Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Twin Cool or Not  (Read 4081 times)

Pan1

• Full CVO Member
Twin Cool or Not
« on: August 21, 2018, 10:29:57 PM »

Does anyone know the reason some of the M-8 bikes have twin cool and some do not. I have a 2015 CVO twin cam with twin cool and think it works very ( that is when the water pump is not craped out). Even some of the new CVO's do not
 have it. My local dealership told me the reasoning is front tire diameter and lower fitment but it doesn't make sense the factory would build some with it some without.

I have been thinking of trading for new bike but the RG model I am looking at does not have twin cooled.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Twin Cool or Not
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 01:54:49 AM »

Only a guess:  Oil cooling keeps the visuals clean; no lower fairings needed.  Also, in the past (most years), only the models with stock Tour-Pak came with lowers.

When compared to twin-cooled, the oil-cooled bikes reduce weight and complexity.  That saves HD money on assembly line.  It saves consumers money on maintenance, too, although we know HD doesn't care about us, lol.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 08:12:39 AM »

Twin Cooled is more complex and more expensive than oil cooled.  I'd love to see some third party testing to see which system is most effective at keeping head temps in a tightly controlled range, but so far I haven't seen anything.  I'm pretty sure Twin Cooled would be a clear winner.  Btw, if you wind up buying one of the oil cooled models, I highly recommend you add the oil cooler fan if it doesn't come standard.  It should have been standard from the beginning, but as we all know it wasn't.  Oil coolers don't do much for you in stop and go traffic or plodding along at low speeds.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Pan1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 02:47:13 PM »

Thank you for the resposes. I had theory the M-8 had more valve seat area to carry heat to the heads and the twin cooling wasn t needed but since they make both depending on model it doesn’t make sence.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 02:56:27 PM »

The only twin cooled bikes appear to be the Ultras and the CVO Street Glide. All have lower fairings required for the radiators. Heavier bikes... greater engine load... more heat.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Gandrtravis

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

• CVO1: 2008 cvo dyna inferno red and desert black sold
    • CVO2: 2014 cvo road king tribal orange and galactic black traded
    • CVO3: 2018 cvo road glide gunship grey
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 10:47:41 AM »

The only twin cooled bikes appear to be the Ultras and the CVO Street Glide. All have lower fairings required for the radiators. Heavier bikes... greater engine load... more heat.
The 18-19 street glides are not twin cooled just oil cooled they claim they don’t need them because the new bikes run cooler.

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 10:56:52 AM »

The whole concept of adding coolant to a Harley v-twin, this hybrid air/water cooled engine, is just bizarre (not to mention unreliable).  Either go all in on water cooling (V Rod) or keep it off.  Just seems like an afterthought.

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 11:21:57 AM »

The 18-19 street glides are not twin cooled just oil cooled they claim they don’t need them because the new bikes run cooler.

The 2019 CVO Street Glide is Twin Cooled according to the HD Site. It has lowers for certain, and what looks to be a water pump cover instead of the oil cooler. Could be a misprint as that has happened before......
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 11:41:18 AM »

I see that the 2018`s were not twin cooled. But the Harley website lists the new, 2019 CVO Street Glide as being twin cooled. I have not seen one yet.

Via Tapatalk

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 12:14:26 PM »

The specs page does not call the 2019 SESG Twin Cooled, and the photo from the site I've cropped and attached to this post clearly shows the oil cooler of an oil cooled model.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrarider123

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 12:16:31 PM »

I see that the 2018`s were not twin cooled. But the Harley website lists the new, 2019 CVO Street Glide as being twin cooled. I have not seen one yet.

Via Tapatalk

Unless they have completely redesigned the radiators/fans/plumbing and have them vented different, I don't see any evidence of twin cooling on the '19 CVO Street Glide.  There are speakers in the lowers on the SG, however.  The '19 CVO Road Glide doesn't have lowers.  There is the old, familiar venting on the CVO Limited so twin cooling there for sure.

Don't know what's going on there, Greg.

SHRADER

• 1K CVO Member
    • WV

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Betsy
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE6 Orange Crush
    • CVO3: 1947 Indian Chief Nanner Puddin HBRR Fastest Side Valve
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 12:49:01 PM »

Me too neither but seeing the area grc blew up it does look like a cooler to these tired eyes..

I was going by what is clearly listed right below that picture on their site...

Heck Harley don't even know what it is....                                                       
2014 SERK Orange Crush-Fullsac cores and screens, Decatted Headpipe, TTS Mastertune, Kury 24D, Custom Dynamic Signals, Memphis Fairing, HBRR 117R 123HP/137TQ
2004 SEEG  Huckleberry- 113 HP/115 TQ

Charter Member and National Vice President Hillbilly Rocket Riders
Charter Member and National President CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
National President and Founder of WRENCH We Ride Everywhere Nomatter Cold or Hot
Zen Master of Pondering

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 01:47:35 PM »

Looking at the pics, if they are twin cooled (wet heads) there is no side vent from the lower fairings to by the speakers to allow air flow over a radiator.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

Mickle

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 Gold Rush CVO FLHTKSE, sold.
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Anniversary FLHTKSE
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 06:42:24 PM »

No vents in this one.

Pan1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 08:00:47 PM »

Is oil routed through passages around the exhuast valves luke the coolent is on wet heads?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 24 queries.