Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39

Author Topic: 2017 CVO MODELS/CHANGES  (Read 148281 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: 2017 CVO MODELS/CHANGES
« Reply #555 on: September 07, 2016, 09:00:23 AM »

At least the 2017 is not directing crank case venting directly to the throttle body.  :bananarock:

TN

:nixweiss:   Where else would it be vented?  They can't vent it to atmosphere, since that would be highly illegal.  I remember someone else making that comment before and I looked at a parts catalog listing for the air cleaner and found the same kind of breather connections and tubes we have on the older models.  I just tried to look it up again but the site I'm using for 2017 parts is down,  probably due to too many people like me looking up 2017 changes. ;)
Here's a pic from the 2017 SE Catalog.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #556 on: September 07, 2016, 11:06:06 AM »

Article from cycle world

http://www.cycleworld.com/harley-davidson-motorcycles-new-milwaukee-eight-big-twin-engine#page-11

Screenshot prolly off, using my iPad.  :nixweiss:

TN

States if oil was overfilled it would dribble on a/c. Maybe you don't have to under fill them now.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 11:08:44 AM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #557 on: September 08, 2016, 04:18:51 PM »

I don't claim to be smart....but why would you want your "overfilled engine oil" routed through the transmission (case)?

I may delete this post when someone informs me of my lack of brain cells.  Trust me, it's happened in the past!!
2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #558 on: September 08, 2016, 05:44:55 PM »

I don't claim to be smart....but why would you want your "overfilled engine oil" routed through the transmission (case)?

I may delete this post when someone informs me of my lack of brain cells.  Trust me, it's happened in the past!!

Trust me, you are right on the money.  The comment in that article makes no sense.  The best I can figure is that someone either mixed up the information on the breather system with the information on the oil cooled head system, or they were just making stuff up on the fly after looking at that hose that runs from the rear head down toward the trans on the so-called oil cooled model.  Harley can't dump any excess oil into the trans, since that would overfill the trans.  They can't dump the crankcase fumes into the trans, because the trans is vented to atmosphere and it would be illegal to use that vent to dump crankcase emissions to the atmosphere.  If there has been any improvement in oil carryover to the air cleaner, it would have to come from improved oil separators in the breather system.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #559 on: September 08, 2016, 06:07:22 PM »

I’ve never claimed to be the smartest man in the room myself. I do see where they have re-engineered the breathers in the rocker box, took them long enough. Maybe some HD employee reading this could chime in, or will he? Previously you could’t fill the crankcase to the full mark without oil dribbling out on the a/c, in my real world experience.

I won’t have to worry about it, I’ll continue to run mine 1/2 quart low and vent to the atmosphere. Got to use up my carbon credits somehow.

Cheers

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #560 on: September 08, 2016, 07:21:41 PM »

Trust me, you are right on the money.  The comment in that article makes no sense.  The best I can figure is that someone either mixed up the information on the breather system with the information on the oil cooled head system, or they were just making stuff up on the fly after looking at that hose that runs from the rear head down toward the trans on the so-called oil cooled model.  Harley can't dump any excess oil into the trans, since that would overfill the trans.  They can't dump the crankcase fumes into the trans, because the trans is vented to atmosphere and it would be illegal to use that vent to dump crankcase emissions to the atmosphere.  If there has been any improvement in oil carryover to the air cleaner, it would have to come from improved oil separators in the breather system.

Jerry

Well..... except that the Twin Cam engines have always vented to the tranny cases.  Primarily for crankcase overpressure but that was never an absolute.  Since the MoCo still likes to prescribe the same fluid for the engine and the transmission one could understand a weird logic that would suggest overpressure or over volume in the new engine be dumped in the tranny.  If for environmental reasons if nothing else.  Ideally one just wouldn't overfill.  But this is the MoCo we're talking about....

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #561 on: September 08, 2016, 10:30:15 PM »

I’ve never claimed to be the smartest man in the room myself. I do see where they have re-engineered the breathers in the rocker box, took them long enough. Maybe some HD employee reading this could chime in, or will he? Previously you could’t fill the crankcase to the full mark without oil dribbling out on the a/c, in my real world experience.

I won’t have to worry about it, I’ll continue to run mine 1/2 quart low and vent to the atmosphere. Got to use up my carbon credits somehow.

Cheers

TN

My bikes prefer to vent to the atmosphere also.  It helps increase the Global Warming, each of us should do our part.

