Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: FXR HISTORY  (Read 290178 times)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
Re: FXR HISTORY
« Reply #165 on: August 19, 2008, 11:11:32 PM »

93FXR~~~~

it's awesome that you have found the site.....you have a beautiful bike.....thanks for sharing your photos and THANKS for participating with some "historical" perspective of your bike....

So I am thinking because of the "silver" engine that you have the 1993 FXR Super Glide?

Looks like you have some "wide glide" front forks, risers and t~bars as well........So your 1993 last year was 14 years old and had less than 5.500 miles on it.....and within the last year you have doubled it.....that's awesome.....
So why did you pick it? What do you like most about it?  Have you done anything to the engine? How do you like the gearing of the bike....[Finally get to talk to an owner that has 3.37 final gearing] at highway speed?  Does it seem to have a lot of power down low, I would think that it does.....

Hope you stick around.

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 11:13:06 PM by FXR2evo99 »

93 FXR

« Reply #166 on: August 19, 2008, 11:32:17 PM »

93FXR~~~~

it's awesome that you have found the site.....you have a beautiful bike.....thanks for sharing your photos and THANKS for participating with some "historical" perspective of your bike....

So I am thinking because of the "silver" engine that you have the 1993 FXR Super Glide?

Looks like you have some "wide glide" front forks, risers and t~bars as well........So your 1993 last year was 14 years old and had less than 5.500 miles on it.....and within the last year you have doubled it.....that's awesome.....
So why did you pick it? What do you like most about it?  Have you done anything to the engine? How do you like the gearing of the bike....[Finally get to talk to an owner that has 3.37 final gearing] at highway speed?  Does it seem to have a lot of power down low, I would think that it does.....

Hope you stick around.

Regards,

Tim

Tim,

Yes, it's a FXR Super Glide. I have been looking for one in decent shape for a year and a half....and along came this one, just a few miles from my house. The guy who I bought it from was the original owner, in his early 60's. It was in fantastic shape, just needed the dust (lots of it) blown off it., It just sat in his garage.
I picked the FXR because my older brother had an 80's model, and I loved it..(how could you not??) I mostly like the cornering ability of the bike...it's really quite nimble. Engine mods are really quite simple, (listed in sig line) EV3 cam, torrington bearing, (get rid of the INA before it's a problem), big sucker, coil, pipes, and I did switch out the front end to a wide glide, (billet trees, stock length tubes, Y Bars, headlight, etc.) Lots of power on the lower end, especially with the EV3,...but it does OK on the hiway as well...all in all, a spectacular bike in excellent shape.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #167 on: August 19, 2008, 11:49:24 PM »

Tim,

Yes, it's a FXR Super Glide. I have been looking for one in decent shape for a year and a half....and along came this one, just a few miles from my house. The guy who I bought it from was the original owner, in his early 60's. It was in fantastic shape, just needed the dust (lots of it) blown off it., It just sat in his garage.
I picked the FXR because my older brother had an 80's model, and I loved it..(how could you not??) I mostly like the cornering ability of the bike...it's really quite nimble. Engine mods are really quite simple, (listed in sig line) EV3 cam, torrington bearing, (get rid of the INA before it's a problem), big sucker, coil, pipes, and I did switch out the front end to a wide glide, (billet trees, stock length tubes, Y Bars, headlight, etc.) Lots of power on the lower end, especially with the EV3,...but it does OK on the hiway as well...all in all, a spectacular bike in excellent shape.

Cool ride man! Interesting that you like handling, yet converted to a WG front end. But I rock and roll on my solid mount 4-speed FXWG, so I can't talk. But that was always a WG, I just push it a little. But it ain't no FXR in the handling department! An FXR WG! Hmmm, the factory never did that! Nor forward controls that I know of either! ;)

Also, I wasn't aware that the Super Glide came with a tach and console like that. Did you change anything there? Could be getting my years mixed up though.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

93 FXR

« Reply #168 on: August 20, 2008, 12:46:23 AM »

Cool ride man! Interesting that you like handling, yet converted to a WG front end. But I rock and roll on my solid mount 4-speed FXWG, so I can't talk. But that was always a WG, I just push it a little. But it ain't no FXR in the handling department! An FXR WG! Hmmm, the factory never did that! Nor forward controls that I know of either! ;)

Also, I wasn't aware that the Super Glide came with a tach and console like that. Did you change anything there? Could be getting my years mixed up though.

