Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: MINING TRADGEDY  (Read 4298 times)

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: MINING TRADGEDY
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 07:46:11 PM »

Was reading some news last night when the initial reports of survivors started bleeding across the wire services.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 07:47:38 PM by HUBBARD »
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2006, 08:57:42 AM »

i saw one of the mine owners on the news this AM, he says the board voted to start a fund for the familiys of $2,000,000. when asked why only 2 million since he him self is a billionare he backpedaled and said that was just a start and he wanted the country to send donations. then when asked we he hadnt given any of his personal money ( he is a billionaire ) he said he was going to wait and see what was donated first.

i really do feel for the families but i dont think they should live off of donations when the people who own and operate an unsafe mine are swimming in money
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2006, 09:59:46 AM »

i saw one of the mine owners on the news this AM, he says the board voted to start a fund for the familiys of $2,000,000. when asked why only 2 million since he him self is a billionare he backpedaled and said that was just a start and he wanted the country to send donations. then when asked we he hadnt given any of his personal money ( he is a billionaire ) he said he was going to wait and see what was donated first.

i really do feel for the families but i dont think they should live off of donations when the people who own and operate an unsafe mine are swimming in money
The "gentleman" referenced above is one of the bottom feeders that I truly abhor.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 11:23:41 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2006, 08:24:00 PM »

Life is hard and for some it seems harder than others. While I would not exchange the American way of life for any other, whenever stuff like this happens it makes me so sad. For every young boy or girl who lost a parent. For every wife who lost a husband. For every mother and father who lost a son. Why is it that those who work the hardest, treat their fellow man the best and are the backbone of our great nation seem to matter so little. I have waited a couple days to post anything on this as I wanted to see how long it took for it not to be news. About 4 days and only that because of the screw-up on information. The media had to fall all over itself in a disgusting display of self examination in which the actual point ( lives lost) seemed to disappear. And yet, Peter freakin Jennings, who would not let Toby Keith sing his great patriotic song "Courtesy of the USA" on a 4th of July telecast is still being "mourned" by the self serving talking heads on the idiot box. Someone once told me that people who read the comics before the obituary's live longer. I think I'll just read the comics. God Bless the working men and women of this country and screw the fact cats who have such little regard for anything beyond who is where on the effin Forbes list. Is it me, or is the destiny of the middle class receding to what it was 100 years ago. My prayers go out to those who lost loved ones.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2006, 10:39:11 PM »

............. Why is it that those who work the hardest, treat their fellow man the best and are the backbone of our great nation seem to matter so little. ............................. God Bless the working men and women of this country and screw the fat cats who have such little regard for anything beyond who is where on the effin Forbes list. [highlight]Is it me, or is the destiny of the middle class receding to what it was 100 years ago[/highlight]. My prayers go out to those who lost loved ones.
No, it isn't you.

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Laker

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2006, 10:45:39 PM »

The "gentleman" referenced above is one of the bottom feeders that I truly abhor.

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2006, 11:32:19 PM »

On the point of the lawsuit, I'm thinking there may not be one. We have all heard of the couple of hundred violations the mine had been cited for of course, but the tragedy seems to have stemmed from a sealed off abandoned shaft. This shaft may have had some methane gas that was then ignited from a lightening strike. This caused it to explode and blow out the seal filling the immeadiate area with dust and smoke. The active mine areas were fine, the miners did what they were trained to do under federal guidelines and sought shelter in an alcove deeper in the mine than where the explosion took place not knowing they were not blocked in by anything and actually had enough oxygen to make it to clean air a few thousand feet away. Thats the heartbreaking point, but as far as negligence that the company may have been guilty of that led to the tragedy - I don't see one here. I feel for the families, and I detest the incompetence that led to the false reports. The heartbreak the reports led to is gutwrenching. I also feel for the guy that had the horror to realize the guys weren't alive all the while the families were celebrating - imagine knowing you had to go give them that news. But a lawsuit? Against who? For what?
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2006, 08:57:29 AM »

In most states laws have been passed to prevent any type of lawsuit against the employer for negligence.  In those instances the families are limited to worker's compensation survivor benefits.
We will have to wait and see if the families have any other legal rights.

"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

SEUC-OCD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE - OCD
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2006, 08:17:34 PM »

In most states laws have been passed to prevent any type of lawsuit against the employer for negligence...

I could stomach it with some difficulty if they hadn't been written up with 16+ serious violations.  This seems to me like negligent homocide.

Another crook getting away with murder... literally.
84 GoldWing GL1200i (mint... pretty much)
06 FLHTCUSE Black/Haze (on order)  ETA: Q2-2006

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2006, 08:43:21 PM »

[highlight]I don't want to hijack this thread, but [/highlight] GRC  I agree, but where do we stand and be counted. I know I make inappropriate posts at times cause I get wound up on a subject but hopefully my heart shows through. Seems like a lot of folks I talk to think like you and me yet none of us seem to be able to do much about it. Sorry to get off on this, but watching the families of those men on TV yesterday deal with their loss made me mad as much as sad Hubbard's post to start this thread indicates that this has been going on since the first miner dug the first mine other than his own. Who speaks for those men and women other than folks like Hubbard who know first hand the sorrow and you and me who want to do something but don't even know where to start

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2006, 09:26:09 PM »

I could stomach it with some difficulty if they hadn't been written up with 16+ serious violations.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 10:14:14 PM by HUBBARD »
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

SEUC-OCD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE - OCD
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2006, 10:22:39 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, SEUC-OCD,

84 GoldWing GL1200i (mint... pretty much)
06 FLHTCUSE Black/Haze (on order)  ETA: Q2-2006

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2006, 02:59:05 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, SEUC-OCD,
  Thank you for your kind remarks.  grc may have been referring to Wilbur Ross, the Founder of ICG, (International Coal Group).  I cannot speak of his character, as I do not know this man.  Later--HUBBARD

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2006, 03:16:56 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, SEUC-OCD,

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2006, 03:31:02 PM »

Hub,

That's who I was talking about.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 21 queries.