Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: throttle by wire  (Read 2809 times)

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
throttle by wire
« on: April 06, 2011, 02:19:32 PM »

Just got back from AZ Bikefest and noticed that the longer I rode the throttle was getting more and more difficult to return to closed ..by the time I got home I was having to physically close the throttle .. I was using cruise ctrl for a lot of the trip anyone have any ideas if problem more likely to br in the hand grip area throttle body or cruise ?? just looking to see if anyone else has experienced this before I go visit the stealer (still under warranty ) just not impressed with their diag ability
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: throttle by wire
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 02:23:29 PM »

Interestingly, I had the same problem in Az. last week.  I even asked Bill if he knew much about it.  My bike wouldn't idle down below 2,000-2,100 rpm unless I manually turned the throttle back past the normal point. 

Once my bike sit, turned off for awhile, when I restarted it, it was fine. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 03:27:19 PM »

I think is the arizona air. When I get to phoenix I get my heart rate over rev too. Gotta Love Arizona!! :2vrolijk_21:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 04:05:46 PM »

I had the problem show up on mine after I had about 1000 miles on it.  I took it into the dealer and the throttle grip was pushed on too far at the factory and was binding against the switch housing. s They slid the grip back a little and haven't had an issue since.  Perhaps yours might be close enough that when it expands from heat, it binds against the housing.  Moving it back a little might fix your problem.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 06:00:02 PM »

I had the problem show up on mine after I had about 1000 miles on it.  I took it into the dealer and the throttle grip was pushed on too far at the factory and was binding against the switch housing. s They slid the grip back a little and haven't had an issue since.  Perhaps yours might be close enough that when it expands from heat, it binds against the housing.  Moving it back a little might fix your problem.

:devil:
Definitely not heat didnt start doing it till mojave I could sit at 85mph and let go of the gas and it held steady even turned off the cruise  still did it 3 days later I just checked and its fine ...damn gremlins
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 06:13:03 PM »

Had a minor problem with mine doing this.  All of a sudden it was slow to close.  Just loosened the clamp bolts, worked the throttle a few times and re-tightened the bolts.  Worked fine since then.  Like devil said - it seems to be a mechanical bind in the clamp.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:56:53 AM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 07:49:47 PM »

It's been reported by more than a few folks since the first ones came out in 2008, and most of the time the cause has been as reported by RedDevil and ultrafxr, the grip binding in the switch housing.  There should be a small amount of end play in the grip; if there isn't then loosen the housing screws and create some play, then retighten.  If that doesn't happen to be the problem in your particular case, the other thing that could do the same thing is a bad sensor that's binding.  Have the dealer replace it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »

Thanks guys I just checked and theres about 1/16th inch play (kinda springs back) right now but throttle is working fine now Ill go check with my friendly HD dealer and see what they suggest

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 08:29:54 PM »

Thanks guys I just checked and theres about 1/16th inch play (kinda springs back) right now but throttle is working fine now Ill go check with my friendly HD dealer and see what they suggest

Keep us posted.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »

I think you're talking about a different kind of play than what I was talking about.  Try pushing the grip side to side on the bar (end play).  There should be play in that direction as well, not just rotational play.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 11:38:05 PM »

I think you're talking about a different kind of play than what I was talking about.  Try pushing the grip side to side on the bar (end play).  There should be play in that direction as well, not just rotational play.

Jerry
yep thats where the 1/16 is if I push on the end of the handgrip

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 09:07:37 AM »

yep thats where the 1/16 is if I push on the end of the handgrip

:2vrolijk_21:  OK, we are on the same page.  You have movement when you push the grip toward the switch housing.  How about when you try to pull the grip toward the end of the handlebar from the rest position?  You need play in both directions to assure the grip won't drag.  If you have proper play, then I would definitely have the dealer check out the grip sensor for binding.

Jerry

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.