Hoist! 8)

Thanks....
I find the handling better...at least it seems to me a bit more "sure footed"....if you know what I mean...
The console is stock, to my  knowledge....It's a Speedo and gas fill...no tach..(yet) I'll mount a small tach/oil gauge on the rocker box over the winter.
I'll include a pic of the console. Check it out...

Thanks for the comments on the sled.
I appreciate your thoughts.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 05:20:43 PM by 93 FXR »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #169 on: August 20, 2008, 12:59:59 AM »

Thanks....
I find the handling better...at least it seems to me a bit more "sure footed"....if you know what I mean...
The console is stock, to my  knowedge....It's a Speedo and gas fill...no tach..(yet) I'll mount a small tach/oil gauge on the rocker box over the winter.
I'll include a pic of the console. Check it out...

Thanks for the comments on the sled.
I appreciate your thoughts.

Got ya. That's what I thought, but it looked like a Low Rider (speedo & tach) console from the angle I looked at.

Have fun with the mods and enjoy the bike! Reach out if ya need help! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

93 FXR

« Reply #170 on: August 20, 2008, 01:08:39 AM »

Thanks man.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #171 on: August 21, 2008, 09:54:32 AM »

UPDATE:

Well everytime new information is found it's great as the "HISTORY" becomes MORE ACCURATE!!!

I just discovered that there was actually a 1987 FXRC CUSTOM BIKE AS WELL, if you recall:

in 1985 there were two FXR LIMITED EDITIONS one was official the other was unoffical both to gain extra sales and to help perfect the production line process for supplying more chrome.  The "OFFICIAL" one was the [/color] FXRC Low Glide Custom , which in some locales was unoffically dubbed the " Candy Glide " in honor of the color scheme of the paint which was Candy Orange and Root Beer , paint that made the whole motorcyle seem to glow in full sunlight like a "radioactive pumpkin".  The 1985 "Candy Glide" FXRC Low Glide Custom , wasn't for everyone, and in some parts of the country they were a tough sell.  Why?  The price was higher, for one, the biggest reason, though was that bright bold color that was too "pretty" to be seen on.  The new black T-shirt crowd just wasn't fully ready for the Candy Orange and Root Beer bikes with orange-brown seats.  Only 1,084 were built in 1985.  The "UNOFFICAL" FXRS special was a version offered with the chrome covers of the FXRC, but without the candy paint.  

There appears to be some further evidence
that indeed HD carried the FXRC Low Glide Custom into 1986,  Hardluk1 sent me a note and has informed me that he owns one, #933 of 1250 on the speedo/tac cluster, black with some gold finishes on the lower tree and console also rear rail covers. All stickon 's. He Was told by a person that the custom stuff was left over from 85 and to be a fugal company, HD kept it up in 86 till the stuff was gone . It is back'd up in the vin#.  

REDFXR2 then added this statement:
From Illustrated Buyer's Guide Harley Davidson since 1965

[Chapter 8.  Talking about changes and models for 1985] ...The second half model for 1985 was the FXRC Low Glide, the C standing for Custom....The factory said the plan was to only make 1075 examples of the Custom while offering the chrome plating package as an option for the FLT and FLHT.  There's something of a puzzle here, because the Custom was reported as a good seller, while years later the package, as in the chrome plating and paint scheme, turned up on some 1986 FXRC Customs.  The model wasn't in the 1986 catalog so we can guess that selling the scheduled number of Customs took longer than expected.

REDFXR2 further added, "......So, it appears that you could have bought new/owned a 1986 FXRC that, to HD, was sort of "off the books", since apparently HD regarded all FXRC's as 1985 models......"

Next, in 1987 here are a few photos of a 1987 FXRC CUSTOM which happens to be #679 out of 750 that were built.  Once Again It Apppears HD Continues To Work Towards The Completion of This Previous Offering From 1985 With The Conclusion Of 750 Units However These Units Featured For The First Time A Painted Frame Matching the Painted Body Work Of The Bike. These Units Were Also Identified By Their Numerical Order With A Inscribed Plate At The Location Of The Handlebars And For The Very First Time The USA FLAG Was Placed On An Actual Bike, "OLD GLORY" Had Arrived And Was Proudly Displayed.  It ONCE AGAIN Should Be Noted That HD Never Placed This Particular Model In Any Of It's Sales/Brochure Literature For 1987.

