Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Hot Legs (leg!)  (Read 3278 times)

mayor

• Full CVO Member
  • just another fictional internet politician
Re: Hot Legs (leg!)
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 04:58:54 PM »

I think with a late model Harley with closed loop engine management you would be better served with one of the flash tuners that is used to reprogram the stock ECM, as opposed to any of the add-on or piggyback devices like the older Power Commanders or especially the boxes like the Fuel Pak.  Some choices over here are the TTS MasterTune, the SEPST (Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner) from Harley, the Power Vision from the Power Commander folks, etc.  I'm not sure what is readily available in the UK.  And of course the first thing would be to find a fully competent person to do the tuning, then ask him which tuning package he prefers to use.  If the UK is anything like the US, finding the fully competent person to do the tuning will be the toughest part of the entire undertaking.
great advice, couldn't agree more with all of that.  About the only other flash tuner option that was missed that is along the same lines as the one's mentioned is the Direct Link system.  It's starting to gain some popularity, and I think there are some tuners in the UK using that system (including the one linked below). 

here's a tuner in the UK that I think would be worth a talk to:
http://www.powerglides.co.uk/tuning_efi.php

Barmats

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 03:18:47 PM »

Agree on the above comments. I had the same bike and suffered from a very hot right leg as well. Ditching the cats or getting a new headpipe will help, as will a good tune - these bikes run lean from the factory to meet emissions standards. If you don't remove the lowers, try opening the vent(s) to let more air flow through.
2020 CVO Limited

collis69

• CVO1: 2013 RK
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 11:47:29 PM »

2013 cvo RK
I put the fullsac dx pipe,2"1/4 baffles w/screens wrapped,.30 head gasket, andrews 54 cam help some but still yet burns the chit out of my leg if I try and use floor boards so I just use crash bar pegs. Find me another speaker options lowers are gone 8)

Durwood

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Sheffer Performance H-D
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 01:12:14 AM »

Per the manual, removing the lowers may make you cooler, but it doesn't make the engine run cooler.  They're designed to channel more air to the front cylinder.

I removed my stock headpipe and crossover, and replaced them with a ceramic coated Jackpot header and crossover.  I've remapped the ECM with a PowerVision tuner.  The bike runs smoother, stronger, and cooler.  Others have had luck with Fullsac components, and have reported similar results.
The engine will run cooler with the lowers on, I tested it back to back on my RGU, and the engine temp at cruise was 20 degrees cooler with the lowers on according to Power Vision.

brwk

• Full CVO Member
  • Annv #782

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 09:15:33 AM »

That's what I always thought.  Engine would be cooler but not your legs.  Great real world info.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 10:09:03 AM »

There are roughly a gazzillion posts on this site complaining about heat on the riders legs.  And they aren't all just about 110's, there were plenty from the 103 days as well.  Excuse my lack of tact, but I have to ask just what the heck people expected when they bought a big air cooled V-Twin dinosaur with a totally exposed engine and exhaust system sitting within inches of certain tender parts of their bodies. :nixweiss:

Here's an experiment for those who think this heat thing is somehow unique to their motorcycle.  Take your car/truck/SUV etc for a nice 20 mile drive on a hot day.  Pull off the road, pop the hood, and crawl up on top of the engine and sit there for as long as you can.  Come back and let us know how it went.    OR, instead of sitting on top of the engine just slide under the vehicle and cozy up to the catalytic converter.

Now that you've proved that those other vehicles are also hot enough to cause pain and severe burns, take a look at the one major difference between them and your Harley.  The auto folks isolate and insulate the people from the heat sources.  Harley prefers to put no barrier at all between the rider and the heat sources.  DUH!   It's all about style and tradition guys.  You could have bought a motorcycle with an enclosed engine and well shielded exhaust system, but you chose the one with the hot stuff nearly touching you because it looks "cool".  You make your choice and you get to live with the results, and there is no magic wand.  You could try aluminum foil heat shields for your pant legs though. 

Jerry ;)

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 02:11:01 PM »

Again thanks all for the comments.

Mayor - I have sent a message to the company you came up with, thanks.

Jerry - again thanks for your comments, but is the medication wearing off  ;D? Don't get over excited it's only a discussion. I knew my leg would be hot, I have had six Electraglide,s before this, always got hot legs, less so when they put on the plastic deflectors, but this is something else. I reckon 100 miles with a basting spoon in my hand I could get the leg to medium-well done, ready to eat. :)

Regards

JohnT

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 02:34:12 PM »

Again thanks all for the comments.

Mayor - I have sent a message to the company you came up with, thanks.

Jerry - again thanks for your comments, but is the medication wearing off  ;D? Don't get over excited it's only a discussion. I knew my leg would be hot, I have had six Electraglide,s before this, always got hot legs, less so when they put on the plastic deflectors, but this is something else. I reckon 100 miles with a basting spoon in my hand I could get the leg to medium-well done, ready to eat. :)

Regards

JohnT

;D  Yes John, the meds wore off.  If you hang around for awhile you'll see they wear off quite often actually.  My sense of humor has been described by many over the years as a bit "different", so I try to tip people off by using that little wink emoticon after my name.

