Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: HID light upgrade  (Read 6678 times)

Tweet

• Tweet
  • 1K CVO Member
    • WY

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
HID light upgrade
« on: March 26, 2011, 10:54:48 AM »

Good morning all,

I am wondering if anyone has installed the H4 high/low Bi-Xenon HID headlight system from Xtralights.  My FLTRUSE has two H4 lamps in the headlight bucket from the factory.  The HID lamps Xtralights sent me look like an H4 socket, but they do not have a flat on the base of the mounting surface like the original H4 bulbs.  As a result, the HID bulbs will not fit into the headlight bucket flush.  Do we have to grind out a flat on the HID lamp or grind on the Harley D. headlight bucket to get these to fit!  I wish I could send out a picture of this, but someone "borrowed" my camera in Afghanistan last November.

Thanks in advance.
Tweet
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:12:40 PM by Tweet »

Tweet

• Tweet
  • 1K CVO Member
    • WY

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
Re: HID light upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 11:16:35 PM »

Hello again!  I updated my original post with a picture of the headlight bucket.  Has anyone had a problem getting their HID lamps to fit in this style of socket?  If so, did you grind a flat on the bulb or grind out the flat spot on the bucket?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:29:12 PM »

Hello again!  I updated my original post with a picture of the headlight bucket.  Has anyone had a problem getting their HID lamps to fit in this style of socket?  If so, did you grind a flat on the bulb or grind out the flat spot on the bucket?

If there really is an option that still allows the new bulb to fit and stay put then alter the bulb and not the bike.  Who knows when you might blow a bulb some days from home on a road trip and have to grab a regular H4 bulb to keep going.  Keep you options open whenever you can.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 07:46:51 AM »

Looks like you have the new style headlight housing that alloww you to change the headlight bulbs from the from front. I have never had one apart but the clear housings must somehow hindge forward to allow for bulb change.  :nixweiss:

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

rdawg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red AKA "Red Rider"
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 12:00:37 PM »

Looks like you have the new style headlight housing that alloww you to change the headlight bulbs from the from front. I have never had one apart but the clear housings must somehow hindge forward to allow for bulb change.  :nixweiss:

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad

Not to hijac the thread, but I have my bezel off right now to clean some bees out.  There are just these 4 small screws to get the headlight housing off.

SimonNottsUK

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Frosted Ivory & Vintage Gold (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon Dust & Charcoal Slate (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2018 FLHXSE Gunship Grey
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 12:25:15 PM »

Where, and how hard do you need to pry to get the black bezel off?

Thinking about adding better bulbs, just not had to courage to 'pry' yet.  :confused5:

Simon

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 12:30:29 PM »

I will be interested to see some before and after photos when HIDs are installed.  I find the stock headlight(s) on the RUSE far, far superior to what I've had on my three ultras.  The '06 and '07 CUSEs were pitiful and that is being generous.  HID works wonders for my '07 but not sure how much a difference it will make on the RUSE.

Or maybe I am getting tired of spending so many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on 'upgrades' and am trying to convince myself that it is just fine as is.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 12:54:20 PM »

I will be interested to see some before and after photos when HIDs are installed.  I find the stock headlight(s) on the RUSE far, far superior to what I've had on my three ultras.  The '06 and '07 CUSEs were pitiful and that is being generous.  HID works wonders for my '07 but not sure how much a difference it will make on the RUSE.

Or maybe I am getting tired of spending so many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on 'upgrades' and am trying to convince myself that it is just fine as is.

Jerry, just for one point of comparison I didn't do HID on my Road Glide.  I did put in the newer reflector.  So the comparison is comparable to the new bikes.  That reflector assembly and a couple of good Silverstar bulbs make it fine to ride at night.  The HID in the Electra Glide might reach out just a tiny bit farther on high beam.  But not much. 

The Electra Glide was dangerous at night with the stock lighting.  HID made it safe to ride at night.  The Road Glide is fine at night with just the good bulbs and what would be  your stock reflector.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 12:55:01 PM »

Where, and how hard do you need to pry to get the black bezel off?

Thinking about adding better bulbs, just not had to courage to 'pry' yet.  :confused5:

Simon
I am with you.  Like to see some photos of how the bezel attaches.  All the service manual says is to 'carefully pry bezel from front of the motorcycle.'  I would sure like a little more information/instruction that this on how it attaches/removes.

IBA member # 45520

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 12:55:50 PM »

Jerry, just for one point of comparison I didn't do HID on my Road Glide.  I did put in the newer reflector.  So the comparison is comparable to the new bikes.  That reflector assembly and a couple of good Silverstar bulbs make it fine to ride at night.  The HID in the Electra Glide might reach out just a tiny bit farther on high beam.  But not much. 

The Electra Glide was dangerous at night with the stock lighting.  HID made it safe to ride at night.  The Road Glide is fine at night with just the good bulbs and what would be  your stock reflector.
I hear you Don.  Thanks.

IBA member # 45520

rdawg

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 01:42:33 PM »

I can take a pic of the bezel to show the tabs...

rdawg

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 01:49:19 PM »

Here are some photos of the back side of the bezel.  I used a small blade screwdriver wrapped in teflon tape to keep from scratching the fairing.

ultrafxr

• 5k CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 06:12:04 PM »

Here are some photos of the back side of the bezel.  I used a small blade screwdriver wrapped in teflon tape to keep from scratching the fairing.
My J&M headset came with like a wooden tongue depressor to aid in pushing the wires between the helmet shell and the liner.  Wonder if that would work to get between the outer fairing and the bezel to pry it off and not scratch the paint on the fairing.

IBA member # 45520

Trimster

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 99 FXR2
    • CVO2: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 09:01:45 PM »

My J&M headset came with like a wooden tongue depressor to aid in pushing the wires between the helmet shell and the liner.  Wonder if that would work to get between the outer fairing and the bezel to pry it off and not scratch the paint on the fairing.

It may Jerry, it does not take much pressure or prying to "pop" or release the tabs at all.
Al

Glenncarp

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 12:12:15 AM »

I did the upgrade and I will NEVER ride with stock "yellow" lights again. No need for high beams with HID and no one has flashed me yet.

Word to the wise though, you will most likley loose your garage door opener with the headlight high beam switch. I had to take the fairing off and have my audio tech spend an hour to trouble shoot the problem. He added a hot wire to somewhere in the HID wiring, I think it must have been to the highbeams, but all works fine now after $90 extra to the audio tech and two days of sweating in my garage getting the fairing on and lined up perfectly!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.