Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Front End DECELL wobble!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 14827 times)

cwright2

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Front End DECELL wobble!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 11:38:15 AM »

I had a 03 had a bad front tire which cause the Walpole replaced it and it went away. Never had a issue with my 09. But my 2011 right out of the box at 35, it was pretty violent. Dealer adjusted the head and it went away, but it is back again now. I believe the neck bearings were not seated properly.

motosman1

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 07:30:20 PM »

I think I'm to the point of accepting that the neck brg. races were not fully seated in the frame. Only makes sense that other bikes I adjusted at 10,000, 20,000 and 30,000 mi. services have not had repeat incidences. Thanks for all the input!

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 10:46:54 PM »

just experienced this for myself just got going on some errands went to pull jacket sleeves down to cover my gloves and away it went kinda freaked me out  hope they get a fix for it
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 07:07:37 AM »

This problem is not new to the FLT"S. I bought my FLTC back in 1991 & had to address this issue from day 1. I've had everything checked out & their is no explanation for the wobble. Back in 1991 MOCO said you were not to ride with no hands. I've replaced tires over the years & no help. About 12 years ago I added new chrome lower legs & it did help but didn't fix it. It did make it better. BUT you never know when it will go into a wobble. I've been told it has something to do with the fixed fairing. It has never done it at high speeds, just @ 35mph.It is just a characteristic of the beast. My new 2011 FLHTCUSE6  doesn't have that handling issue. I guess after riding a FLT for 20 years I wanted to try a batwing fairing bike. So far I like my new ride.
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 07:46:08 AM »

19k mi on mine and the problem has always come and gone. had the neck adjusted, front tire change, traxxion, it just comes and goes ?  ???
a.k.a  Dent Dude

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 07:53:48 AM »

I have 86K on my 1989 FLT & still have the problem once in a while!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 08:56:23 AM »

This is nothing new. Roadglides have had this problem for many years. Just don't let go of the handle bars is the only fix.

Don't let go the handlebars? I thought that safety first includes keeping your hands on the Handles at all times. I guess i'll never notice this issue , since I ALWAYS have my hands on the bars. :oops: :oops:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 08:59:03 AM »

Don't let go the handlebars? I thought that safety first includes keeping your hands on the Handles at all times. I guess i'll never notice this issue , since I ALWAYS have my hands on the bars. :oops: :oops:
And how pray tell, do you reload when returning fire?  :jack: har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 09:14:11 AM »

::)   Take a close look at the front end specifications for a 1980 and later touring model, especially the rake, and the propensity for "wobbles" might become more easily understood.  A front end designed for quicker turning will tend to also be more "twitchy".  Everything is a tradeoff.

As for riding around with your hands off the bars, other than reloading as mentioned by spyder, why would you do that?  If someone is only experiencing the wobble when riding with no hands on the bars, they don't have a (motorcycle) problem.  If there is a wobble with your hands on the bars, then that is a problem.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 09:48:09 AM »

With the Traxxion I had the decel wobble. Tightened up steering head and all better. The further back I adjusted the king tp on the George Anderson relocator the worse the decel wobble reared it's ugly head. I think there was a spec change to the fall away test but I can't find the document. Anybody else have that info??

I had the same problem and I believe I've previously posted here somewhere on it .  When we removed the QD Tourpak (which is set further back) the wobble disappeared. When the HD Tech adjusted the neck bearing the wobble was still there albeit diminished somewhat. Tourpak off...no wobble. They agreed with me that it shouldn't do this and sympathised with me on me finding it hard to accept...but they stated they already knew Had's answer...you should NEVER ride without both hands on the bars!  "Failure to comply could result in injury or death".  Their cover-all :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:31:54 PM by Beemer »

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 03:59:29 PM »

just experienced this for myself just got going on some errands went to pull jacket sleeves down to cover my gloves and away it went kinda freaked me out  hope they get a fix for it

I fixed mine by setting the swing to just barely 1 swing.  ...That swing test in my opinion is bogus , How do you get an accurate swing with all the chit going through the instrument pod. .. You don't.  When those come down the line , the triple tree is put on the bike, adjusted  then all the other chit goes on after the fact and it isn't checked or adjusted again... RG's  are a bit different then the batwing bikes due to the faring, and the weight of the other stuff in the faring, have to run the RG's tighter...   
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
Front End DECELL wobble!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 10:33:29 PM »

I got to stay off these forums.... This sounds scary- luckily Ive never experienced this and hopefully never will. I quit reading the twin cam section on this forum because of all the " my engine blew up" threads.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 10:17:28 PM »

Mine developed this shake problem as the tires, both front and rear, became more "cupped" around 10,000 miles, it now has gotten much worse at 12250 miles. I am going to replace the tires next week. The roar from the cupped tires is more annoying than the shake, noise is all the time, shake is just when hands are off the bars.

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »

I've had the 2009 cvo road glide and now the 2011 cvo street glide new front tire after 400 miles proper head bolt adjustments,better but I've found the only way to stop the shake is pull in the clutch at decel no shake ,only happened at 45-to 35 on both bikes,try pullinngin the clutch and see what happens

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 08:38:15 AM »

I've had the 2009 cvo road glide and now the 2011 cvo street glide new front tire after 400 miles proper head bolt adjustments,better but I've found the only way to stop the shake is pull in the clutch at decel no shake ,only happened at 45-to 35 on both bikes,try pullinngin the clutch and see what happens

Sounds like you're talking about a different kind of "shake".  Engine shake that vibrates the fairing when coasting down in gear, especially below 2000 rpm, has been around for a very long time.  If that's what you're referring to, then yes pulling the clutch lever once you reach the affected engine speed on coast down will eliminate that.  So will a better tune at low speeds and idle.  A true front end wobble, however, will not be eliminated by disengaging the clutch.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.