Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: need some help  (Read 2133 times)

fxstbharley2008

• Junior CVO Member
need some help
« on: January 14, 2010, 08:55:58 PM »

Guys I am going with Vance and Hines Dual Head Pipes and Vance Hines Hi Output Slip On Mufflers for my SE SG.
I need Help with 3 questions?
1) Should I Jet Coat the inside of the head pipes?
2) Do I need a Race Tuner?
3) Will I need My SESG to be Dyno Tuned?
Thanks

slamr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 Sunset Orange / Sunset Black Fade
    • CVO2: 2010 Concord FLHXSE - Sold
Re: need some help
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:01:05 PM »

Head pipes - True duals or Power duals?  Not that it impacts answers, just curious as I'm trying to make the same decision.

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 09:57:46 PM »

No dyno tune, no benefit. I used a SERT. Others are very happy with Power Commanders and TTS from fullsac. Sorry, but no insight on coating the headpipes.

fxstbharley2008

• Junior CVO Member
Re: V + H True Duals Head Pipes
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 10:00:49 PM »

V + H True Duals  Head Pipes

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 10:10:59 PM »

I have the power duals on my SESG and there is a difference in the "seat of the pants" dyno between my SESG and my 07 SEUC that has true duals on it.  As far as ceramic coating, I have no experience in that and not really sure I see the necessity to do it, but there are those on the forum here that have done it and will probably totally disagree with me.  You should definitely put a fuel management system of some sort to tune the bike to get the best performance from your mods, but also to lower the AFR down which will let that 110 run a little cooler.  I'm using the Super SERT on my SESG.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

slamr

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 10:14:14 PM »

I'm leaning toward the same pipe and slipon combination. I'm going with the SEST and will have the bike dynoed after the breakin period. Not planning on jet coating. Truthfully I'm not sure if the benefits are worth the cost.

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 11:34:34 AM »

I've been working on the same thing lately, trying to decide between V&H and Rush Slip On's.  The big difference is that the V&H slip on's have a 4" diameter v. a 3 1/2" on the Rush.  Is there a reason that you went with the High Out Put v. the standard slip on's?
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

slamr

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 11:45:18 AM »

Hi-out put slip-on are actually 4.5" on the end.  They expand to 4.5" under the bags.  I thought the 4.5" would really fill out the exhaust cut outs.  This was really the primary reason for this V&H option.  Talking with V&H, they indicated they would also be slightly louder.  Check out the pics on their website. 

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 11:58:39 AM »

With just pipes, I wouldn't go for a full dyno tune, but you might check local shops, for just a dyno pull. Here you can have one done for around $60-$80. I found a special when I was adding my pipes, A/C, and PCIII, it was $25, then they made minor adjustments and another pull for another $50, got the air fuel ratio looking a lot better, it ran fine afterwards, only $75.

Craig

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 12:09:34 PM »

Thanks, the V&H pipes do look nice filling out the back of the bike.  I've also contacted Klock Werks to ask about their slash forward pipes which I would like to look at on a CVO.  IMO V&H has the best sound out there, and are quality.  Did you ever consider the power duals?
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

slamr

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 12:20:59 PM »

Thanks, the V&H pipes do look nice filling out the back of the bike.  I've also contacted Klock Werks to ask about their slash forward pipes which I would like to look at on a CVO.  IMO V&H has the best sound out there, and are quality.  Did you ever consider the power duals?

Maybe check this thread out:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=45141.0

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 12:30:29 PM »

Thanks, very helpful thread.  There's so much on this site that it's hard to get anything done at work and I won't even get to ride my bike until April!  Sounds like there are a lot of V&H fans out there, and it may make sense to simply start with the Hi Output Slip On's and and go from there at the 1,000 mile mark.

CVOTequila

• Squee's Revenge
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 06:06:46 PM »

I had V&H on my last bike, really liked them, but for my CVO, I went with Freedom Racing Duals...check out this thread.........http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=44244.0

:pepper: :pepper:
Mods:
Mirror Chrome Agitator Wheels
Freedom Racing Duals
C&C Seat (Squeeter's Revenge)
Hawg Wired "Double Shots"
Hawg Wired Tweeters
Boogey Lights Fireworks
Kury License Plate
HD Chrome Accents on gauges/radio
Tune Trapper Antenna (hidden)
Riders Claw
Footboard/Passenger Extensions
SE Shift Linkage
Joker Machine Saddlebag Latches
Ness Flame Grips (billet)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 06:54:50 PM »

As far as the best sounding exhaust.....deep base, throaty......Thunderheader is probably top in that catagory.  But you have to like the volumne too......they're also the loudest. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 05:13:15 AM »

I got the Dresser Duals in black so I had all pipes done by Jet-Hot to match. Main reason for coating the pipes is to prevent discoloration from heat. Important to some (me), not so important to others. For my black heat-shields, the standard chrome finish on the V&H pipes would have stuck out like a sore thumb, so it was worth the cost of coating to me.

I'm going with a TTS tuner, but the main benefit of adding any tuner and getting it on the dyno is to fatten up the A/F mix. Cuts down on the heat issues on the 110 motor.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 22 queries.