Btw, I've seen people cook food under the hoods of cars and trucks before, but you may be the first to do so on a motorcycle.  Leg of John doesn't invoke the same response as leg of lamb however. 

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 03:23:54 PM »

Had a very prompt and good reply from Fulsac.

Excuse the ignorance, what is a TTS and cables. I assume its software of some kind to remap the existing ecm. If it is, should the dealer be able to do this without special tackle?

JohnT

collis69

• CVO1: 2013 RK
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 07:07:23 PM »

It is the tuner that's lets you can your bikes map around such as spark fuel etc. I just bought the sleeper kit from steve and had installed best money I spent on the bike thus far much better ride now :bananarock:

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 11:37:52 PM »

Had a very prompt and good reply from Fulsac.

Excuse the ignorance, what is a TTS and cables. I assume its software of some kind to remap the existing ecm. If it is, should the dealer be able to do this without special tackle?

JohnT

The TTS MasterTune is a flash tuning device and software that enables adjustment of the various control values and tables in the ECM, to make the engine run better. Many of us on here use it. Fullsac is a dealer for the TTS MasterTune, and they provide customized TTS calibration files with the Fullsac setup you get. The calibration file provided by Fullsac can be easily flashed into your ECM using the TTS MasterTune.

You need a set of TTS cables to connect the MasterTune to your ECM data connector and to your laptop computer, and you need to install the TTS software (MasterTune, and optionally DataMaster and VTune) on your laptop.

You can learn about the TTS MasterTune product at http://mastertune.net/harleydavidson.htm

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2013, 04:20:50 PM »

Sorry to keep harping on about this, just ignore me if it's boring.

Should'nt the HD dealer have the ability to do this reprogramming of the ecu. It seems a lot of dollars to re-programme the ecu once only, it being unlikely you would need to do it again during ownership of the bike unless something went wrong with the ecu.
Or is it because HD do not provide the tech knowledge to the trained mechanics to mess around reprogramming std ecu's.
I presume the stage 1 fuel packs they sell for earlier bikes don't work with this system.

I appreciate you fellas have probably moved with the times better than me, so some of my questions may appear naive and old hat, sorry about that. I did move from Magnetos to Coils a lot easier than I am finding this stuff and even if I say so myself I wasn't bad with monoblocs. I did however fail miserably with a Wal Philips fuel injector (bought brand new I might add)!

Really what I am getting at is how come the dealer can't do this, why do we have to buy the software for a one off job.

JohnT

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2013, 04:33:11 PM »

Sorry to keep harping on about this, just ignore me if it's boring.

Should'nt the HD dealer have the ability to do this reprogramming of the ecu. It seems a lot of dollars to re-programme the ecu once only, it being unlikely you would need to do it again during ownership of the bike unless something went wrong with the ecu.
Or is it because HD do not provide the tech knowledge to the trained mechanics to mess around reprogramming std ecu's.
I presume the stage 1 fuel packs they sell for earlier bikes don't work with this system.

I appreciate you fellas have probably moved with the times better than me, so some of my questions may appear naive and old hat, sorry about that. I did move from Magnetos to Coils a lot easier than I am finding this stuff and even if I say so myself I wasn't bad with monoblocs. I did however fail miserably with a Wal Philips fuel injector (bought brand new I might add)!

Really what I am getting at is how come the dealer can't do this, why do we have to buy the software for a one off job.

JohnT

All emission controlled vehicles these days have tamper resistant engine management systems, and the guys at the dealership can't go into the actual calibration files and alter anything that affects emissions using just the normal diagnostic equipment they have.  The only thing they can do is to download street legal calibrations that Harley makes available to work with their street legal kits they sell.  To otherwise modify those files they have to use an illegal tuning package, like the SEPST or TTS or PowerVison or whatever.  The operative word here is illegal.  If Harley was to make it easy for their dealers to change the emission related settings using standard Harley service tools, Harley would be subject to massive fines and penalties in the USA.  I assume the same is true in the UK.  

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 04:34:52 PM by grc »

johnmowcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 04:45:10 PM »

Thank's Jerry.

Succinctly put, and you didn't loose your temper (although I did detect an hint of exasperation). I believe at long last I have the picture.

Thanks Fellas. I have given a good man at the local HD dealers this threads address, looking forward to his comments.

Again Thank you.

JohnT

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2013, 08:28:35 AM »

It seems a lot of dollars to re-programme the ecu once only,

Just to make sure you have the clear picture John. The money for the TTS Mastertune allows an unlimited number of re programmings.
Yes, it will only program one bike, but as many times as you like if needed to match up with different engine mods, exhaust changes ect.
Preferences always seem to change with these bikes.

By the way, Jerry is being pretty calm. Just don't ask about warranties or any of that kind of stuff.  :nervous:

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 25 queries.