Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wow do the pipes make a difference  (Read 1389 times)

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
Wow do the pipes make a difference
« on: July 11, 2013, 02:34:20 AM »

so, to finish off the exhaust help thread, I did got to the dealer to buy new gaskets. I wanted to pull the old ones out and see if the pipes would go into the head. No one, and I repeat no one at the dealership said anything other than just install them. When I bought the original gaskets I asked if there were any others and the guy at the counter mentioned the Screamin Eagle gaskets which are flat and go into the hole in the head. I bought them to see if they would work. Just as I said the original gaskets were actually smaller than the diameter of the pipe  so I tried the SE gaskets which worked  great. I had the pipes installed in about 30 minutes.

Freakin wow. The bike sounds great and I can feel the difference in HP and Torque. It will rap to 4500- 5000 RPMs now without losing power and it feels WAY quicker. Oh, did I say it sounded awesome? I havnt even had it tuned yet. I bought the HD race tuner but they cant get me in till next week.

I cant believe a set of exhaust pipes can make that much difference    :cucumber: :pepper: :pineapple: :jalapeno: :apple: :orange: :mango: :bananarock: :orange:

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
Re: Wow do the pipes make a difference
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 08:13:47 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:   Good News   :2vrolijk_21:

clubhes

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Breakout, Hard Candy Gold Dust / Liquid Sun
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 03:14:35 PM »

Glad to hear you got the pipes installed and you are happy with them. ...Congrats.

I can't wait until mine arrive.

ldireprophil

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom Maple Metallic
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 04:08:18 PM »

From the look of all that dancing fruit, looks like your happy with the outcome indeed  :huepfenpinkie: :1syellow1: :vrolijk_12: :vrolijk_19: :Vrolijk_8: :vrolijk_3: :dier_21: :xyxthumbs: :2vrolijk_09: :vrolijk_10: :multi: :6: :sunny: :drummer: :smilie_staub: :vrolijk_19: :vrolijk_26:
2012 CVO RGC / Renegade Lincoln Phantom 21-17 / RWD Fender / -2 Front -1 Rear / Bad Dad Side Covers / Andrews 54H Cams / HQ Black Ops Lifters / Heavy Breather / Cometic .030 HG / Barnett +1 Clutch / Aim 480lb Spring / ClutchWiz / Hayden M6 / D&D Fat Cat 2-1 w/UPB & Ghost Pipe / TTS MasterTune 2 / Wizard's Tune / Alpine CDE-HD149BT Head Unit / Alpine PDX-M6 Amp / Hertz HCX 690 / Hertz HSK 165 XL / Biketronics Module / Cycles Sounds Lids / Misc Little Things

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 04:31:23 PM »

Dude, I hated the sound of the bike with the stock pipes and it was slow. I cant see that just changing the exhaust could make that much difference in performance either but it seems to. I thought the bike was slow before but it seems a good bit faster now it doesn't seem to run out of steam at 4000 RPMs like it did before.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 07:06:39 PM »

I wouldn't ride it with the new pipes until you have had it retuned. The stock calibration is likely going to be far too lean for your less restrictive pipes, and they will start to blue before long with that condition. Your engine may be pinging, too. I would hate to see you damage your pipes - or worse, your engine - by running the stock calibration with your new pipes!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 07:54:14 PM »

I wouldn't ride it with the new pipes until you have had it retuned. The stock calibration is likely going to be far too lean for your less restrictive pipes, and they will start to blue before long with that condition. Your engine may be pinging, too. I would hate to see you damage your pipes - or worse, your engine - by running the stock calibration with your new pipes!

Ken

+1
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 08:21:57 PM »

X2 on the retune!

2013CVOBreakout

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 09:04:51 PM »

Aaaaaaaw, they cant get me in till next Friday.   

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 05:14:39 PM »

Exhaust gaskets are cheap enough, re-install the stock exhaust - ride all weekend/week and then Thursday night put you new pipes on before bringing it in for the tune.

That beats wrecking the engine because of the lean condition that exists without the re-tune.
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 22 queries.