:drink:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #562 on: September 09, 2016, 02:19:34 AM »

My bikes prefer to vent to the atmosphere also.  It helps increase the Global Warming, each of us should do our part.
 :drink:
Many scientists point out that Sun will probably have big decrease in sunspot activity, which will mean less heat coming to Earth.  I can hear the Global Warmists now:  "Yeah, human CO2 caused global warming, which caused the global cooling...just like we said it would."
If you want peace, prepare for war.

ultrarider123

« Reply #563 on: September 09, 2016, 06:52:39 AM »

Nobody gets out of this life alive....ride on  :thumbup:

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #564 on: September 22, 2016, 06:56:37 AM »

Took a test ride on a 2017 last week to compare it to my 2016 CVO.  Biggest impression is the lack of mechanical engine noise and smooth idle - definitely an improvement.  Power, however, was about the same as my 110 (my 110 was dynoed after an exhaust change, so I'm getting a little more oomph there).  No change in temperature - my 2016 is a cool running motor, far cooler than my 2008 CVO was.  Oddly enough, the cooling fans ran on the 2017 where my 2016 fans rarely ever run.
Suspension felt no different and handling was the same feel as my 2016.
My biggest concern is HD's record for having problems with the first year motors.  EVOs had leaky cylinder base gaskets, Twinkies had cam bearing failures, the 110s had head gasket issues in the 2007 model year.  So, I'm staying away from them till at least 2018.  At besides, I have a 2016 that has had zero problems in its first 9000 miles.  And, I don't care for the colors on the 2017s.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #565 on: September 22, 2016, 07:20:09 AM »

Rode a 2017 Street glide special yesterday.  It had the HD stage one kit, slip ons, hi flow air cleaner and a HD map.

Motor is very smooth, only a very little harley shake, which I like.  Very little mechanical noise from motor, which I love, no longer sounds like something is soon to fail.  Transmission is smoother.

The power of the 107 with the stage one was very similar if not slightly better than my 15 SERGU with a Fullsac exhaust system, hi flow air cleaner and a TTS tuner with a good tune.  Really impressed with the low end of this new motor.  I'm sure with no cat it will make more power than a stage 1 110.  Really love the new motor, can't wait to try the 114.

Front suspension is a huge improvement.  Much firmer, felt like less flex pushing the curves.  Way less dive under hard braking, felt more planted in the curves.  Rear seamed improved also.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #566 on: September 22, 2016, 11:02:36 AM »

That's kind of what I got out of the ride as well, not sure I would want to pay the difference to the CVO. But I haven't seen a CVO RG yet. Hope its a Hot rod version like the 09. Wish there was one I could rent for the weekend so I could spend more than 10 min on one. My bike at 202/178 is a tough act to follow but it beats you up after a while.

BigLew

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #567 on: September 22, 2016, 12:01:41 PM »

Took a test ride on a 2017 last week to compare it to my 2016 CVO.  Biggest impression is the lack of mechanical engine noise and smooth idle - definitely an improvement.  Power, however, was about the same as my 110 (my 110 was dynoed after an exhaust change, so I'm getting a little more oomph there).  No change in temperature - my 2016 is a cool running motor, far cooler than my 2008 CVO was.  Oddly enough, the cooling fans ran on the 2017 where my 2016 fans rarely ever run.
Suspension felt no different and handling was the same feel as my 2016.
My biggest concern is HD's record for having problems with the first year motors.  EVOs had leaky cylinder base gaskets, Twinkies had cam bearing failures, the 110s had head gasket issues in the 2007 model year.  So, I'm staying away from them till at least 2018.  At besides, I have a 2016 that has had zero problems in its first 9000 miles.  And, I don't care for the colors on the 2017s.

I AGREE THE COLORS ARE VERY UNDERWHELMING

Panhead_Jimmy

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #568 on: September 28, 2016, 07:27:37 PM »

Luckily I have the most reliable, blah, blah, blah.   :oops:   

I just replaced the noisy lifters and cam in my 22K mile 2015 CVO.  So much for reliable.  At least I wasn't on the road in BFE or some other gosh darn freakin place.

So...I guess my new M8 doesn't have a high bar to exceed, eh?  You definitely need 2 H-Ds to be on the road constantly. 

2004 Hemi Dodge Slammed Ram, Short Bed Std Cab
1945 Knuckle
1956 Pan
2015 FLHTKSE
2017 CVO Street Glide Orange/Starfire Black

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #569 on: September 28, 2016, 07:31:26 PM »

I just replaced the noisy lifters and cam in my 22K mile 2015 CVO.  So much for reliable.  At least I wasn't on the road in BFE or some other gosh darn freakin place.

So...I guess my new M8 doesn't have a high bar to exceed, eh?  You definitely need 2 H-Ds to be on the road constantly.

One HD and one K1600GTx would work as well  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.