Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Clearview Choices...experienced opinions please  (Read 5753 times)

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
Clearview Choices...experienced opinions please
« on: November 07, 2009, 11:17:11 AM »

I replaced my stock windscreen with a Clearview 4" black with recurve and decided I made an error. I'm too short to be comfortable not seeing through the black screen and, as good as the 4" recurve is, think I'll be happier with a
6.5" recurve.

To avoid another error, I thought I'd ask you guys for advice. Smoke tint or dark grey tint? To my eye the dark grey is better looking. Will it be too dark for the occasional night ride?

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
Re: Clearview Choices...experienced opinions please
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 11:44:07 PM »

How tall are you? Are you saying you are looking over the one you have now?  Is the wind still hitting you in the face? Do you really want to look through a windshield, esp. if it has tint and at night?

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 12:03:33 AM »

If you do look through the shield, the dark gray will be too dark at night.

Luigi

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 06:33:16 AM »

I just installed the Medium Clear View today-I am 6'2. Looking slightly over the top, yet still get wind around the eyes, but the turbulence in the ears has lessened, to reorder the tall only adds a half an inche anything above this would be too tall. Thought from the rave reviews it would have worked better--tried the 14 inche Wind Vest, and the 16inche Klock werks--anyone interested in these I will make you a great deal to get them out of my garage. Great website, sure learn a bunch from all of you.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 07:20:39 AM »

I just installed the Medium Clear View today-I am 6'2. Looking slightly over the top, yet still get wind around the eyes, but the turbulence in the ears has lessened, to reorder the tall only adds a half an inche anything above this would be too tall. Thought from the rave reviews it would have worked better--tried the 14 inche Wind Vest, and the 16inche Klock werks--anyone interested in these I will make you a great deal to get them out of my garage. Great website, sure learn a bunch from all of you.

Possibly one of these would work better for you...

http://www.customflhtwindshields.net/index.html
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Myko

• Senior CVO Member
  • Takin' Bug Slayer Home

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE "BUG SLR" Spiced Rum - Yummmm!
    • CVO2: 1985 FLHTC "St Steven", RK conversion, hand paint in Naples, IT
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 08:28:45 AM »

Possibly one of these would work better for you...

http://www.customflhtwindshields.net/index.html
I like the looks of these... look like they'll provide a nice look to the Street Glide. While I like the flame option, I'm curious as to what kind of sound the flame tips will generate in the wind.
~~~~~
Mike
------------------------------------------------------
2010 Spiced Rum SESG "Bug Slayer"
Fullsac X pipe & 2.0 baffles
Corbin Classic Solo w/Scarlet Flames
14" Wild1 Chubby Apehangers
Hawg Wired Double Shot
Kuryakyn Driving Lights
Clark Custom Windshield & Deflectors
Performance Machine FL Touring Mirrors (black)
Color matched saddlebag spoilers
Deflectorization
Diamond Polished Stainless Steel Engine bolt kit
---------------------------------------------------

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 06:15:27 PM »

I'm 5'10" and have the 6.5 with recurve in smoke , it's perfect year round for me. I look over it , but can see through it no problem.
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 07:56:24 PM »

I like the looks of these... look like they'll provide a nice look to the Street Glide. While I like the flame option, I'm curious as to what kind of sound the flame tips will generate in the wind.

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

My riding budy has this shield and loves it.  Better wind resistance and less noise.

:coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 08:58:15 AM »

Sounds like you're referring to the wind that comes up between the fairing and the fuel tank from the bottom.

I have the 8" dark tint Windvest (I'm 6'4") and it has worked great for me riding with a Corbin Classic Solo (which corrolates with Nidan's 6.5 for his height). :2vrolijk_21:  The seat makes a difference in relation to the shield, also.  Some raise you up while others (Corbin) lowers you from the stock seat height.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 09:11:32 AM »

I have 12" clearview light smoke and like the look and function but at night, and only at night I wish I had gone with clear.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 10:05:09 AM »

I have a 6.5 Clear View in the dark tint.  I am 6'5" and have a road glide seat on with this shield.  I also have the 12 inch in lt smoke for when I am on my long rides.

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 10:12:07 AM »

First and foremost is if you are NOT comfortable looking through anything at all then yes you have a real "Di Limmer" on your hands.

I have a smoke recurve and i can see just above it most of the time. If i see a road hazard even a night i can still identify it throught the windshield. But.....i wouldn't want to ride a curvy dark country road looking through it only. If ya know what i mean.
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

fxstbharley2008

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 11:20:33 AM »

I have the 12" Klockwerks  light smoke tint not dark.
I look thru this, at night wear clear glasses and it is not too dark.
I forgot to put my glasses on and did not even realize they were not on till the end of the ride - That's how good this windshield is.

HarleyBee103

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTK
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 11:50:18 AM »

They say, whoever "they" are, that you should be able to see over your windshield for an unobstructed view of the road ahead.  If you're having issues seeing over a 4", you may wish to take JCZ's advice and look at a different seat. 

I've just received my Clearview 8", dark grey with upper recurve.  I notice a huge difference over my stock 6.5" smoked and would recommend it to anyone. 

I see many with "cones of silence"; shields towering over their heads and ask myself, why didn't they just buy a car...my own personal opinion of course.  Good luck with your choice.
Nelson, BC (2007)
Sedona, AR (2008)
Hood River, OR (2009)

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 02:21:48 PM »

Had a cleaview on a road glide . i was looking over the top just barely and had a non-buffeted ride at freeway speeds.  My passenger had significant buffeting which resulted in returning the product.

I think designing a good windshield for a road glide is very tough.  Since the shield starts much further forward of the rider than the batwing windshields the envelope of coverage ends sooner, hence buffeting of the passenger.  I am currently experimenting with a stock windshield and fabric lowers attached to the engine guards.  Will post the results when known.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.