Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Overheating Question  (Read 1255 times)

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
Overheating Question
« on: August 24, 2009, 10:50:31 AM »

Went for a short ride up to Berryessa with a couple friends, all on baggers, yesterday. As we merge on 505 off I-80 one of the guys (Mike) signals he is pulling off at next off ramp. He pulls off the road and he is off his bike in seconds. Turns out his bike overheated. He rides a 2008 96" Ultra Classic with stage 2 mods. One of the guys in the group sticks his oil temp gauge in his oil hole and measures 355 degrees...WOW !!  We let it cool off check everything, no leaks oil level was good, nothing obvious that would indicate a reason for the overheat. After a half hour we decide to ride into Winters and see how things are going, We get to Winters, everything fine, temps running 225. We decided to push on. After spending a good day in Berryessa and no more mishaps with Mikes bike we head back. Within a few miles of merging on I-80 Mike is pulling off the freeway again. Same thing, hotter then a pistol, no leaks, nada, just a hot bike (300 degrees). We let her cool down and were off again, bike runs cool and normal for the rest of our ride. He gets home, changes oil checks everything and nothing, but notices a little bit of oil up in the Air cleaner, I run over to his house to check it out, and the oil accumulation is not that bad, i've seen a lot worse on hard ridden Harley's,  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: Anyone have any ideas whats going on here? His bikes runs great, no noises or anything to indicate a problem. I have never seen or heard of this overheat problem. We are all baffled, anyone out there have any ideas?? :confused5: :confused5:

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
Re: Overheating Question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 11:52:21 AM »

Went for a short ride up to Berryessa with a couple friends, all on baggers, yesterday. As we merge on 505 off I-80 one of the guys (Mike) signals he is pulling off at next off ramp. He pulls off the road and he is off his bike in seconds. Turns out his bike overheated. He rides a 2008 96" Ultra Classic with stage 2 mods. One of the guys in the group sticks his oil temp gauge in his oil hole and measures 355 degrees...WOW !!  We let it cool off check everything, no leaks oil level was good, nothing obvious that would indicate a reason for the overheat. After a half hour we decide to ride into Winters and see how things are going, We get to Winters, everything fine, temps running 225. We decided to push on. After spending a good day in Berryessa and no more mishaps with Mikes bike we head back. Within a few miles of merging on I-80 Mike is pulling off the freeway again. Same thing, hotter then a pistol, no leaks, nada, just a hot bike (300 degrees). We let her cool down and were off again, bike runs cool and normal for the rest of our ride. He gets home, changes oil checks everything and nothing, but notices a little bit of oil up in the Air cleaner, I run over to his house to check it out, and the oil accumulation is not that bad, i've seen a lot worse on hard ridden Harley's,  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: Anyone have any ideas whats going on here? His bikes runs great, no noises or anything to indicate a problem. I have never seen or heard of this overheat problem. We are all baffled, anyone out there have any ideas?? :confused5: :confused5:

What was the outside temp ?

Were you stuck in traffice on merging?

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »

What was the outside temp ?

Were you stuck in traffic on merging?

Marty

Yesterday was beautiful 95 degrees. No traffic, we were on the freeways. He called the service manager at home today, his dealer is closed today. The service manager told him this morning either a bad oil pump or something about a oil bypass spring being bad?? Since oil was up in the air cleaner he is leaning more towards the bad spring :nixweiss: He is under warranty so no problems getting this fixed. Now i am really curious, what spring is he refereeing too?  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 02:52:21 PM »

Most likely the spring in the oil pump...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 12:33:47 AM »

The spring is actually the pump bypass spring in the camplate. This spring keeps pressure on a piston in the plate that allows excess oil pressure to bleed off. When the piston sticks open the oil pressure can be low which will affect cooling and also oil flow through the engine.

How was the oil pressure? If it was good I doubt it is an issue with the bypass spring, bypass piston, or oil pump.

What mods (stage 2 can mean a lot of different things) are done to the AC, Tuner, engine, or exhaust?

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 09:56:29 AM »

The spring is actually the pump bypass spring in the camplate. This spring keeps pressure on a piston in the plate that allows excess oil pressure to bleed off. When the piston sticks open the oil pressure can be low which will affect cooling and also oil flow through the engine.

How was the oil pressure? If it was good I doubt it is an issue with the bypass spring, bypass piston, or oil pump.

What mods (stage 2 can mean a lot of different things) are done to the AC, Tuner, engine, or exhaust?

I forgot to mention his oil pressure did drop as the engine heated up. He said it got as low as 15 lbs when he pulled off the road. He did a cam, intake, exhaust and heads when he bought the bike new and has around 3K trouble free miles. He is taking bike into the shop tonight. I'm wondering if the lower crank bearings can survive that kind of heat in short durations, much less the pistons and barrels.  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 05:28:52 PM »

I forgot to mention his oil pressure did drop as the engine heated up. He said it got as low as 15 lbs when he pulled off the road. He did a cam, intake, exhaust and heads when he bought the bike new and has around 3K trouble free miles. He is taking bike into the shop tonight. I'm wondering if the lower crank bearings can survive that kind of heat in short durations, much less the pistons and barrels.  :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

idling on a hot day in traffic, it goes very low, 10 or so.  I've seen it on most bikes, even a stock 88"
Any day on the bike is a good day.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 11:16:33 PM »

They found broken oil pump gear, still half ass working' can you belive that?  :nixweiss: They haven't decided what the complete fix will be until further inspection of motor. What,, is that another part made in China ?/ 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:18:42 PM by sportygordy »

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 11:30:06 PM »

I would be asking for a complete motor since pieces had to go throughout this one.  Even if nothing else is broken today, who knows how much the debris will shorten the life. 
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 11:48:06 PM »

Probably common knowledge, but isn't a crank with excessive runout a prime cause of oil pump failure in '07 forward motors?  I think Dewey made reference to this in an earlier thread about the SE cam plate.  Or maybe I just thought he did - I'm old, who knows!

Bill

2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 25 queries.