Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Front End DECELL wobble!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 14825 times)

motosman1

Front End DECELL wobble!!!!!!!!!!
« on: January 15, 2011, 03:19:55 PM »

Had my third customer, this morning, with a potentially violent "headshake" only when decelling from anything above 50mph. All three cases the same symptoms. 2010 and 2011 (today was the first 2011) FLTRSE, less than 3000 mi., one with stock windshield, two with Klok Werks. 4th, 5th or 6th gear, roll off throttle to slow down. As speedo reaches apx. 45mph, slight wobble begins and increases until apx. 35 mph, then quits. Found strg. head set at 3-4 full swings, adjusted to 1 1/4 swings. Bikes will still set up a headshake at same conditions, BUT only if hands are not on bars. Better, but I know there is still a geometry issue not addressed yet. No such irrepairable complaints from "Batwing" fairing owners, only fixed fairing bikes. Already investigated the more obvious/traditional points: tires, air psi, runout, alignment etc... Hard to believe in frame flex, but is the new frame TOO rigid? Does the "Batwing" fairing act as a spoiler to mask the condition?  ??? I've seen this condition as far back as 2001. I can't come up with a solution until I understand the cause. ANY help? Anybody? :nixweiss:

motosman1

Re: Front End DECELL wobble!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 03:25:28 PM »

I know......I've already used the MOCO scapegoat of "at no time should you remove both hands from the bars" to buy myself a little time. BUT I know someting is amiss!

BryantH

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO SERG - Silver 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 05:43:58 PM »

Had the same exact problem on my 09 SERG. Hands off the bars from 45 - 35 and she did an extreme dance. Hands lightly on the bars, she still danced upon slowing down or coasting but not as bad. Explained situation to dealer and was told never to ride with hands off the bars. One of the techs took her for a spin and came back and approached the shop manager and said, he's right - the bike shouldn't do that even if he takes his hands off bars. I veleive it shook him up a bit.

He tightened the neck bearing to the specs of the 08 (I think that's what he said) and I have been problem free for 12,000 miles (hands off or on bars at any speed). This occured when my SERG had 3,000 or so miles.

BryantH

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 06:13:04 PM »

This is nothing new. Roadglides have had this problem for many years. Just don't let go of the handle bars is the only fix.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 06:39:07 PM »

Had the de-cell issue with my hands of bars too, worse if the tourpak was on. I have found this bike is very sensitive to front fork oil being left in for recomended time. Wobble went away with the neck properly adjusted, and fresh fork oil :orange:
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 06:46:32 PM »

This is nothing new. Roadglides have had this problem for many years. Just don't let go of the handle bars is the only fix.

Really?  None of my Roadglides had this issue...   :nixweiss:

Not that I doubt some are experiencing this problem, but there has to be a cause that can be diagnosed and corrected...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

mhoppe

• 11 FLTRUSE 10 FLHXSE 09 FLTRSE 05 VRSCE 06 FLSTFSE
    • FL

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2019CVO RoadGlide
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 08:13:21 PM »

I had an 09 FLHTRSE no problem. The first ride out on my 11 FLTRUSE  I almost dumped the motorcycle. HD South technician took it for a spin and came back right away and adjusted the neck bearing torque.
No more issues.

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 10:03:03 PM »

They are awesome bikes, but if you haven't experienced this you are one of the lucky ones. Just be aware there is a issue with this. tightening the steering head bearings does help, but does not give a explanation for the problem. Do a search, this has been around for several years with the Road Glides. I have buddy with a 09 and his will tank slap the bars if you don't grab the bars. And the head bearing have been tightened. If he is slowing down and lets the bars go below 35 mph, his front end with start wobbling and if not stopped will go from a wobble to a full blown tank slap.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 10:47:57 PM »

Would a Traxxion Dynamics front end solve this problem? ???

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 10:51:49 PM »

I would think a steering stabilizer like they put on the trikes would be the ticket. Rather than over tightening the steering bearings.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 08:53:55 AM »

Really?  None of my Roadglides had this issue...   :nixweiss:

Not that I doubt some are experiencing this problem, but there has to be a cause that can be diagnosed and corrected...
With the Traxxion I had the decel wobble. Tightened up steering head and all better. The further back I adjusted the king tp on the George Anderson relocator the worse the decel wobble reared it's ugly head. I think there was a spec change to the fall away test but I can't find the document. Anybody else have that info??

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 09:59:55 AM »

With the Traxxion I had the decel wobble. Tightened up steering head and all better. The further back I adjusted the king tp on the George Anderson relocator the worse the decel wobble reared it's ugly head. I think there was a spec change to the fall away test but I can't find the document. Anybody else have that info??

This might be what you're looking for:

Jerry

BTW, one of the earlier posts is absolutely correct, the actual cause of the problem isn't the head bearings.  But head bearing adjustment is critical to controlling the situation, as well as it is to the life of the bearings and races.  A thorough review of things like rake and trail might give folks a better understanding of the root cause.  Also a trip down memory lane to the days of those spinning tops and other toys.  Remember how they would lose their tight rotation and start to wobble and spiral as they slowed?
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

motosman1

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 12:04:26 PM »

Update!!! Just got a call from the owner of the bike in question. Fortunately he is somewhat of a do-it-yourselfer. The bike left our shop with apx. 1 1/4 swings in FE. After a twenty mile ride back to his house, he put the bike on a Fat Jack and measured 3 1/2-4 swings. He said the stem nut and pinch bolts were tight. He had the tool to reach the spanner nut so adjusted down to only 1 swing. Rode bike over the weekend and said he cannot MAKE the FE shake, even with no hands on bars! He saw the 1 1/4 swing and watched me torque the nut and pinch bolts, so it was set to factory specs. Service manual (section 1.20) says 1 swing minimum, 2 swings max. Possible that the races were not fully seated? Apparently 1 full swing, possibly a little less, is the proper spec???????????????

motosman1

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 12:11:15 PM »

OBTW- This may be the "fix" but I still have NO technical explanation!

Pony Boy

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 12:55:38 PM »

I have a 2011 SERG and i had the same problem out of the box.....It may be the front tire....my dealer adjusted the "fallaway" with no change... put on a wheel from diffferent bike and ...TA.. DA! no issue... they removed the tire and spun the wheel no issues... placed on difernet new tire and re-installed on bike... Issue gone.... the Dunlop tires are hit or miss.....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 21 queries.