CVO Technical > Drive Train

Gear oil in primary

<< < (2/3) > >>

scotman623:
I AGREE with you Jerry, it can be used , but never in my bike..

hd-dude:
Can it be used? Yes.  Should it be used? NO!!!

Threephase:

--- Quote from: grc on January 07, 2020, 03:36:24 PM ---It's OK in the trans (people have been using other brands of 80w140 for decades in Harley transmissions), I'm not sure why they think a more viscous fluid would be good in the primary.  There is nothing in the primary that requires a higher load rated lubricant, it's basically a simple chain drive.  The auto industry uses ATF in their chain driven transfer cases these days (it's also what I use in the primary of my old Twin Cam), so obviously they don't think heavier is better.

Try it if you want and see what you think. 

Jerry

--- End quote ---

Maybe because the auto industry is not using air cooled engines and the transfer cases are not subject to the same amount of heat? I switched my 2017 over to the 80-140 in trans and primary back in June before I headed to Colorado for 2 weeks. Bike performed flawless in hot and cold temps. No clutch drag. Transmission shifts easier and quieter and primary did not seem to feel/act any different.

When I used to have dirt bikes in the 70's, I cleaned my chains thoroughly. Then I took a jar of vaseline and scooped it out into a large metal coffee can (remember it is the 1970's) and then poured a quart of 50 wt oil in and heated it up on the stove burner. Once it was bubbling hot, i turned off the burner, waited 5 minutes then lowered my chain into the goo, waited a couple of minutes, lifted it up and let it drip. Chains seemed to last forever. So for me, a thicker oil for a chain is better. But that is just my humble opinion.

skratch:
remember also that gear oil is rated differently than motor oil.  an 85w-140 is approx the same viscosity as a 20w-60 motor oil.  so while i wouldn't use it in the primary, it isn't as bad as it sounds.

ultra13:
Getting ready to use 80w-140 in the trans this winter. Be anxious to see the difference. I usually use SE SYN 3.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version