Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: How Does the SERK Handle for Touring, 350 to 400 mile day rides and quickies  (Read 7043 times)

TheTortoise

How Does the Road King ( SERK ) work for Touring, 350 to 400 mile day rides and quick short rides?

I have owned a 2006 Road Glide and took to Canada and Western US. The bike was great. I kept dreaming of a more classic bike though. So I sold after putting on 12k in 6 months and bought a 2006 BMW K1200S. This bike works for carving turns. Now I need another cruiser. I loved my friends 92 Softtail Custom job, but too loud and now too old for me. I drove a friends 2007 Road Glide from SF to Eureka up and down coast. Much better than the 2006. Engine and tranny work better. In 89 I owned a 87 EG Electra Glide. Did similar tour of Canada and Western US.

I test drove a Street Glide and it was a kick in the pants. With the seat back a bit and lowered with a stiffer rear it just cut up the road. Handling in rear a bit off because of the short travel the bike skips, but still fun.

So the Screaming Eagle Road King has my attention. Nice motor and sits like the Street Glide. Looks good. Can take off the fairing and make a Softtail like bike out of it. Could order a aftermarket bat wing fairing and make a Street Glide too.

So how does this bike cruise. I go fast. I ride hard. I am 49. I am 6'3" and 189lbs. I am very active. I want to do short around town rides, big loops from SF area through Tahoe area and back (350 to 400 in a day) and some touring. The Road Glide is the best tourer. But I want some more character in my ride. I can do the big loops in the K12S but get tired. Lots of wind. I raised the bars a 1" but still....

Does the fairing cause problems with handling. I know I will need the clear larger fairing.

doug
Lafayette, CA
07 KTM 300 XCW
06 BMW K1200S

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange

Welcome to the site Doug.  While I can't anser your questions, I wanted to welcome you to the site and to let you know that there is a LARGE contingent in the SF Bay Area and that we get together quite often for day and/or weekend rides.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black

Doug, welcome to CVO Harley.  The SERK is one of the most versatile platforms in the HD fleet.  There are MANY threads and posts in this forum that will take you a week to read.  Many cover the mods you are looking for.  Hoist just added a King TP and stereo to his.

These bikes come 1" lower than stock from the factory.  For someone 6'3" you might want to make sure it fits you good.  The cruise control, floorboards, footrests, on the mustache bar, and the driver backrest all lend themselves nicely to long rides.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS

You probably won't get very many unbiased opinions here, but here is what I think of mine.

I FRIGGIN LOVE IT!!!

I have almost 10k miles on mine, including a Stugis trip last year, and the bike has preformed incredibly.

I will also note that I have added the Alloy Art TXR, progressive 440's, and a Mustang seat which helps with both the long rides and the twisties.

I don't think you will be dissapointed in the ride.  Now the engine is a different discussion...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 01:34:52 PM by Ghost Rider »

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member

If you get one just stay away from Howie, he'll spend all you money on mods!  ;D :D I have a RK Custom it sits an inch lower too, I have ridden for hours with no complaints on the ride, the lower stance does cause me to scrape the floor board mounts a lot. If you ride hard you'll probably experience the same. You just have to take that into account when getting into a hard high speed turn, you only get so much lean and that's it.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!

First off, welcome aboard Tortoise! Let me start by saying, DON'T LISTEN TO THEM FD GUYS!!! ???

They'll all tell ya that you need a dresser for touring. But I'm here to tell ya the the Road King is HD's best all around touring bike. You get all the capabilities of a dresser, but still have a real motorcycle in front of you. Them fairnings make me feel like I'm in a 2 wheel convertible, not on a bike. They handle better because you don't have that fairing tossing you around. They're less suseptible to the HD dresser wobble because of no fairng too. Plus, they look so damn much better too!!! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Now I'm sure this will piss of most of the FD guys here, who make up the majority of this great site. But then again, so what else is new!!! ::) ;D ;)

Get the SERK. If your 110 engine holds up, you'll be one happy camper with it! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!

If you get one just stay away from Howie, he'll spend all you money on mods!  ;D :D I have a RK Custom it sits an inch lower too, I have ridden for hours with no complaints on the ride, the lower stance does cause me to scrape the floor board mounts a lot. If you ride hard you'll probably experience the same. You just have to take that into account when getting into a hard high speed turn, you only get so much lean and that's it.

Problem solved. Just raise it back to standard height, preferrably with the Traxxion suspension!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"

dont listen to Hoist! my serk feels more stable with the fairing on the front
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE

First off, welcome aboard Tortoise! Let me start by saying, DON'T LISTEN TO THEM FD GUYS!!! ???

They'll all tell ya that you need a dresser for touring. But I'm here to tell ya the the Road King is HD's best all around touring bike. You get all the capabilities of a dresser, but still have a real motorcycle in front of you. Them fairnings make me feel like I'm in a 2 wheel convertible, not on a bike. They handle better because you don't have that fairing tossing you around. They're less suseptible to the HD dresser wobble because of no fairng too. Plus, they look so damn much better too!!! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Now I'm sure this will piss of most of the FD guys here, who make up the majority of this great site. But then again, so what else is new!!! ::) ;D ;)

Get the SERK. If your 110 engine holds up, you'll be one happy camper with it! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
Piss us off?? No way..... we know you aren't right. ;) ::) :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

dont listen to Hoist! my serk feels more stable with the fairing on the front

Neal, is that at "Howie speed," or normal speed?

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"

i dont travle howie speed
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

i dont travle howie speed

That is good to hear.   :2vrolijk_21:

I can't imagine anything feels stable at howie speed.    :'(

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member

Problem solved. Just raise it back to standard height, preferrably with the Traxxion suspension!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08

I owned a 97 superglide tell the Jan 28,2008. I moved up and bought the SERK. I currently have 1675 miles on it right now. This bike as everything I need. It handles corners just like my Super glide did. Its low and the power is awesome. I put passing lamps and RH TDs with SETNR and its great. Waiting for clearview wind shield to arrive. The bags are a little small but workable. People say baggers are for geezers but I disagree.
  The items you can buy for a bagger are awesome. In the military carrying so much crap in a back pack was getting ridiculous. The SERK is the best bike I bought so far.

I hope this helps you while you decide. You might look into floor board extension due to your height.

C-YA!
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!

TheTortoise

Thanks Guys.

From riding the Street Glide (same setup as SERK with out the motor and different fairing ) I will like it.  I like the ability to take off the fairing.

A side note: I loved the ride of the Street Glide and did not like the basic Road King. The basic Road King has a higher seat and sits different. The Street Glide and the SERK sit the same. Lower seat and a bit further back and the rear 1" lower. You feel like you are on a Softtail. The Road King sits higher and not in the bike.

I agree with Hoist. The Road Glide feels like a convertible car. The Street Glide feels like a motorcycle with attitude. So the SERK should be the same. I like the handle bars better on the SERK too.

Also a note: I had bought the Hog Tunes speakers for my 2006 Road Glide and it sounded louder, better and clearer. However after a period of time on the freeway it was just a wall of noise. So I ended up putting speakers in my helmet and connected to Ipod. Better. So radio is not a want for me. Less upper weight is.

Thanks Guys. I will let you know what I do. I have 5.75% financing lined up. New or Used.

doug
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 20 queries.