Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fairing Vibration Again, and Again, and Again...  (Read 1790 times)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Fairing Vibration Again, and Again, and Again...
« on: August 01, 2014, 06:17:20 PM »

Jeez, I've been fighting this vibrating fairing that keeps killing my radio for years with no luck.  After fixing the vertical brackets once, last year I broke down and got the new versions while the radio was out for repair again. I've replaced the vertical and horizontal brackets, the handle bar clamp with the shorter bolts, even changed the front motor mounts and done every trick in the book to reduce vibration but the fairing just keeps shaking like crazy betwen 1200 and 1800 rpm.  This time the radio only lasted less than 1,000 miles before the right channel went. Now the left is starting to go. Can't even get a full season anymore?

Anyway, the only mods up front is the J&M 7-1/4" speakers and amp.  I don't think the speakers weight much more than the stockers, but I don't know. I just took the fairing off hoping the channel cutting out was an amp or speaker wire, but no, it's the connector in the back of the radio again. Damn.  I did check all of the brackets and they are fine. I do have a hotter cam, that is probably making things worse, but I don't know there either.

I'm at wits end. I read about Mike's support bars, but I'm not sure if those will fit with the J&M Amp over the radio and the XM/CB below. I got a note into him to see. But, beyond that, has anyone else figured out any other tricks to help improve this problem? I mean the bike itself, even the handlebars and mirrors barely shake. Its all the fairing. The only other thing I can think of is perhaps loosening the vertical bracket bolts on the forks and tweaking the fairing one way or the other and seeing if 'loading' it might help, but beyond that, I'm running out of ideas here - Beyond removing the motor and having the damn crank balanced?  Jeez, this is getting ridiculous!

Thanks for any thoughts anyone would care to share.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:19:22 PM by mrmagloo »
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Re: Fairing Vibration Again, and Again, and Again...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 12:25:04 AM »

Try the GildePro Kit, or at least the front mount
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Fairing Vibration Again, and Again, and Again...
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 04:01:13 PM »

Try the GildePro Kit, or at least the front mount

Yeah, I'm seeing mix reviews on the Velvaride vs the Glidepro reviews. They seem very similar, both using Urethane, but I did notice the bracket on the Glidepro was much thinner? I'm not sure I want to keep gambling on testing motor mounts at $100 a shot.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.