Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Consensus of opinions about windshields for SERGU  (Read 8127 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Consensus of opinions about windshields for SERGU
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 01:25:04 PM »

Interesting windshield TC. Looks like somebody took a stock shield and modified it slightly along the same lines as a Klock Werks. I use an 8" KW for day rides and a 14" Clearview for distance riding. Course I don't do much of that anymore with the stenosis getting progressively worse, but I'm loath to part with it. The reason by the way I don't have a tall KW is that the distortion factor on a tall KW is really gnarly. Always nice to hear a report on another brand. I don't see the price mentioned. What did you end up paying with your discount ?

B B

This one is different, for shure, B B...where it makes those funky curves, there is definitely distortion of view, but you're really never looking through that part of the shield when riding, so it's not a big deal.  There is a very slight recurve at the top of the shield, but there is no distortion there.  I'm not sure if that is for asthetics or for air flow...whichever the case, it works well.  The shield is a thicker material that the stocker, so there's no vibration, and the Light Gray tint is perfect...not too dark.  The total, with shipping from Californication was $209, which included the new well nuts and hardware to mount the shield without the gasket.  The wellnuts are of a better quality than the stock ones, IMO.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

johnnyboy

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 05:05:43 PM »

Did you have to open up the fairing to use their well nuts? Was the install difficult?

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 05:13:03 PM »

There's no need to get into your fairing to use the new wellnuts. They slide in easily from the outside. Make sure you use the plastic washers included and do not overtighten or you risk cracking your new windshield (screen)

B B

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 11:56:29 AM »

There's no need to get into your fairing to use the new wellnuts. They slide in easily from the outside. Make sure you use the plastic washers included and do not overtighten or you risk cracking your new windshield (screen)

B B

What he said...it's not a big deal to change.

TTS Mastertune

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 06:19:02 PM »

We have done a couple rides lately on windy days and my bsr complains mightly about buffeting.  I took the bike out with my 3/4 helmet and immediately noticed buffeting that I did not with my modular.  I may need a taller wind screen because the slip stream over the stock shield hits me right in the visor on my 3/4.  Will wait a while and check conditions before I decide.  Did I read somewhere that Clockworks is coming out with a new shield for this bike?

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 08:47:06 PM »

We have done a couple rides lately on windy days and my bsr complains mightly about buffeting.  I took the bike out with my 3/4 helmet and immediately noticed buffeting that I did not with my modular.  I may need a taller wind screen because the slip stream over the stock shield hits me right in the visor on my 3/4.  Will wait a while and check conditions before I decide.  Did I read somewhere that Clockworks is coming out with a new shield for this bike?

I think with a BSR you'd be better served calling Clearview and having a conversation with them about the whole subject. They would ask you a bunch of questions and custom make you a windshield that protects you and your BSR with the least amount of lexan in front of you.

B B

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 09:40:08 PM »

I think with a BSR you'd be better served calling Clearview and having a conversation with them about the whole subject. They would ask you a bunch of questions and custom make you a windshield that protects you and your BSR with the least amount of lexan in front of you.

B B
Thanks B B.  Have a clearview on my cuse2 and like it fine.  I will check into that option.  :2vrolijk_21:

IBA member # 45520

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 12:03:44 PM »

Thanks B B.  Have a clearview on my cuse2 and like it fine.  I will check into that option.  :2vrolijk_21:

The only caveat and I should have mentioned it in my earlier post is that the larger Clearviews, ones with enough sq inches to provide protection for your BSR sitting up and above you tend to resemble those monstrosities that come on Honda Gold Wings. I had one made for my wife and it was just sooooooooooo damn large I couldn't deal with the looks. I know that sounds pretty lame but I couldn't. I'd added the H-D chrome windshield trim to the fairing as well and from the front my RG looked so much like a Gold Wing I stripped off the chrome strips and sold the Clearview on the site here to somebody. Never heard back from them as to whether or not they used it as is/was or had it cut down (which would ruin the reverse curve) At the end of all this Jerry ( it is Jerry right ? ) I have to say to you and everyone else, there is no perfect windshield for all uses. The 12" Klockwerks is fantastic for normal protection from the elements for a solo rider but the rain tends to run off the part of it that provides downforce on your front end and that rain gets blown right at your face. A Clearview set up for you personally is your best bet for solo riding but I am sure your BSR gets some buffeting. A Clearview set up for your BSR is most likely going to be forcing you to look through it for the top few inches. And as I said, they do get fugly as hell once they're 1/2 the size of Rhode Island. What have I done ? I have an 8" Klockwerks that I keep on LD 90% of the time. Most of my riding these days is confined to under 200 miles spread out over an entire day. I have a nice standard height Clearview that works very well for me for long distance riding - - - something I haven't done in four years and am not sure if I am still able- - that's another story. I should end this by saying that in talking with people, and reading the posts on this site, everyone seems to have their favorite Mfg, style and height. I guess it's just one more thing that is relative to your body shape, riding style and other variables.
B B
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:07:39 PM by Spiderman »