So while it could be said that HD was not satisfied with the amount of "CUSTOM" units that were selling they even went ONE STEP further by "painting" the frame the same color....seems to me they weren't simply "rushing" to get these out the door 2 years later....perhaps they were marketing these in specific areas checking out how the market would react to different items on the FXR.....

1985 FXRC Low Glide Custom 1,084 in 1985 were built.
1986 FXRC CUSTOM  1,250 in 1986 were built.
1987 FXRC CUSTOM  750 in 1987 were built.

PHOTO:  1987 FXRSC CUSTOM PHOTO BELOW:

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:44:26 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #172 on: August 21, 2008, 09:55:03 AM »

1987 FXRC CUSTOM PHOTO BELOW:

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 10:31:59 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #173 on: August 21, 2008, 09:55:56 AM »

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 10:33:04 AM by FXR2evo99 »

RedFXR2

« Reply #174 on: August 21, 2008, 10:37:23 AM »

Tim:  Recognize the script on the tank?  That's the same text style as used on our "hologram" tanks.  Kinda cool that something in our bikes is rooted in a 1987 "custom" FXR.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #175 on: August 21, 2008, 10:44:27 AM »

:bananarock:

Mike I hadn't even noticed that.....GREAT EYE!!!!!!!  :2vrolijk_21:

That's awesome....and ALSO while I am not sure....whether this came this way or not....IT DOES HAVE A 21" spoked wheel as well......have to check into that....

.....and did you notice the side panels....while not exactly what you did....it appears you have excellent tast as well back in 1987 they were putting decals on the side panel too.....
Regards,

Tim

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 10:48:52 AM by FXR2evo99 »

Scaley

« Reply #176 on: October 02, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »

Stumbled upon this board while looking for a tachometer for my 1986 FXRS Liberty Edition. Happy to say that I am the original owner. I've added some non-stock items (I have all the original parts), and chromed some engine parts way back when the bike was new. I've ridden the bike to the Sturgis Rally from Wisconsin twice, once in '86 and again for the 50th Anniversary. It has 22,000 on the clock and has been in storage for the last *gulp* 10 years...I got the itch to get back in the saddle, and in August took the bike to Doc's Harley Davidson in Shawano for tires and a well deserved going over. Put on about 1,400 miles since. The bike is running great and still rides fantastic, the only concern I have is that my leather jacket seems to have shrunk... I would appreciate any help/suggestions in locating a NOS or used tachometer. Mine sort of functions, but the needle response is very, very sluggish. Sorry about the poor photo, all I have is a crappy cellphone camera and it was pouring-down with rain so it had to be an inside shot. I apologize if I am posting in the wrong spot. Thanks in advance for any info in finding a tach.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #177 on: October 02, 2008, 08:39:09 PM »

Stumbled upon this board while looking for a tachometer for my 1986 FXRS Liberty Edition. Happy to say that I am the original owner. I've added some non-stock items (I have all the original parts), and chromed some engine parts way back when the bike was new. I've ridden the bike to the Sturgis Rally from Wisconsin twice, once in '86 and again for the 50th Anniversary. It has 22,000 on the clock and has been in storage for the last *gulp* 10 years...I got the itch to get back in the saddle, and in August took the bike to Doc's Harley Davidson in Shawano for tires and a well deserved going over. Put on about 1,400 miles since. The bike is running great and still rides fantastic, the only concern I have is that my leather jacket seems to have shrunk... I would appreciate any help/suggestions in locating a NOS or used tachometer. Mine sort of functions, but the needle response is very, very sluggish. Sorry about the poor photo, all I have is a crappy cellphone camera and it was pouring-down with rain so it had to be an inside shot. I apologize if I am posting in the wrong spot. Thanks in advance for any info in finding a tach.
Scaley,
Welcome to the site when you get a chance you should go to this board - New Member Introduction and start a thread to introduce yourself. Be advised when you do start a thread there members will want to see more pictures of your bike. ;D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2008, 02:35:26 AM »

Just moving this back to Page 1 for others quickly find......

Regards,

Tim

Scaley

« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2008, 12:33:28 PM »

On my 1986 FXR Liberty Edition is there a way of telling what number out of the 744 that were built that my bike is? Thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 25 queries.