tuned out of there. I'm curious, based on the roller coaster graph, what the A/F numbers are?

Not the best numbers but certainly a good tune, here's mine (with the ventalator).......    
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 09:35:49 AM »

Right ... everybody ALWAYS has the best  ;)

Note that the V&H dyno left everything stock (so the graph states) so the numbers they got was simply the swap of the breather - if, of course, you can believe them. That is why it is meaningful - tuning did not come into play as far as I know, just swapping breathers and showing results. The same dips (relatively) were there on a completely stock CVO 110 with Ventilator. Haven't seen any other direct comparison dyno pulls from any other manufacturer (and I've looked)

I talked with 2 tuners here in the midwest and both recommended another breather from the Ventilator - each one independently saying that it's not as good as others available. Interestingly enough, both also recommended the SE Heavy Breather as their top pick. The point being (I suppose) is that anything that can be tuned with the Ventilator, could be done with better results using a more free-flow breather such as the ones listed above.

TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 10:50:37 AM »

I haven't heard (or read) that.  Where are you getting that information?  I mean I know that each manufacturer claims to have the best,biggest, fastest, etc. but do you know of any research across the board on various A/C's?

Not taking anything from your efforts but I'd say that dyno sheet is an example of needing a tuner that really knows how to tune.  All those dips should be tuned out of there. I'm curious, based on the roller coaster graph, what the A/F numbers are?

Not the best numbers but certainly a good tune, here's mine (with the ventalator).......    

We DID do a comparison on the dyno with the SE air cleaner installed and also with the cover and element removed. Saw a 2HP gain. I'm going to upgrade the A/C!
 :2vrolijk_21:
As for numbers for any particular build, you can get pretty close on what to expect by checking local tunes with similar equipment. Close, that is.
JMHO
HOGMIKE

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
Re: What Dyno Results Can Be Expected - RESULTS IN
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 11:09:14 AM »

Well they aren't JCZ's numbers but I'm very satisfied. I don't have a stock base line as the mods were done before it was dyno'd; but naturally we have a base line with mods before tuning.

At installation of the Heavy Breather/V-H true duals/Klockwerks the 110CVO-Heavy Breather-Race Exhaust map from Harley was uploaded with the SEPST. I knew it was a generic modified map, but had no idea how LEAN it was. Look at the Dyno... it hovered between 14.5 and 15.5 to 1 AFR. Cylinder Temps in the dyno room were a high of 296F front and 321F rear... using a laser heat thermometer gun. Also notice how bumpy the curves are! All of that was noticeable in the grip under hard acceleration.

After tuning temps dropped to 238 front and 259 rear. Over all a 10% increase in HP/Torque to 91.11/111.31... simply by tuning; and as you can see a considerablely smoother curve. Also torque curve starts peaking in down around 2800 - 3000 rmp rather than at 4000 rpm... far more useable I think. Decel pop is gone, throttle response is so much better...no lag or lumpiness at all...and I may be crazy but I think it sounds better too :huepfenjump3:

I highly recommend a dyno tune if you do any mods. I'm a believer. For 190 bucks and 3 hours of your life, it's well worth the investment. Imagine if there was one part you could buy for $190 bucks that would give you that noticeable of an improvement... they wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelf!!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 11:22:07 AM by HDNIK »
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.