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 01:52:19 PM »

The only caveat and I should have mentioned it in my earlier post is that the larger Clearviews, ones with enough sq inches to provide protection for your BSR sitting up and above you tend to resemble those monstrosities that come on Honda Gold Wings. I had one made for my wife and it was just sooooooooooo damn large I couldn't deal with the looks. I know that sounds pretty lame but I couldn't. I'd added the H-D chrome windshield trim to the fairing as well and from the front my RG looked so much like a Gold Wing I stripped off the chrome strips and sold the Clearview on the site here to somebody. Never heard back from them as to whether or not they used it as is/was or had it cut down (which would ruin the reverse curve) At the end of all this Jerry ( it is Jerry right ? ) I have to say to you and everyone else, there is no perfect windshield for all uses. The 12" Klockwerks is fantastic for normal protection from the elements for a solo rider but the rain tends to run off the part of it that provides downforce on your front end and that rain gets blown right at your face. A Clearview set up for you personally is your best bet for solo riding but I am sure your BSR gets some buffeting. A Clearview set up for your BSR is most likely going to be forcing you to look through it for the top few inches. And as I said, they do get fugly as hell once they're 1/2 the size of Rhode Island. What have I done ? I have an 8" Klockwerks that I keep on LD 90% of the time. Most of my riding these days is confined to under 200 miles spread out over an entire day. I have a nice standard height Clearview that works very well for me for long distance riding - - - something I haven't done in four years and am not sure if I am still able- - that's another story. I should end this by saying that in talking with people, and reading the posts on this site, everyone seems to have their favorite Mfg, style and height. I guess it's just one more thing that is relative to your body shape, riding style and other variables.
B B
Thanks again B B.  Definitely do not want that 'wing' look, no offense to anyone with one - just not for me.   There seems to be enough room in all that chit up front that they could put an electrically adjustable wind screen ala BMW. 

Jerry

IBA member # 45520

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 01:57:15 PM »

Thanks again B B.  Definitely do not want that 'wing' look, no offense to anyone with one - just not for me.   There seems to be enough room in all that chit up front that they could put an electrically adjustable wind screen ala BMW.  

Jerry

Corbin makes an adjustable wind screen /shield Jerry.

OOPS  sorry, I just checked, looks like it's for Road Kings and non fared metrics only   

B B
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:59:56 PM by Spiderman »

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 10:08:20 PM »

>:( :(

Anyone use the National Cycle Stream or the new Wave shields.  I have the Stream on my 09 CVO Ultra and was wondering if anyone has tried either on the Ultra Glide.  On my 09, the National Stream is a very good shield.

Getting ready for my new Ultra Glide to arrive in two weeks.

:coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 10:52:29 AM »

Anyone seen or tried this one from Kuryakyn (p/n 1364)?  Wonder who makes this for them.  Is this considered a 14" shield.

IBA member # 45520

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 12:26:54 PM »

Anyone seen or tried this one from Kuryakyn (p/n 1364)?  Wonder who makes this for them.  Is this considered a 14" shield.

Jerry
       As I understand it, the number listed for screens and shields is the vertical height so I'd say the answer to your question is YES. Given what I've seen with the Clearview and the Klockwerks that I have, the one you've pictured for us looks to be a good design. My experience with Kuryakyn is that their products are well designed and well made and hold up.

B B

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2011, 04:05:08 PM »

Looks very much like the Cee Bailey I have, and they call it a 14" as well.

TTS Mastertune

LUV2RYD

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 11:21:57 PM »

I have the Kury and like it fine and the look is not bad.  When we test rode the bike BSR said NO way unless we can get a shield to take care of the wind buffeting.  Dealer recommended this one and ordered it in for us to test before we said "I DO".  It made a huge difference in the wind currents to my BSR, she now says the wind is no greater than what she experienced on our '07 Ultra CVO.  If you do much night riding the glare off the tach and speedo may bug you some tho.  I'm 5'9" and my line of vision is an inch or so below the top of shield. 
'15 CVO Road Glide Ultra Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset
'03 Heritage Classic 100th Silver/Blk
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 21 queries.