Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What to use to Cleaning Road glide behind windshield and Rushmore hole etc.  (Read 6057 times)

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR

Looking for ideas to clean these pain in the ass areas.  This is really a problem after hitting a large number of bugs.  What a mess.

Now they are dried and it looks like heck since I can not reach down to clean.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue

The dash area behind the windshield is pretty easy once you take those 4 screws out and take the windshield off. I've had mine almost 5 seasons now and it seems just as quick to do it that way than to fight getting your hand and a rag down there. That vent on the other hand. Small skinny fingers work.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

The dash area behind the windshield is pretty easy once you take those 4 screws out and take the windshield off. I've had mine almost 5 seasons now and it seems just as quick to do it that way than to fight getting your hand and a rag down there. That vent on the other hand. Small skinny fingers work.

Good point and I agree.   The vent is a SOB.   There has got to be away to clean this  bug collection area but I can not figure it out.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 11:19:21 PM by rayson56 »
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue

This looks like it would work well;
https://www.walmart.com/ip/AutoSpa-Professional-Bend-Wash-Wheel-Cleaner/45016320

I have one of those for my rims. It's a flat piece of metal with that cleaning sponge on it. It likes to fall off though. Not sure I'd use that in the vent unless you replaced the metal handle with a piece of wood.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald

once you've taken the windshield off, its just a matter of a little tug to get the 'bug collector' off.  then it's super easy to clean.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 08:02:41 AM by skratch »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Just winging this off the top of my head, but didn't someone on the site come up with a screen for the vent intake to collect the bugs and debris?  Or was that for a batwing model?  My memory isn't what it once was, if you know what I mean.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

once you've taken the windshield off, its just a matter of a little tug to get the 'bug collector' off.  then it's super easy to clean.

This works but it is a bitch to get it back together so it fits tight

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald

not had a problem with mine....  :bananarock:
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE

Most bugs, at least in Florida, are actually water soluble. I just soak a soft towel with water, feed it thru the slot from front to rear before I start to wash the bike and let it soak, sometimes I soak the towel a second time. When I get ready to wash the fairing I just pull out the towel and feed my fluffy wash mit into the slot and by pulling back and forth from one end to the other all the bugs and dirt, are gone pretty quickly. Actually quicker than it probably takes to read this. Just remember the bugs have to soak a few minutes. People bitch about love bugs constantly but if soaked in this manner they are actually pretty easy to remove. Also I wash the bike very often and keep the area of the vent treated with SI02, Even when riding away from home a motel towel soaked will work.

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

Most bugs, at least in Florida, are actually water soluble. I just soak a soft towel with water, feed it thru the slot from front to rear before I start to wash the bike and let it soak, sometimes I soak the towel a second time. When I get ready to wash the fairing I just pull out the towel and feed my fluffy wash mit into the slot and by pulling back and forth from one end to the other all the bugs and dirt, are gone pretty quickly. Actually quicker than it probably takes to read this. Just remember the bugs have to soak a few minutes. People bitch about love bugs constantly but if soaked in this manner they are actually pretty easy to remove. Also I wash the bike very often and keep the area of the vent treated with SI02, Even when riding away from home a motel towel soaked will work.

I will try it.  Thanks

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust

When traveling I use the wet towel method. Works very well.  At home I keep a spray bottle of water on a shelf near the bike.  Just plain water.  I spray the bug areas then let the water sit for 3-5 minutes.  You can see them soften.  If baked on after a long day in the sun sometimes will spray it a second time.  With a decent coat of wax/polish on the bike the bugs come off easily with a clean soft microfiber towel.  Can also spray the microfiber with water if you wish. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

TimP

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

Re: What to use to Cleaning Road glide behind windshield and Rushmore hole etc.
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 09:03:11 PM »

BugSlide, a microfiber towel or their X-treme clean cloth wrapped around a paint mixing stick works well.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.